Two Mementos

Kind of weird when events from high school days flashed back at cha without warning. Honestly, those were the days. I kind of accept there is a good chance I'll stay a bitter old queen til the end (not that I am really old though feels like it), but it's nice to have some sweet memory coming back (as oppose to general negativity I keep having). Anyways, enough blabbering; theses are the two events that warmed my heart today that I actually bother to write them down and share with you guys.

Back in Freshman year I was one of those nerds who participated in math competitions in every chance. Never won any award but for someone who was socially awkward, it was fun for me to be part of something. I was in Geometry that year, and the guy sit in front of me was one of those math genius. He was chosen to represent the school for the Math Wizard competition at county level, and I wasn't. In fact, my English was so bad, I couldn't even understand the hint my teacher gave me that I didn't make it. Then the teacher told me bluntly. I felt stupid, but the teacher offered a slot if I wanted so badly, I politely refused. Anyways, that was one of a few times the guy in front of me turned his head and looked at me and smiled. Not laughing at my public disgrace, but a gentle smile. At that time, I guess his smile was somewhat of an intrigue to me. I began to notice him a lot....

Another day the teacher threatened him that he would have to repeat the class if he continued to miss his homework. That's a big deal to him since he was a Senior and you have to pass Geometry in order to fulfill the graduation requirement. I was one of those empathetic kids, so when I heard that, it made me think a lot... and felt really bad for him because I knew he was really smart. I knew he must be economically disadvantaged, because his greasy golden lock (curly like the one on a Greek statue) was sprinkled with paint drips. My vivid imagination filled in the background story that he must be working part time, like a hungry artist who does moving and house painting on the side. That's why he missed homework and sometimes skipped class. It's really funny how something antiquated like this suddenly surged back while I was laying on my bed this morning. Keep in mind at that age, I already knew what was like to have sexual pleasure... (well.., boys do explore their bodies, even a prudent boy like me), but I was still in a stage I guess you could say sexually ambiguous. I didn't pursue after him, obviously, since I couldn't even understand my own feeling, though I did find him a rather fascinating character. Though now it does make me think about the possibility, if I were not so innocent.

The second story is more like a remembrance of the past triggered by a recent event. I was in this health care introductory class, the kind designed to let you know little about the industry before you waste too much time and money invested into a career path that really doesn't fit you. There was this guy came into the class late. He was my type! Tall and I guess you could say he was borderline good looking but you wouldn't mistaken him for a super model. There was no special air around him, the simple guy next door type basically, almost humble. If he wasn't tall, I guess most people wouldn't notice him, but for some reason, the guys I have had trouble forgetting tend to be this type. I confess I have a thing for a tall guy, as I am tall myself, and really can't imagine myself dating someone shorter than me. He had some beard scruff around his chin and wrinkles around his face; a weathered look, a man who looked like he had been through some life experience. I knew I should have paid more attention to the class, but whenever I had a chance, I would look toward his general direction. He was quiet, but appeared to be intelligent. Yes, I dig for a smart guy, especially if he was also tall. :-D

On the second session (and final meeting) of the class, the enrollment was significantly thinned out. In fact, in this session, only a handful showed up (I guess the rest went to another section of the class, since the instructor allowed that). He was there in the class before I entered the door and I was glad he was there. The instructor gave us one of those "Hello, My Name Is..." stickers to put on our shirt front. That's when I learned his name. It is not a name you could forget, because in the U.S., it's usually a female name, though it's not always true in other parts of the world. That put me into another level of affinity to him, because the only other guy I knew with the same name was someone I knew in high school.

The guy I knew in high school probably was one of the shyest boys I have ever met in my life. I was shy myself (I am still very shy but much more confident now), but nowhere as quiet as him. I always took more notice about other shy guys, I guess it's some sort of unspoken affinity among us introverts. If someone asked him a question, you could know it's a yes, if he showed his smile with those shiny braces. Kids of our age (Sophomore year in high school) usually were really self-conscious, so I really couldn't blame him, especially he had a girl's name, a haircut done in home garage (the Beatles style), and those shiny braces which I thought made his smile so cute, but I never could tell him. Though he was my age, but I looked like a Junior compared to him. He was very cute and sweet, albeit he could be seen, but rarely heard.

There was this unshakeable shadow of a doubt that these two guys were one and the same.... It is rather interesting, because this guy I met in health care class was so much taller than the guy back in high school. It's possible he was a late boomer. To make the matter even more confusing, when he smiled, I couldn't help but notice those braces around his self-conscious smile, except now the corners of his mouth were accompanied by some folds of age. He was not a boy like the one I remembered, but someone date-able.

I don't know why, but I always forget to check out some little clues like if the guy is wearing a wedding band or not..., or tries to get some hint if the man is gay.... I don't know, I guess I hate getting disappointed. I know the guy's last name now, too, so it's not that hard check with my high school year book to know if they're really the same person.... I know..., what a stinky personality I have here, but what is wrong with keeping some sweet memory untainted? I guess if I ever met him again (there can always be hope), I will try my best to tell him what a beautiful smile he has.

Sweet stories.

It was Alumni Weekend over at my alma matter. I didn't go to any of the official events, because I graduated in '10 so it's not really my time to do the nostalgic reunions yet.

This is probably my favorite song, in terms of being nostalgic and thinking about the past.

Here's to the class of 1986! Twenty-five years, can you guys believe it?