• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to reading Purpose. The calendar makes no allowances for a tax accountant. Posted Image

Thanks, Andy, for another great story. I'm not a great fan of fantasy, but you used the most important of human emotions to hold my interest so that I had to read it all. Purpose is entertaining, exciting, and touching.

Reflecting on the story, I think it shouldn't be a great surprise that a prosecuting attorney would write about vengeance being meted out to criminals who otherwise escape justice. Could it be that Gar/Will/Purpose is an alter ego fantasy?

• Like 1

Mike,

My personal take on fantasy is that if you get too bogged down in the 'details' of the 'fantasy' you lose people. There are a few things draw readers into a story, details on super powers, wizardry, space ship technology - probably aren't high on the list. To me, it's the characters and how they interact with each other. I tried to do that with Purpose - to create a dynamic between Will and Ryan, while showing the internal struggle Ryan's arrival unleashed inside Gar/Will. To me, the vengeance and super powers were a side plot to the the relationship between the two.

As for alter ego? No, I don't lose sleep over those who escape justice, they always get theirs in the end. It was an idea that came to me watching a movie where a sub character was really cool and from that the story spiraled into existence. I had envisioned a series with this originally, focused more on the supernatural than the emotional, but after writing this, I don't think that would be as easy to do create as I envisioned at first.

But we'll see. I just have a few other things I want to do first. As with tax season, life with baby is a bit of a time demand - just a bit :P

Thanks as always -

Andy

Purpose is now complete - thanks to everyone who read and commented, you were a motivation to keep going and see this to the end.

Purpose: Epilogue

I left the ending as I did to generate a debate - who is Will talking to at the end? You tell me. I know who I think it is, but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Maybe after a time, I'll let folks know my thoughts, but I want to know what others think before I do that. Comment away, ask questions, but I won't give you a straight answer to who the passenger is, at least not for a time.

Andy

Seeing as it's been about a month, and, well, the guesses aren't exactly flowing in anymore (not that I can see, anyway... :P), I would say...

(In my best calling voice)

Andyyyyyyy!! You got some 'splainin' to doooo!! :P

0:)

• Like 1

Seeing as it's been about a month, and, well, the guesses aren't exactly flowing in anymore (not that I can see, anyway... Posted Image), I would say...

(In my best calling voice)

Andyyyyyyy!! You got some 'splainin' to doooo!! Posted Image

Posted Image

Do I really now? Okay, but I'll put it in a spoiler for those who don't want to read it.

The person in the car is Ryan. He never died, but he 'died' to all the world. Frosty picked it up immediately as she was editing the last chapter - before the epilogue or the journal entry - and I was worried it was too obvious. No body recovered - that we know of - no autopsy, closed casket, go back and read the wording, Ryan was gone, just like Gar and now Will were gone, dead. They are starting over.

That's at least how I intended it to be taken.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the spoiler. At least I am at peace with the story now, just not the next episode! Seattle is it? I miss your writing so much.

Can't believe I missed this til now. Sorry. Yeah well, when I wrote the beginning, Ryan wanted to get away, far away from where it hurt the most. I'd say that is about as far away as possible.

As for my writing, well if you're a premium member, I have something that's starting in the premium section. If you're not a premium member please consider joining, not just to read it, but to support the site.

That story - Chosen of Honorus is once again, something different for me. One of these days I need to settle down and pick one genre. I'm not sure I can pick just one. But we'll see.

Thanks as always

somewhat grim, more than i conscientiously say I like..............but the overall concoction is magnificent!

Yeah this was somewhat grim. I'd say the grim was limited to the beginning but the end wasn't all roses and champagne either. I wanted something different, modern, dark, romance, character driven. I'm glad you liked it. I think it is my favorite story posted - for now. 0:)

• 2 months later...

Do I really now? Okay, but I'll put it in a spoiler for those who don't want to read it.

The person in the car is Ryan. He never died, but he 'died' to all the world. Frosty picked it up immediately as she was editing the last chapter - before the epilogue or the journal entry - and I was worried it was too obvious. No body recovered - that we know of - no autopsy, closed casket, go back and read the wording, Ryan was gone, just like Gar and now Will were gone, dead. They are starting over.

That's at least how I intended it to be taken.

Oh, good. This is one of my conclusions based on the reasons you stated... and the conclusion I liked the best. In my review I stated maybe David didn't die when I meant Ryan. Thanks for the spoiler and a great story.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, so now I don't feel so bad knowing that Ryan is not dead. I was truly hoping that it was just a ruse but could never say for sure. I know life isn't always fair and bad things happen to good people...trust me, I know that one....but I still hope and wish for a happy ending. Thanks for sharing this with us so none of us go crazy, well anymore, then we already are, wondering about Ryan. Posted Image

• Like 1

I'll be honest, when I began writing this, I expected Ryan would die and the 'Jake' character would be the next host. But as this went on, I felt this was the best way to end it. If I tried to write a sequel, it would lose what I thought was/is the major strength of the story - the evolution of Gar back to Will. That won't be there in any future stories so it would end up being more of series of 'events' i.e. a mission or a killing or whatever. I don't feel that is or would be as good or engaging as this one. But that's just me.

Thanks for reading and the comments. Let me know if you need any suggestions for who else to read. I'm always opinionated 0:)