Music Groups, Songs, Artists

The age of boy/girl bands in the United States ended when the 2000's started and it was a sad day. I have to admit I love bands like that. Which is why I listen to Korean pop music. They have countless numbers of boy and girl bands to listen to. And then there's the occasional across-the-Atlantic findings. Like today, I stumbled across The Saturdays on accident on youtube and though I'm not in love with them, I do like them.

And it's like this everytime. I find groups by accident. So I'm asking you folks here since you all live across the waters... what group bands out there would you recommend?

I have an unoriginal taste in music. If they fall into pop music I would probably like them. If the lyrics are meaningful in more ways than one then I would love them. Hence I'm not too thrilled with American pop music at the moment. I could do less with bustin' caps in to people, or sliding credit cards down someone's bum crack, or making people's bed rock and super soaking the sheets. Stupid stupid lyrics in my opinion. Though some of the songs are fun to listen to becuase of the beat of the music and pacing of the lyrics like Sean Kingston's "Fire Burnin'" and C. Lo's "F#$* You." In American music today, if it's not like the said-mentions-befores, it's a repeated chorus or verse that makes a song up and that gets boring really fast.

Hence I love country music because of their lyrics. I love the story telling in Country music. Yeah I'm a love junkie and I love songs about that too (or break ups), and girl/boy band groups would sing often about that, hence why I like them. Because I live in an American centric world I am oblivious to other countries' music for the most part. If I don't go out and look for myself I won't know what's out there. I found out about Girls Aloud years after their first debut (about 3 years ago) and I loved them, albeit a bit late, but still... new fan here. When I was in middle school to high school I came across The Corrs and loved them. I loved the celtic influence in their music. The instrumentals in their music seemed to speak to my soul. So now I love irish/celtic instrumental music. Any directions in that area would be great also.

I do like the single artist. I'm a little monster myself (Lady Gaga) though I'm not obessive like some other fans. I like some Rhianna songs. Beyonce is a must. Cheesy Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat, and Michael Buble I also love. So if you have a person you would recommend I would find and search for that person and test them out. I like rock bands too, though heavy metal music doesn't mix well with my head, though some metal bands have really nice song lyrics. Softer rock for me. I like some Seether songs,Nickleback, Daughtry, (the wussies stuff if you're a true rocker .... haha). I do like some Alice in Chains.

So who would you recommend? Those of you in the markets outside the US... cause I got the Main market of US down.

Judging from my itunes library, you've pretty much downed most of my songs hehe.

You might want to try Owl City. The lead vocalist's voice is kinda weird but some songs really got to me like "If My Heart was a House" and "Vanilla Twilight". I dunno, you might enjoy it.

For slower songs, I have older favorites like Sarah McLachlan's Fallen and Regina Spektor's Samson.

I also liked the band The Script.

I miss The Corrs (which you mentioned). I really should look for their CDs here. I'm pretty sure there is a cassette tape lying somewhere around here also... hehe.

The Corrs were awesome, hands down.

As for me, there is one particular band who i think is a top one: AngelsAndAirwaves.

Their lyrics are so full of energy and they have the power to lift you up when you are down.

I literally can't be sad when i'm listening to them.

Their latest album, LOVE, is probably one of the best alternative-rock albums around these days.

Oh, so you basically love our market :). We certainly still have bands.

There's loads to chose from.

I have to say, I don't like the Saturdays, they are completely manufactured and can't sing live at all. But yeah, recorded they sound quite good.

One of my favourite bands - this is more quirky so you may not like them

Muse -

A boy band that is popular here, courtesy of Simon Cowell, is JLS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0LeFYkM_Yk&feature=channel

I like them.

There's also the Wanted who have recently been popular - have to say I'm not sure about their lyrics, not listened hard enough.

I also like Biffy Clyro (most of the time) - they produced the original of what has been our christmas number one by the x factor winner

I hope you enjoy those for now :)

I would recommend The Wanted. I went to see them in concert in London and even though they can't really sing well, the lyrics are well thought out and they have meaning. Most of the songs are "sappy", by American standards, but underneath all the glitz and glamor is a group of artists who write good songs.

Thanks! People got any more recommendations? Celes that duck swimming song was way weird... heh... like an acid trip on prozac... :P Funny enough I heard of Muse from Stephanie Meyers but avoided them because she liked them and I was like... what can she and I have in common, but they are a pretty good band... Also I think I found a new love in JLS... they are just like Korean pop bands... :D I have postal service in my music list already... good choice... Franz Ferdinand is a bit too punky in music wise for me but I do really like the lyrics a lot in that song.... and owl city too... they are similar to the group Mae which I have in my music library... and the wanted can I say HAAAAAWT! :worship: Adding them too... thanks for the recommendations...

People got more?

So who would you recommend? Those of you in the markets outside the US... cause I got the Main market of US down.

From Finland I could recommend:

In the pop genre Finnish artist Jenni Vartiainen, she's great! Most of the songs can be found in youtube with english translations. Also check out Jippu, PMMP and deffinitely Don Johnson Big Band!

Nightwish, Him, Apocalyptica all play a bit heavier music, but I love them.

From Finland I could recommend:

In the pop genre Finnish artist Jenni Vartiainen, she's great! Most of the songs can be found in youtube with english translations. Also check out Jippu, PMMP and deffinitely Don Johnson Big Band!

Nightwish, Him, Apocalyptica all play a bit heavier music, but I love them.

Awesome... No worries here... I don't have to understand the langauage when I listen to it, knowing what it says is good enough. I didn't understand korean when I first listened to that genre of music but half of my library was made up of Korean music. And now you can throw me in Korea and I'll be able to get places with minimal trouble. :P Thanks. I'll check them out. :D

HIM is awesome! (and in English), my favourite album from them is "And Love Said No: The Greatest Hits 1997-2004"

Right now I'm loving..

Bliss n Eso - Addicted,

30 Seconds to Mars - Attack, The Kill (Bury Me),

Linkin Park,

Eminem,

Slipknot,

The Sounds - a Swedish pop group,

Spineshank,

Sevendust,

Parkway Drive,

Miss May I,

CKY.

HIM is awesome! (and in English), my favourite album from them is "And Love Said No: The Greatest Hits 1997-2004"

Right now I'm loving..

Bliss n Eso - Addicted,

30 Seconds to Mars - Attack, The Kill (Bury Me),

Linkin Park,

Eminem,

Slipknot,

The Sounds - a Swedish pop group,

Spineshank,

Sevendust,

Parkway Drive,

Miss May I,

CKY.

Try HIM's Uneasy Listeing vol 1 & 2

some of the songs are from conserts, some achustic...

Vol 1 has the slow ones and 2 fast songs.

I don't do a lot of pop-py songs...but I'll give it a shot. a lot of this is probably borderline alt/rock

The Feeling

The Gossip

Fitz and the Tantrums

Franz Ferdinand

Florence and the Machine

Marina and the Diamonds

Mika

Ok Go

Passion Pit

Phoenix

you might try classic glam/pop too

Abba

Elton

The Electric Light Orchestra

are always fun.

The duck song is amazing :). Glad you like some of the ones I suggested.

These are some older boybands - they're not current, but still 2000's.

Blue

Duncan James is bisexual - so, maybe slight chance there ;).

5ive - I used to love them cap.gif.

http://http://www.yo...feature=channel

I'll try to think of more :)

Edited by Celes

BoyBands - UK

Westlife, IL Divo, One Direction

Not sure for USA

There are a lot of actors that are into music Tony Oller, Teddy Geiger, etc

Still its a matter of what songs they Cover or produce ... ie: 1/2 the songs x-direction sang wasn't right for their voices.

The Back street boys haven't produce a good song in years

Its a challenge to hear a new song and a good one

Make you wonder long timer bands like Grateful Dead, U2, Metallica

someone mention abba ... well A-Teens sang almost two cd of abba songs before try to break into their own songs and then called it quits as they exited teen years

I probably have one of the weirdest tastes in music ever. Here's what I recommend:

Sara Bareilles

Neon Trees

Owl City

Robyn

Paramore

OneRepublic

Postal Service (they only made one album back in 2004)

A Fine Frenzy

Melody Gardot

Sia

Crystal Castles

Sky Sailing (an acoustic Owl City)

Eliza Doolittle

I know what I'll be doing this weekend some... thanks

More please :P

Hey, have fun browsing our suggestions! Let us know what you liked and not so liked! :music:

There were a few that I'm gonna check out too :D

My listening tastes are all over the map. Ask me on any given day and I'll tell you something else.

For more or less "mainstream" acts in a couple of different genres, I like these guys:

(country-pop) (I'm actually gonna write and post a story inspired by this song and a young man I met this past summer)

(rock)

A Rocket to the Moon (emo-tinged rock)

I'm sure you know the Korean group The Wonder Girls? Their "

" song was quiiiite a hit when I was in Singapore this summer.

Can't help you with boybands - apologies - and I'm generally lost in my world of classical. :) But, I quite like the Swedish Laleh (

) and the American indie Bon Iver (
).