1. 1. I grew up in...

• City
    • Suburb
    • Rural/Country
  2. 2. I now live in...

• City
    • Suburb
    • Rural/Country

Gah always and forever in the country......i can't stand the amount of people in the big cities, i like the sense of community in small country towns, knowing that the whole town is there for you if you need them. :)

How I agree,, so sorry that I moved away from mine...Posted Image...

Gah always and forever in the country......i can't stand the amount of people in the big cities, i like the sense of community in small country towns, knowing that the whole town is there for you if you need them. :)

Well, you can say that I'm an animal of all hides. I spend year in the city and country alternatively. I live in the city when school is in session and then the country during holidays and then the village during Christmas. This method has been working fine for me. I get a feel of everything. I like the city where there is internet connection and markets and all. But I love the country where I can just stay inside the house with no noise keeping me from sleeping. The familiarity and stability in the village is a bliss. It's like nothing ever changes and only what you want happens.:)

Well, you can say that I'm an animal of all hides. I spend year in the city and country alternatively. I live in the city when school is in session and then the country during holidays and then the village during Christmas. This method has been working fine for me. I get a feel of everything. I like the city where there is internet connection and markets and all. But I love the country where I can just stay inside the house with no noise keeping me from sleeping. The familiarity and stability in the village is a bliss. It's like nothing ever changes and only what you want happens.:)

Michael, I couldn't agree with you more. I was struck by the silence at night my first night in the mountains. Tree frogs and breezes - and or gale force winds - being the only distractions. Just wonderful!!

I feel lonely enough in the city - I believe moving to somewhere less populated wouldn't help me at all.

Also.. I get the impression that suburbs/rural areas are populated by narrow-minded homophobes (I know very well not everyone is narrow-minded, but I can't help thinking that.).

Also.. I get the impression that suburbs/rural areas are populated by narrow-minded homophobes (I know very well not everyone is narrow-minded, but I can't help thinking that.).

Your assessment isn't that far off. For most small townies, they were born, raised, and will die in that one small town. They probably haven't experienced much outside their little world and feel threatened by people different then them because of all likeliness, most everyone else around them are very similar. I grew up in a place like this (not really small town, more like small suburbs), but everyone was white, Christian, and for the most part, locals for life. More then 60% of my graduating class of 450 went to one of the state schools, and I guarantee most who stayed in-state or went out of state will remain or come back to live in my town. When you have such a large segment of the population having never seen bigger and more diverse things, it leads to a very close-minded and narrow view of social issues. Hence why I got the hell out of there and will never move back.

Edited by TetRefine

I live in a major metro area of almost four million people, but I only have been living here for almost six years now. I was born and raised in the mountains and woods, so I still have a huge sense of being with nature. It's a bit damn hard seeing just concrete, bricks, stones, and asphalt with a tree or plant here and there daily. That means, it's a must that I get off this island once every while and see the pure greenness of the countryside (if my finances allow it). The best side of living in the city is that I have more mobility. I hate being at home all day and beyond that is hard to tolerate, so I got to be out doing at least *something*. I don't have a car, so out in the countryside you're pretty much stuck in a small area. The metro makes me happy by moving me around. I can drive however... Just too poor to have a car for now.

Your assessment isn't that far off. For most small townies, they were born, raised, and will die in that one small town. They probably haven't experienced much outside their little world and feel threatened by people different then them because of all likeliness, most everyone else around them are very similar. I grew up in a place like this (not really small town, more like small suburbs), but everyone was white, Christian, and for the most part, locals for life. More then 60% of my graduating class of 450 went to one of the state schools, and I guarantee most who stayed in-state or went out of state will remain or come back to live in my town. When you have such a large segment of the population having never seen bigger and more diverse things, it leads to a very close-minded and narrow view of social issues. Hence why I got the hell out of there and will never move back.

A few months ago, I was in Home Depot in my town of 5.340, and struck up a conversation with a clerk there. He was about 42 years old, had 6 kids, and had never been out of the county in his life. I felt so sad for him. He told me he didn't have the money to go anywhere, so I looked him dead in the eye and told him, "You know, you could walk to the state capital and back in 2 days. That's in the next county."

I really hope he took the strong hint, but doubt he ever will.

A few months ago, I was in Home Depot in my town of 5.340, and struck up a conversation with a clerk there. He was about 42 years old, had 6 kids, and had never been out of the county in his life. I felt so sad for him. He told me he didn't have the money to go anywhere, so I looked him dead in the eye and told him, "You know, you could walk to the state capital and back in 2 days. That's in the next county."

I really hope he took the strong hint, but doubt he ever will.

That's really an eye opener .... at the same time ... if he's happy that's good ... if you opened his eyes that he doesn't have to feel trapped thats meaningful

For me its virtually impossible to make a clear choice between city and country, - the suburbs i can reject in a moments breath. The city is the heart of human art and culture and I find it hard to be away from it for too long. But the country provides a connection to nature which always speaks to my soul.

Definitely city! I like nature as much as the next guy, but for me having easy access to a wide array of services, arts, stores, and a diverse community are more important. I really don't have any desire to live somewhere that doesn't have 24 hour services and entertainment.

My partner prefers the suburbs though so I suppose we may end up living in the burbs and I guess I can deal with that as long as we have a major city fairly close by, but it's not my first choice. Currently I live in and enjoy a nice metropolis.