Holiday Depression

The Holidays can be difficult for many people.

I found myself feeling pretty bad earlier in the evening.

Things are not horrible but they could be a lot better. I've been through a lot of changes in the last few years and most of them aren't for the better.

Does anyone else feel down during the Holidays?

What do you do to snap out of it?

I agree that the holidays can be depressing if you don't have family or friends around you. After all, the holiday season is all about coming together in unity to celebrate something.

I've heard that some people go to soup kitchens to help out or just, you know, being out and about. At least you're around people that way. I have tried that second option before, but personally it's not a very good idea for me because I tend to gravitate towards the malls. You could probably guess what happened next.

If you feel depressed because of the cold weather, try picking up a winter sport such as skiing or snowboarding! It gives you an adrenaline rush and a bunch of endorphins at the end. If you don't like snow, then those sports might just change your mind!

As for me, this will be my final Christmas in Toronto, possibly for a long time, if not for the last time, so I'm planning on making the most of things while I'm still in the big city.

Edited by thephoenix

The Holidays can be difficult for many people.

I found myself feeling pretty bad earlier in the evening.

Things are not horrible but they could be a lot better. I've been through a lot of changes in the last few years and most of them aren't for the better.

Does anyone else feel down during the Holidays?

What do you do to snap out of it?

Depression can really be a bottomless pit. Holidays can easily become difficult. The past 15 years had been bad for me for more than one reason. My doctor got me hooked up with our county mental health which was a real jump start for me and a real awakening also. I was lucky to get a doctor who was ease to 'connect' with. A few prescriptions have been an incredible plus. It at least kept me far away from bridges.

Mental health care can be a major benefit to many people who tend towards depression. Mental health care is not a bad thing, as some people discard even the thought of it. It is there for you and it does help if you're open to it and at a place in time that it could be beneficial to you.

My two cents worth and hope that everyone battling depression during this holiday season will consider these thoughts.:boy:

I find that the holidays is the perfect time to spend with not only family, but with friends you haven't seen or talked to for a long time;

a perfect time to rekindle old memories, and of course making new ones along the way.

Show love to the people you care about!

And NEVER spend a day alone at home, unless you have friends coming over OR if your spending time with your family!

Ahhhhh yes no school for two weeks = cut myelf some slack + take time to appreciate things in life more.

:)

I love Christmas. I am winding up to it now and it is FABULOUS. I have the girls with me this year and it is going to be so exciting and fabulous and beautiful and...

... and I am still going to be alone, even with all my family around me I am going to go to bed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day alone. And yes, there is a hole deep in my soul that bleeds a little. So I will pour myself a glass of whisky on Chistmas Eve and I will sit alone under the Christmas tree and allow myself to cry for a while... then I will creep around filling my son't stocking and hanging it up where he can see it when he wakes in the morning, and lay everyone's presents out on the sofa, get the croissonts ready for breakfast and go to bed with a smile on my face. On Christmas Day I have so many games to play I won't let myself think too much.

Last year there was no one here, only me and Ef and I did exactly the same thing and I had a fab Christmas. Sometimes even the crying is good because it washes the soul and in recognising that hole you stop yourself falling into it... at least I do... I pour tears down it so that even if I fall in I can swim back to the top.

One think I am sure of is that even though there may be no one physically at my side I have a lot of friends who are thinking of me and who love me and if it gets too bad I remember that and think of each one of them, sending blessings and thanks for all they have done for me. That always makes me feel better.