Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 79: Getting Closer

Getting Closer is up. :ranger: :pickaxe:

It's a large chapter, around 8000 words. We also learn a great deal about Shane's past.

Oh dear - getting closer indeed.

I'm not at all convinced that pretending to be Shane is a good idea. There's the legal aspect of insurance fraud but, as Shane pointed out, folk in Carnarvon know him - the subterfuge won't last 5 minutes. I really don't think there's much chance of a GP or a psychiatrist leaking details of a patient to the press. The nurses did it inadvertently, but I can't see any medical professional doing it in the circumstances that Trevor's in. Maybe I'm just being naïf though.

Let's hope Bridget and George allow themselves to be fooled, but I think they'll go with the obvious answer. We'll see how good the WA police are when Sanchez' friends come a-calling.

Oh, by the way, the link at the bottom of the chapter to this forum actually links to a map... Obviously just another device by the goat to increase tension!

i was right they figure out something ... caranovaen ... so far no koolburyy

he plot needs exact locations and joel lisa still not wise to bridget

if know koolobury blakes can get killed

B)........... Things are heating up here (finally) we now have Shane's story of his 'dislocation' I do hope he is the superb writer he as he demonstrated to Trevor with the short story of the 'roos. If so, I see a best seller, especially after the press release of Trevor's ordeal comes about in the news. Now that brings more danger to Shane and Trevor, the timing is all with the dateline that the goat has not really provided. If Joel and Lisa leave earlier then George anticipates can he miss the planting of the drugs? Also the interview with Dirk is the most important piece to this story so far. Of course that brings problems if Sanchez gets wind of location of Trevor's mother also, will Crocodile Dundee show up (Grame) 0:) ? I'm glad Bridget and George are still confused of the exact location of Trevor, that buys a little time before the press release. Again, the time line is closed for departures and information for us. It is maddening the the time spent on Shane and Trevor's recent adventures without acknowledging the time line here, now the plan to visit a 'national park' in guise of getting Trevor treatment, I see several more chapters before we see a timeline with the interview with Dirk and Jim. Perhaps the goat was 'goaded' into doing so, but I really want to hear from Gonzales and Frank, with Dirk and Jim in behind.

BTW great chapter James, it was good to see Shane and Trevor resolve some issues!

B)........... Things are heating up here (finally) we now have Shane's story of his 'dislocation' I do hope he is the superb writer he as he demonstrated to Trevor with the short story of the 'roos. If so, I see a best seller, especially after the press release of Trevor's ordeal comes about in the news. Now that brings more danger to Shane and Trevor, the timing is all with the dateline that the goat has not really provided. If Joel and Lisa leave earlier then George anticipates can he miss the planting of the drugs? Also the interview with Dirk is the most important piece to this story so far. Of course that brings problems if Sanchez gets wind of location of Trevor's mother also, will Crocodile Dundee show up (Grame) 0:) ? I'm glad Bridget and George are still confused of the exact location of Trevor, that buys a little time before the press release. Again, the time line is closed for departures and information for us. It is maddening the the time spent on Shane and Trevor's recent adventures without acknowledging the time line here, now the plan to visit a 'national park' in guise of getting Trevor treatment, I see several more chapters before we see a timeline with the interview with Dirk and Jim. Perhaps the goat was 'goaded' into doing so, but I really want to hear from Gonzales and Frank, with Dirk and Jim in behind.

BTW great chapter James, it was good to see Shane and Trevor resolve some issues!

Hi Benji,

I am pretty sure the action taking place on board the Kookaburra, in Chapter 79, is on Wednesday November 29th, 2006

Oh dear - getting closer indeed.

I'm not at all convinced that pretending to be Shane is a good idea. There's the legal aspect of insurance fraud but, as Shane pointed out, folk in Carnarvon know him - the subterfuge won't last 5 minutes. I really don't think there's much chance of a GP or a psychiatrist leaking details of a patient to the press. The nurses did it inadvertently, but I can't see any medical professional doing it in the circumstances that Trevor's in. Maybe I'm just being naïf though.

Let's hope Bridget and George allow themselves to be fooled, but I think they'll go with the obvious answer. We'll see how good the WA police are when Sanchez' friends come a-calling.

Oh, by the way, the link at the bottom of the chapter to this forum actually links to a map... Obviously just another device by the goat to increase tension!

Good points... I doubt a medical professional would leak info under the circumstances too... the nurses did, but they had no way of knowing Trevor wanted to remain anonymous. Still, they did spread the news in violation of policy, so I'm not surprised Trevor is inclined to have his concerns.

Not everyone in Carnarvon knows Shane.. but... for some reason, the phrase "out of the frying pan, into the fire" comes to mind regarding the planned subterfuge.

oops on the link!!! Fixed now. :)

i was right they figure out something ... caranovaen ... so far no koolburyy

he plot needs exact locations and joel lisa still not wise to bridget

if know koolobury blakes can get killed

If Bridget finds out the boat's name is Kookaburra, you're right, everyone is in mortal danger.

We'll be seeing more of all of the other storylines very soon. :) I do tend to skip them if not much relevant has happened. Investigations are, perforce, slow. During the next two chapters we'll we popping in for at least a scene each with Lisa and Joel, Bridget and George, Gonzalez and Henry, and the reporter, Kline, as well. :)

I've been avoiding mention of specific days and dates in the chapters, because, as we all know, i cannot count. I screwed up the thanksgiving day timeline (had it effectively on a Friday, since fixed) plus a few other screw ups caught in beta. So, I try to avoid being too specific, lest I make another goof. :)

The focus per day has been very tight lately, because much is occurring (more than might be evident) but the timeline (days per chapter) speeds up very soon.

Hi Benji,

I am pretty sure the action taking place on board the Kookaburra, in Chapter 79, is on Wednesday November 29th, 2006

That is exactly correct. :) That means that the following day will be Thursday. :)

And yes, i say that in full knowledge that there are things in this and the prior chapter that might be incongruous with that being the date, that it might be assumed to be earlier in the week, but all I can say is, that's dealt with in the next chapter, Penultimate Pieces.

CJ :)

Not everyone in Carnarvon knows Shane.. but... for some reason, the phrase "out of the frying pan, into the fire" comes to mind regarding the planned subterfuge.

It just doesn't make sense - if they're bothered by the medics spreading gossip then the story will get out no matter what name is attached to it. How many teenagers have struggled across the Southern Ocean in a jury-rigged and stripped-out catamaran recently? Attention will be garnered no matter who's involved.

Surely Trevor has insurance to cover this - he regularly travels outwith the US on his charters so must have considered the possibility of needing medical treatment. I don't know how American health insurance works but doesn't it offer any cover abroad? You'd have thought it would - US health costs are probably the highest in the world so if their policy holders can conveniently get ill overseas, it'll save the companies money.

But it raises another thought in my mind - between them, I wonder if George and Sanchez don't have the wherewithal to track Trevor down via his insurance company. It can't be impossible to figure out which company it is and George could probably get a court order in connection with the other ongoing cases to release the information. Sanchez' lot could probably just break in and steal it.

During the next two chapters we'll we popping in for at least a scene each with Lisa and Joel, Bridget and George, Gonzalez and Henry, and the reporter, Kline, as well. :)

What a pity - I was hoping Kline had been hit by a road train.

that's dealt with in the next chapter, Penultimate Pieces.

Are you saying that you're going to tie this lot up in two more chapters???? :blink:

It just doesn't make sense - if they're bothered by the medics spreading gossip then the story will get out no matter what name is attached to it. How many teenagers have struggled across the Southern Ocean in a jury-rigged and stripped-out catamaran recently? Attention will be garnered no matter who's involved.

Surely Trevor has insurance to cover this - he regularly travels outwith the US on his charters so must have considered the possibility of needing medical treatment. I don't know how American health insurance works but doesn't it offer any cover abroad? You'd have thought it would - US health costs are probably the highest in the world so if their policy holders can conveniently get ill overseas, it'll save the companies money.

Trevor would most likely be covered by a policy from his father, with a rider for the bahamas if not included. It varies a lot, and there are exceptions, but in general policies here aren't valid worldwide. Trevor is, however, covered by his boat insurance in this case; he's covered for anything stemming from a covered loss (the pirate attack, in this case).

But it raises another thought in my mind - between them, I wonder if George and Sanchez don't have the wherewithal to track Trevor down via his insurance company. It can't be impossible to figure out which company it is and George could probably get a court order in connection with the other ongoing cases to release the information. Sanchez' lot could probably just break in and steal it.

George couldn't do too much without drawing attention to himself. Sanchez? he can do many things. He's sure been silent lately, hasn't he? :ph34r:

Are you saying that you're going to tie this lot up in two more chapters???? :blink:

It'd be easy to do; Sanchez's people find Trevor and send his head back to Sanchez, thus completing the circumnavigation. :) I'm not saying that's what will happen, but I can't rule it out, either. 0:)

But, Penultimate Pieces just means that one or more things that may or may not be significant might occur in the following chapter, Ultimate Designs. 0:)

It'd be easy to do; Sanchez's people find Trevor and send his head back to Sanchez, thus completing the circumnavigation. :) I'm not saying that's what will happen, but I can't rule it out, either. 0:)

I think it might, but only if the head travels East. If it is sent West it would only be a "Half Cimcumnavigation. :wacko:

But, Penultimate Pieces just means that one or more things that may or may not be significant might occur in the following chapter, Ultimate Designs. 0:)

You forgot to mention, a simple oversight I'm sure, that none of the foregoing in any way racks up the tension or could possibly be construed by any reasonable person as a cliffhanger... :D

This was a very good chapter. Loved the interaction between Trevor and Shane, as usual.

I could really see Circumnavigation become a TV series. Let's make it happen!

I think Shane’s dad Dirk accepted the insurance payment for the loss of Aries. For some reason, with the divorce pending, Dirk switched the legal identities of Atlantis and Aries. I don’t know why and that’s part of the 12/17 secret. Maybe Trevor’s mom was complicit with the switch, too. By accepting loss payment for Atlantis posing as Aries, Dirk is guilty of grand larceny. If he refused the payment, it would have been suspicious and the truth about the switch would have come out.

Meanwhile, Brigit and George are trying to kill Trevor to keep him away from finding the Aries, raising it and discovering the hidden documents that will expose Brigit and George as a full blown drug dealers. But they don’t know about the boat switch and that the real Aries is in Australia. Dirk and Trevor don’t know about the hidden documents that were hidden on Aires posing as Atlantis and the documents are still there.

Ned and his shipyard buddies are about the strip the assumed Atlantis to its very bones, including pulling the engines to rebuild them. The documents are about to be uncovered. Will they be noticed? Will Ned bring them to Trevor’s attention? Will Trevor start to put one and one together?

Is any of this supposition real? :(

I think Shane’s dad Dirk accepted the insurance payment for the loss of Aries. For some reason, with the divorce pending, Dirk switched the legal identities of Atlantis and Aries. I don’t know why and that’s part of the 12/17 secret. Maybe Trevor’s mom was complicit with the switch, too. By accepting loss payment for Atlantis posing as Aries, Dirk is guilty of grand larceny. If he refused the payment, it would have been suspicious and the truth about the switch would have come out.

Meanwhile, Brigit and George are trying to kill Trevor to keep him away from finding the Aries, raising it and discovering the hidden documents that will expose Brigit and George as a full blown drug dealers. But they don’t know about the boat switch and that the real Aries is in Australia. Dirk and Trevor don’t know about the hidden documents that were hidden on Aires posing as Atlantis and the documents are still there.

Ned and his shipyard buddies are about the strip the assumed Atlantis to its very bones, including pulling the engines to rebuild them. The documents are about to be uncovered. Will they be noticed? Will Ned bring them to Trevor’s attention? Will Trevor start to put one and one together?

B)............... Great supposition here! But the narrator never lies and in the prologue she was indeed aboard the Aries and once dropped off her guests, headed back to Florida before the mayday call.

B)............... Great supposition here! But the narrator never lies and in the prologue she was indeed aboard the Aries and once dropped off her guests, headed back to Florida before the mayday call.

Benji, Benji, READ THE PROLOGUE

Charter Started on May 15th and was scheduled for 10 days.

On her present job, Ares was carrying four passengers – two lawyers and their wives – on a private scuba charter that included a close look at a shuttle launch and then ten days on the reefs in the Bahamas.

This is an excerpt from near the end of the Prologue.

After the charter, Ares dropped the guests off at Nassau on schedule and Rachel filed a route plan to take her directly home. Rachel sailed from Nassau as the last rays of sunset glittered off the calm, azure seas.

Look at this calendar. This is the calendar for the Month of May 2006. The 15th and the 25th are highlighted in Orange. Those two dates should be considered to be Reference Dates. The 15th indicates the date in 1997 the charter Rachel took out started. According to the above-copied excerpt from the Prologue this charter should have ended on May 25th.

Posted Image

The Brown highlighting on the 23rd notes the last day of school.

Now look at the Blue highlighting. The 19th thru the 21st, indicate the dates Trevor took the three females on a charter. (The one where he wears the Speedos to get a better tip)

The 26th thru the 29th show the Pilgrimage trip. Go back and read again Chapter 7. On the THIRD day of this trip Trevor drops the wreath of flowers. That date is the 28th, NOT THE 25th.

Previous to this Dirk confirmed the “Anniversary” would be that weekend. Either he is lying or Trevor has been lied to. The date of the radio message was not on the 25th, but on the 28th. That leaves three days between the scheduled date the charter ended and the date Trevor commemorates as the date his mother disappeared.

Go back and read the second excerpt. IT DOES NOT SAY THE ARES SAILED.

There is no doubt in my mind there was a switch of vessels. Rachel sailed on a vessel. Trevor is in Australia. He arrived there on a vessel he calls the Atlantis. This vessel at some time in its existence was named the Ares. I do not know what happened to the original Atlantis. I do not know where Rachel is. PERIOD.

Edited by MartyS

Quote From Chapter 79

Trevor took a deep breath, remembering... “I was walking home from school one day, not long before my eighth birthday. When I got near my house, there were some big black sedans there, with coast guard insignia. The insignia had the Coast Guard name and also ‘Semper Paratus ’. That scared me because I thought it meant something to do with pirates and I knew my mom was at sea. I’ve hated old pirate movies ever since.

Please note the calendar. This is the calendar for May 1997.

Posted Image

The 15th and the 25th are highlighted in Red. The 15th is the date the charter started. The 25th is the date it was scheduled to end.

Trevor says, “He was on the way home from school. The 25th was a Sunday. The 26th was a Monday, and was Memorial Day, generally a school holiday. The 28th was a Wednesday. This is the date that Trevor left the wreath in the water in 2006, in Chapter 7.

The one problem I have is the last day of school. In 2006, the High School ended on Tuesday, May 23rd. This was before the Memorial Day Weekend. According to this excerpt the Elementary school was still in session on the 28th 1997, the week following the Memorial Day Weekend.

No matter what, it does tend to confirm the calculations in my previous post.

PS Trevor’s and Lois’ birthday is in June.

Edited by MartyS

Quote From Chapter 79

Trevor took a deep breath, remembering... “I was walking home from school one day, not long before my eighth birthday. When I got near my house, there were some big black sedans there, with coast guard insignia. The insignia had the Coast Guard name and also ‘Semper Paratus ’. That scared me because I thought it meant something to do with pirates and I knew my mom was at sea. I’ve hated old pirate movies ever since.

Posted Image

The 15th and the 25th are highlighted in Red. The 15th is the date the charter started. The 25th is the date it was scheduled to end.

Trevor says, “He was on the way home from school. The 25th was a Sunday. The 26th was a Monday, and was Memorial Day, generally a school holiday. The 28th was a Wednesday. This is the date that Trevor left the wreath in the water in 2006, in Chapter 7.

The one problem I have is the last day of school. In 2006, the High School ended on Tuesday, May 23rd. This was before the Memorial Day Weekend. According to this excerpt the Elementary school was still in session on the 28th 1997, the week following the Memorial Day Weekend.

B)........................... :worship: :worship: I applaud your vigilance in mapping out this prologue, which I was under the assumption it was all the narrator (which cannot lie) thus not being open to a interruption that the 'mayday call could have been false. But wouldn't have someone noticed that the mayday call came a couple of days after her charter that she ended on the 25th, which she filed a route plan with? And why was it not brought up? Trevor's recollections could have been the result of a 2-3 day search by the coast guard, ending with the conclusion that his Mom was lost at sea. That is why the I think the sedans were parked there at Trevor's home, I could be wrong, and like your analogy, but there are points not fully addressed here.

B)........................... :worship: :worship: I applaud your vigilance in mapping out this prologue, which I was under the assumption it was all the narrator (which cannot lie) thus not being open to a interruption that the 'mayday call could have been false. But wouldn't have someone noticed that the mayday call came a couple of days after her charter that she ended on the 25th, which she filed a route plan with? And why was it not brought up? Trevor's recollections could have been the result of a 2-3 day search by the coast guard, ending with the conclusion that his Mom was lost at sea. That is why the I think the sedans were parked there at Trevor's home, I could be wrong, and like your analogy, but there are points not fully addressed here.

Benji,

You are correct. the narrator cannot lie. However, he does not have to tell the whole, complete Truth. He can misslead with partial statements. Like it says, Rachel sailed. But on what boat? Dirk was not going to tell them and Trevor did not know. We will find out at the end of the story.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

I think it might, but only if the head travels East. If it is sent West it would only be a "Half Cimcumnavigation. :wacko:

True! But, the shortest way back to Florida is east... Trevor is past the halfway point. So, there's a good chance his head would be shipped east, thus completing the circumnavigation, and all would be well. 0:)

You forgot to mention, a simple oversight I'm sure, that none of the foregoing in any way racks up the tension or could possibly be construed by any reasonable person as a cliffhanger... :D

Well, I didn't want to state the obvious; for we all know that I never, ever use cliffhangers.

A slight touch of tension? Well, honesty compels me to admit that, on rare occasions, such does occur. :)

This was a very good chapter. Loved the interaction between Trevor and Shane, as usual.

I could really see Circumnavigation become a TV series. Let's make it happen!

Thanks!!

And Circumnavigation as a TV series?? I love that idea!!! :2thumbs:

I'd want to be the cameraman. :devil:

I can't comment on most of this, except to say, great theorizing! :2thumbs:

It is to be hoped that Trevor isn't like me; otherwise he'll put one and one together and get three and a half. :)

Quote From Chapter 79

Posted Image

On the school issue, I have some wiggle room; some extracurricular activities (sports, for one) aren't limited to the normal school schedule. In 1997, he might have had practice, or something else school related, even summer school.

The reason I had to build in some wiggle room is, I was not able to determine the exact day schools in Ft. Pierce let out for summer in 1997 . From what little I could find, it varied a bit from district to district, and going on my own experience in California, even school to school. (there were two high schools where I grew up, and they often didn't let out the same day, though I don't know why)

I can say that you have the dates right. I dare not say anything more, but I love your theories, and those calendars are great!! Thank you!! . :)

The narrator cannot lie, but characters are under no such limitation; they may lie, or be mistaken. :)

Benji,

The Goat has spoken. My interpretation of the activities in the Prologue is correct. Charter Started May 15th; Charter Ended May 25th; Rachel sailed May 28th. OK!!!! Now we know there are THREE days with no explanation, posted so far, as to what occurred. Plenty of time to sail home and do whatever.

I can say that you have the dates right. I dare not say anything more, but I love your theories, and those calendars are great!! Thank you!!

Benji,

The Goat has spoken. My interpretation of the activities in the Prologue is correct. Charter Started May 15th; Charter Ended May 25th; Rachel sailed May 28th. OK!!!! Now we know there are THREE days with no explanation, posted so far, as to what occurred. Plenty of time to sail home and do whatever.

Whoa! :P

I didn't say, one way or the other, whether your interpretation was correct. I can't weigh in on stuff like that. :)

I should have been more clear what I was on about; you're right about the 15 and 25 in 1997 being the charter dates. You are also correct about the 28th being the day Trevor thinks of as the anniversary. I can say that because it's been the the posted text, or can be deduced from it, as you have done. :2thumbs:

However, I can't confirm or deny anything other than that. :)

The reason I had to build in some wiggle room is, I was not able to determine the exact day schools in Ft. Pierce let out for summer in 1997 . From what little I could find, it varied a bit from district to district, and going on my own experience in California, even school to school. (there were two high schools where I grew up, and they often didn't let out the same day, though I don't know why)

There are two public high schools in the city where I grew up, Walnut Creek, California. They sometimes have different dates for the last day of school year. The reason is that these two high schools are in two different school districts.

Colin B)

CJ

I thank you very much for your immediate past post quoted below. I was not expecting such a speedy response. Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II.

Marty

Whoa!

I didn't say, one way or the other, whether your interpretation was correct. I can't weigh in on stuff like that.

I should have been more clear what I was on about; you're right about the 15 and 25 in 1997 being the charter dates. You are also correct about the 28th being the day Trevor thinks of as the anniversary. I can say that because it's been the the posted text, or can be deduced from it, as you have done.

However, I can't confirm or deny anything other than that.

A thought or two

While I was driving into town this morning I had an interesting thought or two. Rachel sailed at approximately 19:50 hours from Nassau. I arrived at this conclusion based on the Narrators description and my research. The Mayday was broadcast approximately six hours later. That would be roughly 01:50 hours the following day. I have no way to determine if Trevor and Dirk consider that to be the night of the 28th or the following day. I guess I need to go to Rachel’s Designated Memorial and read the tombstone erected here.

I have also been wondering why the delay of a couple or three days. It is strongly probable that Rachel attempted to do it before the 28th. However, if there were other boats in the area, they might have been able too quickly respond to the scene, after the Mayday. Keep in mind; this was the Memorial Day Weekend. Lots of boats out and about.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..