Computer Virus Help

Okay, guys. I have a laptop that runs in Windows XP. I, in my stupidity, accidentally downloaded a malware virus called Microsoft Recovery. It looks like it's part of Microsoft. It pretends that that it's helping you from a crash on your hard drive, and it performs a fake scan that then directs you to spend 70 dollars on their full program that will clean up the errors. It was there that I realized it was a malware scam- I had run into that before on another computer. At that time, I had McAfee, so it was able to get the virus off.

I'm not sure what I can do. Sopphos, the program I'm using for anti-virus, isn't doing anything against it. The Microsoft Security thing I have isn't working, either. I tried System Restore, which didn't work. I tried downloading an anti-malware program called StopZilla, which didn't work, either. I then tried something called Trojan Killer, which turned out to be an evaluation program. To actually remove the virus using Trojan Killer, I would have to pay 45 dollars for a subscription.

Is there an good anti-malware program out there that is free and will actually work without telling you that it's only an evaluation program and you have to spend money to get the full version? What should I do against this virus?

Or should I try manually removing this Microsoft Recovery malware virus? I'm not really good at the kind of stuff.

Try this: www.malwarebytes.org -download the free antimalwarebytes program and install it. If you can get a successful update - sometimes it will block you - do so and the run a full scan. Remove anything it finds.

If you run into trouble, pm me.

• 9 years later...
Guest Graham1989

I tried Malwarebytes and it didn't do almost anything. I have a friend that knows more than me in this and he helped me to remove the malware virus manually. If you know another way, please share it.

• Site Administrator

This is a really old post to pull up.  Lots of stuff has changed since 2011.  Including Microsoft ending official support for XP, Vista, and Windows 7. 

I'd recommend getting updated results from your favorite search engine or perhaps a video how to on YouTube.