Twas the night before christmas....

....and all through the forums, not an author was stirring, not even in the soapbox :P

Happy Christmas Eve! (It's Christmas day somewhere around the world, but it's still Christmas eve here)

Happy Hanukkah! (Probably too late for potato pancakes and spinning tops)

Happy Kwanzaa (I really don't understand this holiday)

And for those of us that did celebrate it, happy Winter Solstice! (Great holiday that very few people understand, except certain farmers)

It does not matter what faith or cultural background you may come from; I wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season even if it's the tail end now.

PS: I've been wondering does anyone on here know how to roast a goose. I got one this year and don't know what to do with it.

....and all through the forums, not an author was stirring, not even in the soapbox :P

Happy Christmas Eve! (It's Christmas day somewhere around the world, but it's still Christmas eve here)

Happy Hanukkah! (Probably too late for potato pancakes and spinning tops)

Happy Kwanzaa (I really don't understand this holiday)

And for those of us that did celebrate it, happy Winter Solstice! (Great holiday that very few people understand, except certain farmers)

It does not matter what faith or cultural background you may come from; I wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season even if it's the tail end now.

PS: I've been wondering does anyone on here know how to roast a goose. I got one this year and don't know what to do with it.

I have absolutely zero idea as to how to 'cook' a goose, well, other than coming home later than you were supposed to and having a stupid excuse.:lmao:

Thanks for the post!

Merry Christmas! :D

I have absolutely zero idea as to how to 'cook' a goose, well, other than coming home later than you were supposed to and having a stupid excuse.:lmao:

Thanks for the post!

Merry Christmas! :D

:lol:........... I cooked a goose once, and it will be my last time attempt at it! It was so greasy it was uneatable! :lmao: Never again!! I like Prime Rib for x-mas dinner!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!!

It is too late here to go into detail, but remember a goose is like a duck, and roast it with the bird in aroasting pan.1/2 to 1 inch above the pan floor on a trivet/tray/vegatables, to allow the fat to run out of the goose and be collected and to trim any excessive fat. Important GOOSE Fat is nectar so do not throw it away but use for roast potatoes in future weeks. Since the goose is normally very rich, have an unsweetened apple source.

This is taken from a BBC site, and works for English birds My link I have never used USA birds which may be slightly different, I have suggested that you preheat the oven to a higher temperature than recommended. Also if you have a fan oven reduce temperature by 10 to 20 degrees F.

Remove excessive fat from inside of bird cavity and only fill cavity to two thirds full with stuffing

1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas5. suggest preheat 425F and immediately bird is in oven reduce to 190C/375F/Gas5
  2. Prick the skin of the goose all over with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Lay some of the fat removed from the cavity over the thighs to keep them moist.
  3. Cover with Al. foil and place on a rack in the oven with a tray underneath so that you can empty out the fat regularly.
  4. Roast a 4kg/9lb goose for three hours, a 4.5-5kg/10-11lb goose for three-and-a-half hours and a 5.5kg/12lb goose for four hours.
  5. Remove the foil for 30-40 minutes before the end of the cooking time so that the skin can brown and crisp.
  6. To test it is cooked, pierce the fattest part of the thigh with a skewer. If the juices run clear then the bird is done.
  7. Rest for 20-30 minutes, oven turned off with the door ajar, before carving.

Good luck and a Merry Christmas to all