Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changes to posted chapters

I try very hard for accuracy, and to get the details right, but every so often, I put my foot in it. :ph34r:

There will be changes to chapters 44, 71, and 72. These changes will not affect the plot.

In chapter 44, the narration mentioned Trevor checking to see if the safety was off. Well, this one is embarrassing for me, because I'm a gun guy: Trevor's gun is a chrome plated Magnum .357 Smith and Wesson revolver. Those guns, with rare exception, do not have a safety (Chroming can be done at the factory or aftermarket, so that's not an issue here). My personal preference is for ACP pistols (automatics, that use a clip for the ammo) but I do sometimes shoot with wheel guns (revolvers) so I should have known this (some wheel guns, including the .38's I took a combat course with, do have safetys). In fact, worse still, I do know this about S&W and most wheel guns, and I spaced it.

The gun I had blurrily in mind turned out to be the Smith & Wesson Model 60-15 .357 Magnum J-frame Revolver. That does have a safety (a key lock). HOWEVER, as the name states, it's a J-frame; a 5 shot snub-nose. The shorter barrel reduces muzzle velocity and adversely affects range and accuracy. Okay in close quarters, but a standard barrel (and six rounds) is better. I don't see Trevor having the snubby, and I did not mention a keylock, so this is not his gun. What happened was I didn't think it thorough, I was just writing along and didn't think. So, the reference to the safety in 44 will be deleted.

The other issue is a big one. I keep saying goats cannot count, and boy, did I prove it. The issue is that, even in Australia, the day after Tuesday is Wednesday, not another Tuesday. :*)

I picked Trevor's arrival date in Carnarvon very carefully, and began listing dates with greater precision as he neared Australia. This was so he'd have Thanksgiving there, and I used the 2006 calendar for this. Heck, I even checked to make sure I had the tide times right for the dates when tides are mentioned. I also kept what I was planning secret from my team, because I try to avoid giving them spoilers. (it takes away the fun of reading IMHO). So, they didn't know, and thus could not check me.

All was well, until Kookaburra sailed from Carnarvon. I hadn't measured the distance to the south end of Hamelin pool, so I wrongly assumed they'd arrive there the day they sailed. But, at ten knots, nothing doing. It's too far, and they could not negotiate the winding channels of Faure Sill in darkness. So... I added the night at Faure Island. Only, I managed to overlook one little detail; when you add a night, the next day is a different day. OOPS!

Trevor and Shane explored Carnarvon on Tuesday. The next day, they foxed the press and sailed, and spend the night at Faure Island. The day after that, they meet Martin Blake on a Wednesday, and the next day is Thanksgiving, a Thursday.

OOPS!

Yes, it's true: Even in Australia, there is but one of each day in the week. :*)

So, to fix this, I could either re-write Trevor's arrival a but to change the date by a day, or change it at the other end, thanksgiving. Moving Trevor's arrival date was tempting, but unworkable due to the bank. They wouldn't be open on a Sunday. The option of the manage opening up as a favor to Fowler wouldn't work either; bank vaults have timelocks; they are set when locked to open at a specific time, and not before. The manager could not have opened the vault, and Trevor was there for a safety deposit box. It would have required a lot of changes to the actual story, and that's not fair to readers when these are posted chapters.

So, the best remaining option appears to be swapping some scenes around in 71 and 72. They'd arrive to meet Martin Blake on Thursday morning, and then have the T-day dinner that night, when arriving at Monkey Mia. I'd move the dinner to 71, and what's now the arrival dinner to 72. I'd also change references to the meeting being on a Wednesday.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank glsswm for both of these catches. I strive for accuracy, and I very much appreciate him taking the time to let me know of these issues so that I can fix them. A second reader later e-mailed about the days of the week issue, but glsswm got it first, by quite some time. Thanks Marty! :)

I'll make the changes to the posted chapters next week. I've been stalling to avoid making the change while some people may have read 71 but not 72.

So, if anyone had any remaining doubt that goats cannot count, this should remove all doubt. :)

Let the teasing commence! :)

The other issue is a big one. I keep saying goats cannot count, and boy, did I prove it. The issue is that, even in Australia, the day after Tuesday is Wednesday, not another Tuesday. :*)

I picked Trevor's arrival date in Carnarvon very carefully, and began listing dates with greater precision as he neared Australia. This was so he'd have Thanksgiving there, and I used the 2006 calendar for this. Heck, I even checked to make sure I had the tide times right for the dates when tides are mentioned. I also kept what I was planning secret from my team, because I try to avoid giving them spoilers. (it takes away the fun of reading IMHO). So, they didn't know, and thus could not check me.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

All was well, until Kookaburra sailed from Carnarvon. I hadn't measured the distance to the south end of Hamelin pool, so I wrongly assumed they'd arrive there the day they sailed. But, at ten knots, nothing doing. It's too far, and they could not negotiate the winding channels of Faure Sill in darkness. Posted Image So... I added the night at Faure Island. Only, I managed to overlook one little detail; when you add a night, the next day is a different day. OOPS!

Posted Image

So, if anyone had any remaining doubt that goats cannot count, this should remove all doubt. :)

Let the teasing commence! :)

• Site Moderator

Here's more proof the author can't count.

Trevor smiled and shook his head. “Three problems there, Lisa. One: it’s not summer break until next week. Two: I have to scrub out the bathrooms on Atlantis. I hate that job and want it over with. Three: there aren’t any waves right now, it’s a millpond out there... Four: I’ve got to help Dad clean out and inventory the chandlery... and five: I can’t count.”

:lmao:.................... Don't feel to bad goat, when I replied to the last my Kid Frank come in and for some reason he distracted me enough that Henry became Frank!!! :lol:

Red, Lol... Yes, I cannot count.

Red BTW was the one responsible for the realism in boat handling in places like Faure Sill. He's a pro, and has helped more ways than I can count. :)

JAn, if you compiled a list of those, it would be a novel in and of itself. :lmao:

As i recall for that one, I originally did just bungle the counting, but made it part of the dialog for fun instead of just fixing it. :)

A few other memorable counting issues (All caught before posting by my team, so just the team saw them) In FTL, we had Officer Octopus; he was depicted of having four or five things in his hands at once, one in each hand...

A three-day weekend in FTL... Saturday, the next day, then Sunday.

In LTMP, I think I had a character tossing his keys across the room to himself...

Early in Circumnavigation, when Trevor was boarding the three women on the charter in Florida, they originally came with just two suitcases total (two of them shared) and Trevor carried them aboard, one in each hand. But, on my first runthrough (before any of the team saw the chapter) I decided that was unlikely, and changed it to three suitcases. I, of course, forgot to change the ref to him carrying them aboard, one in each hand.

At another point, Trevor had one eye on the depth gauge, one eye on the nav screen, and one eye on the channel ahead.

Also, more than once, Trevor has pulled an ice cold BEAR from the galley refrigerator. Personally, i think this is likely (any bear in there would be cold, right?) but my team disagrees so i changed it to beer. :)

Goats cannot count.

Or, my other excuse; nowhere in the narration does it say that Trevor does not have three or more hands, arms, eyes, etc. :)

:lmao:.................... Don't feel to bad goat, when I replied to the last my Kid Frank come in and for some reason he distracted me enough that Henry became Frank!!! :lol:

LoL!

Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

Well, the chapter changes are done (not posted yet though). I ended up moving the T-day dinner to the end of chapter 70, after the meeting, and tidying up supporting details to fit. The only remaining anomaly is that now the Florida and Australia timelines diverge a bit, (Friday one place, Thursday the other) but not too badly (and that part of Australia is 12 hours ahead of Florida anyway).

Anyway, I've made the changes to 70, 71, and 72, but I'll post them after 74 posts. I'll add an author's note explaing the change. Mainly, just the T-day dinner moved, and I changed the supporting details (such as the day mention in 70, and MArtin now says "tonight" instead of "tomorrow" for the dinner he gives Shane), and a few details in 71 and 72. In place of the missing T-day dinner, they now have leftovers, and that's covered by a one-sentance paragraph.

BTW, chapter 73 should be posting on time, this Tuesday. :)

Red, Lol... Yes, I cannot count.

Red BTW was the one responsible for the realism in boat handling in places like Faure Sill. He's a pro, and has helped more ways than I can count. :)

JAn, if you compiled a list of those, it would be a novel in and of itself. :lmao:

As i recall for that one, I originally did just bungle the counting, but made it part of the dialog for fun instead of just fixing it. :)

A few other memorable counting issues (All caught before posting by my team, so just the team saw them) In FTL, we had Officer Octopus; he was depicted of having four or five things in his hands at once, one in each hand...

A three-day weekend in FTL... Saturday, the next day, then Sunday

In LTMP, I think I had a character tossing his keys across the room to himself...

Early in Circumnavigation, when Trevor was boarding the three women on the charter in Florida, they originally came with just two suitcases total (two of them shared) and Trevor carried them aboard, one in each hand. But, on my first runthrough (before any of the team saw the chapter) I decided that was unlikely, and changed it to three suitcases. I, of course, forgot to change the ref to him carrying them aboard, one in each hand.

At another point, Trevor had one eye on the depth gauge, one eye on the nav screen, and one eye on the channel ahead.

Also, more than once, Trevor has pulled an ice cold BEAR from the galley refrigerator. Personally, i think this is likely (any bear in there would be cold, right?) but my team disagrees so i changed it to beer. :)

Goats cannot count.

Or, my other excuse; nowhere in the narration does it say that Trevor does not have three or more hands, arms, eyes, etc. :)

LoL!

Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

Well, the chapter changes are done (not posted yet though). I ended up moving the T-day dinner to the end of chapter 70, after the meeting, and tidying up supporting details to fit. The only remaining anomaly is that now the Florida and Australia timelines diverge a bit, (Friday one place, Thursday the other) but not too badly (and that part of Australia is 12 hours ahead of Florida anyway).

Anyway, I've made the changes to 70, 71, and 72, but I'll post them after 74 posts. I'll add an author's note explaing the change. Mainly, just the T-day dinner moved, and I changed the supporting details (such as the day mention in 70, and MArtin now says "tonight" instead of "tomorrow" for the dinner he gives Shane), and a few details in 71 and 72. In place of the missing T-day dinner, they now have leftovers, and that's covered by a one-sentance paragraph.

BTW, chapter 73 should be posting on time, this Tuesday. :)

B).............. And the title is what? 'Frank & Henry'? :lmao:

B).............. And the title is what? 'Frank & Henry'? :lmao:

LoL!

Chapter 73 is "Machinations".

Hey... er, that's what posted last time! :blink:

Ummm, I think I meant chapter 74, Intrepid Investigators. :ph34r:

Goats cannot count...

Ahhhh CJ,

Such a welcome and perplexing announcement.

What mystifies me is the Title of Chapter 74. Intrepid is such a strong word. A synopsis of the definitions for the primary word is “Brave.” It is the second word, “Investigators,” which clouds the meaning.

When I ruminate the activities of the current active members of this story, a large number of them could be designated “Investigators. Please permit me to summarize.

Starting out with:

TREVOR – He is looking for his mother Rachel. He is assisted by,

JOEL – His best friend, who adopted Trev as his brother. Joel is being led around by his fiancé,

LISA – Another life-long friend of Trevor. If she assumed the name Phyllis Diller, it would be appropriate. She has placed herself and her lover in harms way. As the two of them chatter away in bed, she is unknowingly setting up Trevor to be killed. The Dark Duo is watching the two of them covertly. The female member of this doubles act,

BRIDGET – has become suspicious of Lisa. She failed to inform the “Witch of the North,” about her upcoming meeting with a Private Investigator. Bridget mentions this to

GEORGE – her partner-in-crime. He has been planning to eliminate Trevor, Joel and Lisa. This rogue cop has been clandestinely altering the facts to confuse and misdirect,

SGT. GONZALES – The apparent lead investigator of a multi-jurisdictional task force. This police officer has almost disproved, one of the principle charges against

DIRK – The father of Trevor. He is also the husband of Rachel. Dirk is not personally conducting an investigation. He has engaged the services of a private investigator. His name is

HENRY – This PI has been assisting and attempting to point Sgt. Gonzales in the right direction. Unfortunately, he is about to meet the local version of the Keystone Kops. (AKA Lisa and Joel)

We should not forget the investigators and others who are involved in this saga, Police from Egypt, and the Seychelles have a piece of this puzzle. In Australia we have Officers Greg Fowler and Craig Grundig. Our freelance reporter is working away investigating his story. Last, but not least we have Ned. He is conducting an investigation into the physical problems with Trevor’s Atlantis. He might very well be the one who breaks the case wide open.

Edited by glsswm
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..