Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Brain Storming

Just a note on the timelines: Unless there is a phone call or other direct interaction involved, I play a bit loose on the time zones issue between Florida and the US, though I do keep it within 24 hours.

CJ :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjiiiiii,

We were right!!!!!

On TUESDAY October 18th I posted my discovery of the contradiction in Chapter 96. In that posting were the following statements:

There is a nice contradiction in Chapter 96. Either The Goat screwed up or he did this deliberately as part of the storyline. Sort of inserting little clues that will not be noticed by most readers.

If the Goat screwed up, he will post a correction notice in the Forum.

Benji, IMO this is not an error by CHJ. I suspect he is setting up dissolution of the partnership.

On WEDNESDAY October 19th as part of your response you said:

............ Very interesting! I remember reading that but missed it, George either deliberately lied to Bridget or the goat goofed. I don't think he goofed,

On THURSDAY October 20th I responded:

I would not suggest hold your breath waiting for the Goat to give you an honest response as to whether he goofed or not.

On THURSDAY October 20th Daddydavek had this to say:

The Goat is canny and I daresay cagey about what he says and maybe just as importantly, doesn't say.

Benji, I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. To start with, the contradiction I brought to your attention is significant. It is not something that can be disregarded. The three of us more or less agree, The Goat is trying to put something over on us.

What does the Goat do? He posts the following on:

FRIDAY October 21:

Just a note on the timelines: Unless there is a phone call or other direct interaction involved, I play a bit loose on the time zones issue between Florida and the US, though I do keep it within 24 hours.

I certainly believe this is important to bring to the attention of the readers. This has been brought up in several recent posts in other threads.

But, do you see anything in there about the apparent contradiction. Nope, it isn’t mentioned. It seems to me there just might be some personnel changes made in the Florida Drug Smuggling operations in the near future. I doubt CHJ is happy about his subterfuge being discovered, before he was ready to reveal it.

That makes me feel good all over. I just love messing with his Cliffhanging mind. Something else has come to my attention. I would rather not say anything more about it right now. I will let you know when, and if, it comes to pass.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

Benji,

Sergeant Gonzalez told Henry, “We need to be looking for an alternative reason as to why Trevor has almost been killed twice by Bridget and George. We, the armchair detectives know. They settled on the possibility the attempts were to destroy Trevor’s Atlantis.

One scenario occurring in Chapter 97 is bothering me. There are certain things we know or strongly believe. Based on everything that has taken place so far in the story, we both believe Rachel is alive and living in Australia. There is no doubt in our minds she is involved in what is taking place with Trevor since shortly after he arrived in Carnarvon. We disagree as to whom she is masquerading as. This is where it gets confusing.

Let me outline some established facts:

Martin and Sarah Blake own Kookaburra. They live on a farm and primarily raise sheep. Martin has stated Kookaburra is his first boat and he has owned her since she was new. Martin is not as good a ships captain as Trevor. He admits he has had to learn to do so. He also gives me the impression the money coming in, from Trevor’s leasing her, is helping pay off a mortgage. Shane’s comments concerning Trevor’s ability to enter and depart Rhys Lagoon, without grounding, point out Martin’s lack of experience. Shane did say it has happened before, but infrequently. Shane has also observed that Sarah does not sail on charters often. All of these comments by Shane are scattered throughout the chapters. Here is a comment made by Shane, which bothers me. Shane describes Martin’s actions whenever he gets into shallow water or runs aground. I would think paying guests might get upset if the captain displayed visible signs of stress and used improper language while doing so. Let me leave the Blake’s and Kookaburra for now.

To the best of my recollection, the fact that Rachel has a sister is mentioned only one time in the story, Even then it was only in passing, while Trevor was talking to Lisa on the telephone. She was not identified by name, nor was any other information about her given. For some reason the readers, posting in the Forum, have assigned her a major part and influence on the events. I am as guilty of doing this as anyone else posting. Why?????

Greg Fowler has been a major player since he arrived in the storyline. There is no doubt in my mind he is aware of at least some of the events, which occurred approximately a decade ago, half a world away. How much he knows is hard to determine. The conversation he had with his wife Shelly, after he had completed a telephone conversation with Sergeant Gonzalez, speaks for itself. Other conversations he has had since Monday November 20, are affecting his activities.

Dirk and Rachel know the Ares is not sitting on the bottom of the sea in the Bahamas. They know Rachel did not die in May 1997. There are people in Florida who also know, because Dirk told them. Who knows in Australia? Rachel does for sure. That is where it gets interesting.

In Chapter 97, on Friday, December 15th, Trevor, Shane, Martin and Greg have a conference in Kalbarri. It is during this meeting Trevor tells Martin and Greg about his Quest. Until he does so, only Shane knew about it. In order for his quest to be a valid one, Rachel has to be dead. Based on the contents of the chapters appearing since Trevor arrived in Carnarvon, Greg Fowler knows she is alive. Trevor explains the circumstances and asks Martin for the use of Kookaburra. After considering the facts, Martin agrees to do so. When Greg attempts to stop the trip, Martin overrules him. Unless Martin is lying to cover-up what he knows, he is agreeing to allow Trevor to use his catamaran on an over twenty-four thousand mile long, wild goose chase.

Benji, I believe Greg’s attempt to stop the trip, was based on his knowledge, that Rachel is alive. I have read that portion of Chapter 97 several times. My conclusion is Martin Blake does not know it. With all the current media attention on Trevor and his trip and other accompanying stories covering the circumstances of the disappearance of Ares, Martin must know the public story. There may be a conspiracy, (not necessarily a criminal one,) in which Greg and Shelly are involved, but I do not believe Martin Blake is aware of it. Whether Rachel’s sister is part of it, I do not know.

I am going to stand with my previous declaration. Rachel is Shelly Fowler.

That is how I see things,

Marty

Edited by MartyS
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Benji,

Just a short note. To say I was surprised with the revelations n Chapter 99 would be to put it mildly. Some of the information brought out in the open has flabbergasted me. Based on CJs previous stories I expected a sophisticated, intricate plot. The basic mystery, “What happened to the Ares and Rachel,” is explained in a simplistic way. Simply put, Rachel sailed Ares away from the Bahamas. I do have some questions regarding some of the peripheral facts. I will refrain from making any comments right now. The upcoming chapters may provide the answers, but I sincerely doubt it. About the only thing I was correct in, was the fact that Rachel was in Australia. In all honesty, you were the one who convinced me of this.

Marty

Posted Image ............ Marty, the revelation was the end of one part of the story, there are still a few sub-plots out there. Who is George meeting with out at sea? Joel and Lisa's luggage, and of course Mr. B and Sanchez. And of course Bridget having the sea witch outfitted with larger tanks. And I wonder what trap Frank is going to spring on Gonzales when they meet with the State DA? I think Dirk and Jim are pretty much out of the rest of the story from now on, except maybe an angry phone call from Trevor! Posted Image

Btw, I forgot to mention the reporter, he was promised another big story. Trevor's book will be a best seller and he and Shane will have no money problems. Imagine what the publicity would do for Trevor's business. And all he has to do is keep his head on his shoulders! Posted Image

Edited by Benji

Posted Image ............ Marty, the revelation was the end of one part of the story, there are still a few sub-plots out there. Who is George meeting with out at sea? Joel and Lisa's luggage, and of course Mr. B and Sanchez. And of course Bridget having the sea witch outfitted with larger tanks. And I wonder what trap Frank is going to spring on Gonzales when they meet with the State DA? I think Dirk and Jim are pretty much out of the rest of the story from now on, except maybe an angry phone call from Trevor! Posted Image

Btw, I forgot to mention the reporter, he was promised another big story. Trevor's book will be a best seller and he and Shane will have no money problems. Imagine what the publicity would do for Trevor's business. And all he has to do is keep his head on his shoulders! Posted Image

Benji,

I know there is more to come. Rather than raise any points or questions now, I intend to wait until the story is complete. After all my questions may be answered somewhere in the remaining chapters. I would rather not say anything further at this time.I certainly wouldn't want to say something and create a possible Spoiler, by pushing CJ into a response before he is ready. I am quite sure CJ has everything written and ready for posting. I am sure there are surprises ahead, but no real mystery.

Marty

Hi Benji,

I believe it is the inalienable right for the author of a novel to alter the facts, to conform to the plots storyline. So long as the writer does not attempt to convince me that these modifications are factual, then I believe the author has met his goal. I will then enjoy reading the fruits of his imagination. However, if the novelist expects me to believe an individual could run at the speed of sixty miles per hour, without the physical modifications as introduced in the television show, “The Six Million Dollar Man,” I object to this.

Beginning with the Prologue, Circumnavigation presents the armchair detective with a challenge. Did the Ares sink? Realistically speaking, if it had gone down, Why? Her construction argued against a natural disappearance. I could enumerate many more questions the inaugural episode raised.

This story has been appearing for almost two years. During this time span, CJ threw one obstacle after another into Trevor’s path. Some were easy to overcome. Others certainly were not. Trevor’s survival after being thrown overboard could have happened the way it was described. His overcoming the difficulties while making his way to Australia was within the bounds of believability. There was no divine intervention. I suppose one could argue God was on his side.

Personally I did not believe that Rachel was dead early on. It was not until the conference in Chapter 54, that I had proof she had not died as a result of any action by Dirk during “The Disappearance.” All Dirk was worried about was the expiration of several Statutes of Limitations. Murder does not have one.

There was a skillful blending by CJ of facts throughout the book. Whatever he inserted into the plot was logical based upon the edited version of the truth presented to the readers. I know I consistently have accused him of leading us astray. He was successful as far as I am concerned. The only conclusion I reached that was correct was: Rachel was in Australia. That was not my original opinion. You Benji, had to convince me of that.

Any future readers who discover Circumnavigation and are trying to solve the mystery while reading it, should by the time Trevor reaches Australia, conclude Ares did not sink and Rachel is still alive. The simplest conclusion to reach is Rachel sailed the Ares away from the Bahamas. My initial deductions were that. Once the Kookaburra arrived in the storyline I extended my conclusions to include the conversion of the Ares morphing into the Kookaburra. Why I changed my mind is neither here nor there. I was wrong, period.

In all honesty Benji, both Chapters 98 and 99 seem to me to be an afterthought. They do not in my opinion flow with the rest of the story. The problems I am having with the some of the disclosures presented in Chapters 98 and 99 are: They are not logical. One of the facts established in the plot was: Dirk was waiting for several Statutes of Limitations to expire. This is a major part of the story. During the presentation of these two chapters we are told the following: Rachel was actively being investigated for Income Tax Evasion. This investigation covered a period of approximately ten years of failing to pay income tax. Once Rachel was declared deceased, the IRS closed the investigation and took no further action. During the course of the investigation, the IRS investigators discovered the false documents filed by both Dirk and Rachel. These were the foundation for one of the Criminal Conspiracies, Dirk was awaiting the expiration of. During the ten-year conspiracy the loans were paid off and the Atlantis purchased with money earned by Rachel’s criminal activities.

Here are some of the illogical conclusions CJ expects me to accept: Rachel knew she was being investigated by IRS, but continued to operate illegal charters for several years. The IRS knew about the original Criminal Conspiracy, but did not prosecute Dirk after Rachel disappeared. Dirk owned, after Rachel was declared deceased, the Chandlery and several commercial properties, as well as his residence. It is my understanding there were no liens against any of these properties. All loans had been paid off by December 1996 using funds Dirk could not justify the existance of.

The unofficial motto of the IRS is alleged to be, “Get the money.” Neither the US Government or any state or local government could successfully prosecute Al Capone for the many crimes he committed. Except for one. That was Income Tax Evasion. Al Capone could not prove he had paid income tax on the money he spent. The similarity between the Capone and Carlson cases is interesting. In both cases the governments involved could not prove the more serious crimes believed to be committed by the suspects. Specifically they believed Dirk had murdered Rachel. If the author is to be believed, they had Dirk solid for Criminal Conspiracy. It is illogical to expect me to believe they would not have allowed Dirk to walk away with the proceeds.

It is not my intention to go over Chapters 98 and 99 step-by-step, line-by-line. Those two chapters leave me with more questions, than they gave me logical answers. I do not know what future chapters will bring, but at this point I feel very disappointed.

I leave you with the following thoughts. According to Frank Tittle backed up by the worldwide duet chorus, Dirk and Rachel were not at fault. They were the victims of a bad law. They did everything possible so they could pay the taxes. Well, a couple of years after buying Ares and finding out they could not legally use her for charter purposes, they double the size of their fleet by buying the Atlantis. Which by the way, they paid cash for using cash, which I believe, was primarily acquired by the illegal charter operation.

There are some readers who believed Rachel disappeared to protect her family from the Cartel. Nope! Rachel didn’t want to go to jail. I wonder how much Rachel took with her in cash when she took off.

On top of that she arrives in Australia and promptly drags her sister and her friends into another Criminal Conspiracy.

Then there is Dirk. Back there in Florida, Wringing his hands, declaring, “Trevor is the victim.” Why is he? Because both his parents are as crooked as a dog’s hind leg.

Something for you to think about Benji,

Marty

BTW. This was prepared prior to the posting of the Chapter 100. Any least it is numbered that way on the Circumnavigation Home Page. I wished to be sure nothing in the Century Chapter refuted anything I included herein. On the contrary, Chapter 100 confirms one of my points.

Posted Image ...........Hey Marty!

I was right on a lot of things in the storyline, but wrong about Rachel's reason for disappearing. The next piece of the puzzle will be Gonzales discovering that Rachel holds some information that will help him, but not much. It will take Trevor and Shane to make a discovery aboard the Ares to nail Bridget. Going to a mighty fine phone call between Trevor and Dirk. I do hope Joel sticks to his promise and comes straight home after school, and not stop by the guesthouse to pick-up the suitcases.

I was right on a lot of things in the storyline, but wrong about Rachel's reason for disappearing. The next piece of the puzzle will be Gonzales discovering that Rachel holds some information that will help him, but not much. It will take Trevor and Shane to make a discovery aboard the Ares to nail Bridget. Going to a mighty fine phone call between Trevor and Dirk. I do hope Joel sticks to his promise and comes straight home after school, and not stop by the guesthouse to pick-up the suitcases.

Benji,

One thing I really like about you is the fact you are the eternal "Optimist." Do you really think that CJ would pass up the opportunity to insert a Monster Size Cliffhanger Circumnavigation is the best collection of Cliffhangers I have ever met. As an adventure story it is excellent. I am sure CJ will improve his ability to write a more difficult mystery if he works at it. After reading his previous stories, I guess I expected a real brain twister. That must be the reason I was so far away from the correct solution. I can understand his request for you to do the review, but for the life of me I cannot figure why he asked me. After he explained to me about a triangle approach to developing a mystery, I was expecting something to rival Ellerey Queen and wound up with a Gay Hardy Boys adventure.

Well one thing for sure. CJ still has a few chances left to raise this stories ratings. He can kill off all four teenagers. Then when Dirk learns about it, he can go on a rampage and slaughter Bridget and George, right after they kill Sanchez. Then CJ can go back to Circumnavigation Home Page and add Horror Story to the classification. Think about it. There are Bridget and George gloating over the four heads and Dirk shows up to help them celebrate. In fact CJ mentioned this basically in the Forum recently.

Marty

In all honesty Benji, both Chapters 98 and 99 seem to me to be an afterthought. They do not in my opinion flow with the rest of the story. The problems I am having with the some of the disclosures presented in Chapters 98 and 99 are: They are not logical. One of the facts established in the plot was: Dirk was waiting for several Statutes of Limitations to expire. This is a major part of the story. During the presentation of these two chapters we are told the following: Rachel was actively being investigated for Income Tax Evasion. This investigation covered a period of approximately ten years of failing to pay income tax. Once Rachel was declared deceased, the IRS closed the investigation and took no further action. During the course of the investigation, the IRS investigators discovered the false documents filed by both Dirk and Rachel. These were the foundation for one of the Criminal Conspiracies, Dirk was awaiting the expiration of. During the ten-year conspiracy the loans were paid off and the Atlantis purchased with money earned by Rachel’s criminal activities.

Here are some of the illogical conclusions CJ expects me to accept: Rachel knew she was being investigated by IRS, but continued to operate illegal charters for several years. The IRS knew about the original Criminal Conspiracy, but did not prosecute Dirk after Rachel disappeared. Dirk owned, after Rachel was declared deceased, the Chandlery and several commercial properties, as well as his residence. It is my understanding there were no liens against any of these properties. All loans had been paid off by December 1996 using funds Dirk could not justify the existance of.

I think you have it wrong on a couple of details. Rachel did not know she was under investigation and keep up the illegal activities. It's mentioned that the first warning they had was when the IRS paid a visit to their accountant. I don't recall exactly what Dirk said, but it was within a year or two of Rachel leaving Florida. So, it's not as if they knew all along (Rachel's illegal activities began with the first charter on Ares, well before Trevor was born). The IRS investigation began with Bridget's tip-off to the IRS, so did not run for the length of time you indicate. Also, all we know that Rachel did illegally during the time she knew of the investigation was that final charter, and then the stuff involving her leaving Florida.

Legally, Dirk did not need to justify the existence of the funds used to pay off the loan. He already had proof that he had a potential source of funds: the inheritance mentioned. Remember, in that era especially, though to a large degree even now, you were only obligated to report taxable income, not the amount of your holdings. It was then, as it is now, quite legal to keep private the amount of your holdings (excluding recently some things, such as IRA accounts, where you have to disclose the amount). A bank account will have the amount often disclosed to the IRS, but not always even now, and it's totally legal to keep, say, a huge pile of cash in a safe and not report the amlount. The IRS need not know that Dirk's inheritance was gone. Also, even if he could not prove the providence of the funds, it is up to the IRS to show that the source is illegally untaxed. In the case against Capone, they had witnesses and other evidence. Here's a link to the original IRS case summary.

The investigation into Rachel basically ended with her "death", because they had no irrefutable proof of the tax crimes plus the tip had named Rachel, not Dirk. They also were motivated by the fact that Dirk was now the subject of a murder investigation (for Rachel's death). It was Rachel they were after, and they thought she was dead. Could they have gone after Dirk alone? Sure, but only for the original matter of filing false loan applications as a co-signator, which is a rather hollow charge after the loan has been paid off in full. It's also not something the IRS would normally do except to put pressure on a tax suspect (as they were doing to Rachel). As for Dirk, they could not prove that he knew what Rachel was doing, let alone that he was involved. The thrust of their case "died" with Rachel.

Where do they have a prosecutable case against Dirk once Rachel is "dead"? Conspiricy between husband and wife is darn hard to prove in most cases (due to the inability to compel testimony) but with one 'dead' and no witnesses to any conspiricy, where is their provable case? They can't actually do much without a provable case. I think it's highly likley they kept a close eye on Dirk, looking for any further evidence, but the suspected operations perforce ended with Rachel's "death".

And, as a hypothetical; could Dirk justify the existance of the funds used? Sure he could; he owns two buisnesses; the chandlery, plus some income property (nearby stores and the docks) which would need to be on seperate Schedule C's. All he'd have to do was inflate the profit figures, pay a bit of income tax, and bingo, the money is then seen as profit and leitimate and can then be used to pay off the loan. This would not actually be illegal asside from the illegal source (which would make it money laundering, if they could prove the source); there's no law against overstating your profits by failing to list deductions and thus paying more in tax. :)

Lisa and Joel leaving early (assumign they do) should have some interesting ramifications for all concerned. :)

Plus, Lisa and Joel now know that Dirk and Jim are a couple... and Lisa wants to tell Trevor that little detail in person. :)

Lisa and Joel leaving early (assuming they do) should have some interesting ramifications for all concerned. Posted Image

Plus, Lisa and Joel now know that Dirk and Jim are a couple... and Lisa wants to tell Trevor that little detail in person. Posted Image

Posted Image ............. Well if Lisa is able to reach Trevor before landing in Australia, they will have to make arrangements to meet early. Still her news will not be as shocking as Trevor's will be back to her. Problem I see will the two obey their parents, and go straight home or make a quick stop at the guesthouse. What if Lisa calls Trevor while in school and he blurts out the that Rachel is alive and well in Australia with the Ares intact with Joel while retrieving the suitcases. This will alert Bridget and George that the cops are on it already, and their jig is up. Posted Image As we all know teens follow their parents grounding to the letter! Posted Image

Edited by Benji

I think you have it wrong on a couple of details. Rachel did not know she was under investigation and keep up the illegal activities. It's mentioned that the first warning they had was when the IRS paid a visit to their accountant. I don't recall exactly what Dirk said, but it was within a year or two of Rachel leaving Florida. So, it's not as if they knew all along (Rachel's illegal activities began with the first charter on Ares, well before Trevor was born). The IRS investigation began with Bridget's tip-off to the IRS, so did not run for the length of time you indicate. Also, all we know that Rachel did illegally during the time she knew of the investigation was that final charter, and then the stuff involving her leaving Florida.

Legally, Dirk did not need to justify the existence of the funds used to pay off the loan. He already had proof that he had a potential source of funds: the inheritance mentioned. Remember, in that era especially, though to a large degree even now, you were only obligated to report taxable income, not the amount of your holdings. It was then, as it is now, quite legal to keep private the amount of your holdings (excluding recently some things, such as IRA accounts, where you have to disclose the amount). A bank account will have the amount often disclosed to the IRS, but not always even now, and it's totally legal to keep, say, a huge pile of cash in a safe and not report the amlount. The IRS need not know that Dirk's inheritance was gone. Also, even if he could not prove the providence of the funds, it is up to the IRS to show that the source is illegally untaxed. In the case against Capone, they had witnesses and other evidence. Here's a link to the original IRS case summary.

The investigation into Rachel basically ended with her "death", because they had no irrefutable proof of the tax crimes plus the tip had named Rachel, not Dirk. They also were motivated by the fact that Dirk was now the subject of a murder investigation (for Rachel's death). It was Rachel they were after, and they thought she was dead. Could they have gone after Dirk alone? Sure, but only for the original matter of filing false loan applications as a co-signator, which is a rather hollow charge after the loan has been paid off in full. It's also not something the IRS would normally do except to put pressure on a tax suspect (as they were doing to Rachel). As for Dirk, they could not prove that he knew what Rachel was doing, let alone that he was involved. The thrust of their case "died" with Rachel.

Where do they have a prosecutable case against Dirk once Rachel is "dead"? Conspiricy between husband and wife is darn hard to prove in most cases (due to the inability to compel testimony) but with one 'dead' and no witnesses to any conspiricy, where is their provable case? They can't actually do much without a provable case. I think it's highly likley they kept a close eye on Dirk, looking for any further evidence, but the suspected operations perforce ended with Rachel's "death".

And, as a hypothetical; could Dirk justify the existance of the funds used? Sure he could; he owns two buisnesses; the chandlery, plus some income property (nearby stores and the docks) which would need to be on seperate Schedule C's. All he'd have to do was inflate the profit figures, pay a bit of income tax, and bingo, the money is then seen as profit and leitimate and can then be used to pay off the loan. This would not actually be illegal asside from the illegal source (which would make it money laundering, if they could prove the source); there's no law against overstating your profits by failing to list deductions and thus paying more in tax. Posted Image

Lisa and Joel leaving early (assumign they do) should have some interesting ramifications for all concerned. Posted Image

Plus, Lisa and Joel now know that Dirk and Jim are a couple... and Lisa wants to tell Trevor that little detail in person. Posted Image

CJ

You will note I have uploaded a photocopy of a Log I maintain. I started this to assist me keep track of events in Circumnavigation. I will be more than glad to upload the MS Excel file if someone will explain to me how to do it. Maybe some kind reader will explain how to post a picture using the new setup.

Your rather lengthy discourse contains comments where you state you are unable to determine dates. Maybe you would like to use this log to refresh your recollection. That way you can edit your posting.

The major hole in your defense is something I believe you have overlooked. For several years Rachel operated Ocean Star Charters. There were two, I repeat, two boats. There is a mention in the novel of the company having three employees. I believe it is fair to believe there had to be a crew to operate the second vessel. Those people had to be paid. Those people would be available to be interviewed by IRS during the approximately two and a half years IRS was investigating the Carlson’s. IRS contacted the accountant’s in December 1994 according to Dirk in Chapter 99. Ares Disappeared in May 1997.

If, after you refresh your recollection, you wish to present your comments here in the forum, I would be more than glad to respond.

The log contains in the two rightmost columns the location in the story where the information was disclosed. Any reader who wishes to do so may verify the accuracy of my data.

I await your response.

http://www.gayauthor...image/6014-log/

Unfortunately I have not figured out how to actually post a picture in the new Forum setup. You will have to click the link to see the photocopy of my log.

Edited by MartyS

CJ

You will note I have uploaded a photocopy of a Log I maintain. I started this to assist me keep track of events in Circumnavigation. I will be more than glad to upload the MS Excel file if someone will explain to me how to do it. Maybe some kind reader will explain how to post a picture using the new setup.

Your rather lengthy discourse contains comments where you state you are unable to determine dates. Maybe you would like to use this log to refresh your recollection. That way you can edit your posting.

The major hole in your defense is something I believe you have overlooked. For several years Rachel operated Ocean Star Charters. There were two, I repeat, two boats. There is a mention in the novel of the company having three employees. I believe it is fair to believe there had to be a crew to operate the second vessel. Those people had to be paid. Those people would be available to be interviewed by IRS during the approximately two and a half years IRS was investigating the Carlson’s. IRS contacted the accountant’s in December 1994 according to Dirk in Chapter 99. Ares Disappeared in May 1997.

If, after you refresh your recollection, you wish to present your comments here in the forum, I would be more than glad to respond.

The log contains in the two rightmost columns the location in the story where the information was disclosed. Any reader who wishes to do so may verify the accuracy of my data.

I await your response.

Unfortunately I have not figured out how to actually post a picture in the new Forum setup. You will have to click the link to see the photocopy of my log.

I'll post the table here;

Posted Image

BTW, What I do to post images is display them in the gallery (follow your link, the click once) then right click on the image, select "copy image to clipboard", then return to the post, click on the image button, and past in the link.

My point was that the IRS investigation into Rachel and Dirk commenced, even by your own reckoning, in Dec 1994. That's based on Dirk's statement of ABOUT 12 years ago. My own notes say he was rounding up and it was just a few months later (summer, 2005) and I one of the reasons I had him say "about" was because I didn't think he'd remember exactly off the top of his head, but, I didn't say that in the story, so let's use your own date, Dec 1994. She set sail from Florida for Australia in May, 1997. I count that as being approximately two and a half years. You said several years and cited that as one of the things you found implausible.

Rachel knew she was being investigated by IRS, but continued to operate illegal charters for several years.

The definition (I believe it to be a common and accurate one) I use for "several" is "Three or more".

Your log of events is superb work, and I truly wish I had been so meticulous in my outline, which lacked dates in many places. That lead me to spending lots of time looking for references, as well as making some glaring errors, such as 8 day weeks and the like. I have learned from this, and will absolutely do so for my next novel, instead of trying to keep so much of it in my head.

Yes, she operated Ocean Star Charters, sort of. It was an entity she set up while trying to make the charters legal (including while petitioning for a Jones Act waiver) but many of her charters were, perforce, under the table and off the books. After there were two boats, were they being operated? Yes, but there is no mention of how. Dirk mentions hiring a couple to run Atlantis, but that's after Rachel left. For anything more on this, you'll have to wait until the conversation between Rachel and Gonzalez. However, you raise an interesting point, so even if we hypothetically assume the existence of crew for one of the boats prior to Rachel's departure, you seem to be assuming that they would be honest in any interview. It also requires the assumption that the IRS knew of them and could find them. If they were being paid under the table, they could not be honest (even if the IRS found them) without implicating themselves for concealing income.

I'll post the table here;

Posted Image

BTW, What I do to post images is display them in the gallery (follow your link, the click once) then right click on the image, select "copy image to clipboard", then return to the post, click on the image button, and past in the link.

My point was that the IRS investigation into Rachel and Dirk commenced, even by your own reckoning, in Dec 1994. That's based on Dirk's statement of ABOUT 12 years ago. My own notes say he was rounding up and it was just a few months later (summer, 2005) and I one of the reasons I had him say "about" was because I didn't think he'd remember exactly off the top of his head, but, I didn't say that in the story, so let's use your own date, Dec 1994. She set sail from Florida for Australia in May, 1997. I count that as being approximately two and a half years. You said several years and cited that as one of the things you found implausible.

The definition (I believe it to be a common and accurate one) I use for "several" is "Three or more".

Your log of events is superb work, and I truly wish I had been so meticulous in my outline, which lacked dates in many places. That lead me to spending lots of time looking for references, as well as making some glaring errors, such as 8 day weeks and the like. I have learned from this, and will absolutely do so for my next novel, instead of trying to keep so much of it in my head.

Yes, she operated Ocean Star Charters, sort of. It was an entity she set up while trying to make the charters legal (including while petitioning for a Jones Act waiver) but many of her charters were, perforce, under the table and off the books. After there were two boats, were they being operated? Yes, but there is no mention of how. Dirk mentions hiring a couple to run Atlantis, but that's after Rachel left. For anything more on this, you'll have to wait until the conversation between Rachel and Gonzalez. However, you raise an interesting point, so even if we hypothetically assume the existence of crew for one of the boats prior to Rachel's departure, you seem to be assuming that they would be honest in any interview. It also requires the assumption that the IRS knew of them and could find them. If they were being paid under the table, they could not be honest (even if the IRS found them) without implicating themselves for concealing income.

How to conduct an investigation. In simplified format.

The storyline establishes the fact that IRS was investigating Dirk and Rachel. Bridget who supplied that agency with specific information regarding probable tax evasion instigated the investigation.

Upon receiving information from an informant the first step would be to determine if the people actually existed and was there any reason to believe the reported crime. Once that was established, the investigator would do some background inquires. This should involve observations of the subjects along with learning where they worked and what they did. Seeing as it was IRS, I have no doubt expect banking records would be checked. Any property owned and ownership of vehicles and definitely boats would be included.

All of this would be accomplished long before IRS went anywhere near any accountants. Simple observations would establish there was a business being conducted. Seeing as Rachel was not reporting any income from operating a charter service, her tax returns would show that. IRS would then I am sure, identify any employees working for Rachel. Employees have to be paid. Meals purchased along with fuel. Trevor referred to docking fees for his catamaran as part of his expenses. Were Rachel’s boats moored at property owned by them? They would want to identify the people using the charter service. I know one of my steps would be, to attempt to have someone go out on a charter, aboard one of the boats. Then pay for it using a check. That would provide documentary evidence. If she insisted on being paid using cash, I am sure that would be done with a tape recorder in use. This would all be done before going public.

The purchase of both the Ares and Atlantis did generate public records. Sergeant Gonzales and Lisa found them. The sergeant also found the records of the creation of Ocean Star Charters and the fact that neither that company nor Rachel reported having ever taken out a charter. When the fact that the company and it's assests were owned by a very young child IRS would, i believe go into high gear. Payments must have been made to satisfy the demands of the note to purchase the Ares. According to Dirk in Chapter 99, after he paid up all outstanding loans, his attorney was upset. I don’t doubt it. Dirk would have eventually had to explain where the money came from to pay them off.

All of these steps would have been taken before IRS went to anyone including accountants. They would know the word would get back to Dirk and Rachel. IRS would have had all their ducks in a row before they went public. My understanding is Bridget gave to IRS exact information. I believe before contacting the accountants, IRS would have positively identified clients who used the charters service. They would have had to determine if they paid for the charter or if they were Rachel’s guests.

Before I read Chapters 98 and 99 and learned it was IRS investigating, I questioned how she could have operated the business for almost ten years, without some governmental agency tripping over her. Hell, IRS could have contacted the Coast Guard and requested they do a Safety Inspection. They sure would have known about the Merchant Marine Act. A certified USCG Boarding Officer has an awesome authority. He may board any vessel operating in the Navigational Waters of the United States and conduct a safety inspection. No warrant necessary nor probable cause needed. The vessel does no even have to be underway. The vessel can moored in a dock, alongside a pier.

My personal opinion is, I do not know if IRS could have been able to gotten a criminal conviction against Dirk. But there is no doubt in my mind they would be in a position to move against the properly.

Without proof, they can't move against property. They can file a tax lien at the touch of a button, but unless they can then prove their case, it's voided. (it does, however, remain on the record forever).

Could they force an inspection, etc, yes.

We do not know exactly what Bridget gave the IRS.

Would they have done some checking before contacting the accountant? I think you are likely right.

You are, however, assuming that Rachel had employees on the illegal charters.

You're also assuming that the Jones Act forbids any sort of charters. It does not. It forbids carrying of passengers in the case of waiver-less foreign built boat, which includes the kind of charters we saw Trevor do. What it does not preclude is bare-bones charters, which is basically someone renting the boat (the owner would not be going along, nor any crew). That would be a legal business use, and would be income Rachel could report on a schedule C for Ocean Star Charters. I'm not saying she did or didn't (you'll need to wait for the conversation between Rachel and Gonzalez for that and some other info) but she surely could have.

I honestly can't recall whether or not Trevor referred to docking fees at his home marina as part of his expenses. He may very well not know who actually owns the dock (and his father was obviously keeping quiet on anything financial), and also we don't know if that dock was one owned by Dirk; there are a lot in that marina, and the regular boat slip docks could not take Atlantis; she's far too wide to fit in a slip. She was tied up on a straight dock. Also, ownership does not mean you're the one collecting rents. The land-based equivalent is an apartment building; it is likely to be run by a management agency, instead of the owner directly.

Posted Image ......... I wasn't going to comment on this thread, Marty has this soooooo well charted this out, my hat is off to him (but then again I never wear a hat) Posted Image But the docking fees came to mind here, couldn't Dirk own them out right since he owns all the buildings on the block? And wouldn't it make sense that the docks are included in the land? That said it seems to be a bit irreverent anyways, I doubt that aspect will ever come back into the story. The focus left is on Lisa and Joel, and maybe Gonzales interaction with a Rachel meeting. And of course around the corner is Mr. B. our professional hit man!

But I see the next chapter as a bit quiet, maybe revealing a few facts information, but basically Lisa and Joel leaving Florida, now if they adhered to their parents wishes and did not stop off at the guesthouse to retrieve Trevor's bags. Then it is a quiet chapter, however if they do, all hell can break loose if they speak in the guesthouse, about any revelations between Trevor and them that is repeated in the guesthouse. Once Bridget and George realize that the Aries is still around they may panic. I see George taking the easy route and leaving Bridget and protecting himself, he has made a few voyages out without letting Bridget know. But I suspect Bridget does indeed know, having a GPS on the Sea witch that George is unaware of, and has been tracking it. I'm sure Bridget will kill George and try for an escape before the cartel can figure out the incriminating documents left behind on the Ares by Arnold are had known to the police. Sanchez may also be forced to flee or get 'promoted'.

Edited by Benji

CJ,

I start this, my final posting on this inane discussion, with some observations. There is no doubt in my mind you are an author who can weave together fact and fantasy to produce an interesting narrative. You did an incredible amount of research to insure the events you describe are historically and geographically correct. Your description of the route taken by Trevor from the time he departed Florida until he departed the Seychelles was in my opinion factual. My gut feeling was you had been where you said he was. Either that, or you had available, assistance from people who had actually been there. The proof of my observations is the fact you received a miniscule number, if any challenges to your description of Trevor’s travels. As you well know, I was shocked when I attempted to see the bank using Google, not to see it at the location you described. Your explanation once I brought it to your attention was certainly covered by the axiom allowing the author of fiction to bend, fold, roll and manipulate facts to permit the development of a storyline. A principle I heartily support.

However I believe your right to stage-manage the plot needs to be parked outside the door to the Forum. The plot you describe which addresses the activities of Dirk and Rachel for the decade prior to the Disappearance is acceptable only within the narrative. Your description of the procedures used by the IRS fall into the same classification. Your description of the actions taken by Officers Fowler and Grundig display your lack of both knowledge and understanding of correct law enforcement policies and procedures. Sergeant Gonzalez entered into a Criminal Conspiracy with Henry when he permitted and then directly involved himself in an illegal electronic surveillance of Joel’s conversations while he was driving his car. I can accept everything I have outlined and indeed much more, as part of the storyline.

When you step into the Forum you do not seem to be able to separate the fictional world from the real. Your nomination of Sergeant Gonzalez as an honest person is the most recent and an excellent example. Your initial rigorous defense of the Sergeant crashed and burned in my opinion, when I raised the subject of his direct involvement in the illegal eavesdropping of Joel. I would describe the actions of Mike Gonzalez interactions with Henry as at best paying lip service to the law, instead of complying and enforcing with the law. I believe this is perfectly acceptable as part of the plot, but not in the Forum. Your portrayal of the Internal Revenue Service and the described activities and actions of that agency and agents stretch my ability to accept them as a plot device. One of the best descriptions I have read that describes their operations is, “Slash and Burn.” The Tax Courts in this country have been depicted at best as “Kangaroo Courts.” Any taxpayer who enters them is treated as guilty until proven innocent. I believe their agents will drag innocent people into them. Why not? They have nothing to loose. Court costs for cases lost by the government, are absorbed by the system. In the Forum you are attempting to portray the actions and procedures used by IRS as being realistic. There is one fact established in the first conspiracy. Dirk signed papers, which were the foundation of that conspiracy. You also establish the IRS learned of this. Then after the highly suspicious disappearance of the Ares and Rachel, you expect me to believe the IRS quietly folded there tents and went away. It lives in the plot, but not in the Forum.

I believe an author has the right to speak, “Ex cathedra,” when they address the contents of the plot in their novels. For you to speak in the Forum and proclaim, “This is a fact in the story because I say it is,” is your absolute right. In my opinion, that is not what you are doing. You are attempting to regularize an error by Proclamation. I see what you are doing as, taking something you have created in the plot and attempting to convince the readers in the Forum, it is a fact.

Any reader, who wishes to do so, may examine my Investigators Log. They may if they wish to, adjust the logged date. They can then compare the established facts appearing in the novel. Collate in the posted comments by both you and myself. They may reach their own conclusions. One thought is certainly flashing in my mind. It appears at the end of each chapter. “Any remaining errors are mine alone.”

Everyone makes mistakes. I try not to judge people by their errors, but rather by the way they correct them. I intend to close this dialogue at this point. I do not intend to reply directly to any comments. I am sure the readers can decide if there is any validity to my observations.

Edited by MartyS

Posted Image ......... I wasn't going to comment on this thread, Marty has this soooooo well charted this out, my hat is off to him (but then again I never wear a hat) Posted Image But the docking fees came to mind here, couldn't Dirk own them out right since he owns all the buildings on the block? And wouldn't it make sense that the docks are included in the land? That said it seems to be a bit irreverent anyways, I doubt that aspect will ever come back into the story. The focus left is on Lisa and Joel, and maybe Gonzales interaction with a Rachel meeting. And of course around the corner is Mr. B. our professional hit man!

But I see the next chapter as a bit quiet, maybe revealing a few facts information, but basically Lisa and Joel leaving Florida, now if they adhered to their parents wishes and did not stop off at the guesthouse to retrieve Trevor's bags. Then it is a quiet chapter, however if they do, all hell can break loose if they speak in the guesthouse, about any revelations between Trevor and them that is repeated in the guesthouse. Once Bridget and George realize that the Aries is still around they may panic. I see George taking the easy route and leaving Bridget and protecting himself, he has made a few voyages out without letting Bridget know. But I suspect Bridget does indeed know, having a GPS on the Sea witch that George is unaware of, and has been tracking it. I'm sure Bridget will kill George and try for an escape before the cartel can figure out the incriminating documents left behind on the Ares by Arnold are had known to the police. Sanchez may also be forced to flee or get 'promoted'.

Okay, first, let's take a look at the marina in Ft. Pierce. This link should bring it up in google maps. In it, you can see just one big catamaran, and it's the southeasternmost boat moored in the marina. In the initial chapters of the book I described Atlantis as being moored there, though on the north rather than the south side of that pier.

Dirk is mentioned as owning some of the boat docks, though not all of the ones in the marina (there are a lot). I envision (yes, Marty, I'm taking artistic license here) that the Chandlery is about where we see the icon for Whitecar Marine Services. The adjoining piers in that spot are slip moorings, where Atlantis could not fit. They are for monohull boats. The place we see the big catamaran moored isn't adjoining the chandlery or that likely parcel. :)

You know what's really irksome? See the north side of the marina; it's Florida A1, crossing the Indian River. I drove across it not long before starting this story and thus right past the marina. I have wished many times I had stopped for a look around and to take some pictures. :)

And yep, if Bridget and George learn that Ares is still around, they might have elevated stress levels for a while. :)

CJ,

I start this, my final posting on this inane discussion, with some observations. There is no doubt in my mind you are an author who can weave together fact and fantasy to produce an interesting narrative. You did an incredible amount of research to insure the events you describe are historically and geographically correct. Your description of the route taken by Trevor from the time he departed Florida until he departed the Seychelles was in my opinion factual. My gut feeling was you had been where you said he was. Either that, or you had available, assistance from people who had actually been there. The proof of my observations is the fact you received a miniscule number, if any challenges to your description of Trevor’s travels. As you well know, I was shocked when I attempted to see the bank using Google, not to see it at the location you described. Your explanation once I brought it to your attention was certainly covered by the axiom allowing the author of fiction to bend, fold, roll and manipulate facts to permit the development of a storyline. A principle I heartily support.

However I believe your right to stage-manage the plot needs to be parked outside the door to the Forum. The plot you describe which addresses the activities of Dirk and Rachel for the decade prior to the Disappearance is acceptable only within the narrative. Your description of the procedures used by the IRS fall into the same classification. Your description of the actions taken by Officers Fowler and Grundig display your lack of both knowledge and understanding of correct law enforcement policies and procedures. Sergeant Gonzalez entered into a Criminal Conspiracy with Henry when he permitted and then directly involved himself in an illegal electronic surveillance of Joel’s conversations while he was driving his car. I can accept everything I have outlined and indeed much more, as part of the storyline.

When you step into the Forum you do not seem to be able to separate the fictional world from the real. Your nomination of Sergeant Gonzalez as an honest person is the most recent and an excellent example. Your initial rigorous defense of the Sergeant crashed and burned in my opinion, when I raised the subject of his direct involvement in the illegal eavesdropping of Joel. I would describe the actions of Mike Gonzalez interactions with Henry as at best paying lip service to the law, instead of complying and enforcing with the law. I believe this is perfectly acceptable as part of the plot, but not in the Forum. Your portrayal of the Internal Revenue Service and the described activities and actions of that agency and agents stretch my ability to accept them as a plot device. One of the best descriptions I have read that describes their operations is, “Slash and Burn.” The Tax Courts in this country have been depicted at best as “Kangaroo Courts.” Any taxpayer who enters them is treated as guilty until proven innocent. I believe their agents will drag innocent people into them. Why not? They have nothing to loose. Court costs for cases lost by the government, are absorbed by the system. In the Forum you are attempting to portray the actions and procedures used by IRS as being realistic. There is one fact established in the first conspiracy. Dirk signed papers, which were the foundation of that conspiracy. You also establish the IRS learned of this. Then after the highly suspicious disappearance of the Ares and Rachel, you expect me to believe the IRS quietly folded there tents and went away. It lives in the plot, but not in the Forum.

I believe an author has the right to speak, “Ex cathedra,” when they address the contents of the plot in their novels. For you to speak in the Forum and proclaim, “This is a fact in the story because I say it is,” is your absolute right. In my opinion, that is not what you are doing. You are attempting to regularize an error by Proclamation. I see what you are doing as, taking something you have created in the plot and attempting to convince the readers in the Forum, it is a fact.

Any reader, who wishes to do so, may examine my Investigators Log. They may if they wish to, adjust the logged date. They can then compare the established facts appearing in the novel. Collate in the posted comments by both you and myself. They may reach their own conclusions. One thought is certainly flashing in my mind. It appears at the end of each chapter. “Any remaining errors are mine alone.”

Everyone makes mistakes. I try not to judge people by their errors, but rather by the way they correct them. I intend to close this dialogue at this point. I do not intend to reply directly to any comments. I am sure the readers can decide if there is any validity to my observations.

Marty, I'm about done here myself.

My lack of understanding and knowledge of correct police procedures, as you say, would be apt ONLY if I had maintained that Fowler and Grundig acted in total accordance with their rules and procedures. I have said Fowler cut Trevor a break, albeit a small one, by not arresting him. Under the circumstances, I consider such a break well justified; Trevor had arrived after a horrific ordeal at sea, and in such bad shape that they wanted to put him in hospital. I maintain that under such circumstances he'd get some leeway. True, he moved his gun to avoid it being seen, but while we know that, Fowler does not?.

Gonzalez: Yes, I consider him honest. Did he break the law regarding Joel's car? Let's assume he did. He was doing it in the pursuit of justice, a thing in which he deeply believes. I have the same right to voice my opinions in this forum as you do Marty, and my opinion of Gonzalez is that he's an honest, clean cop who serves the cause of Justice. I see no contradiction because he may have broken a law or procedure. Honesty and the law are not, in my opinion, always the same thing, and a hell of a lot of dishonesty has taken place under color of law.

Now, as for Gonzalez's involvement with bugging Joel's car. Here's what Gonzalez said to Henry about that in 85;

Henry, I’ve broken more rules working with you than I have in my entire career. That bug you planted in Joel’s car was useful as hell, but I don’t like it, at all, and I’d have nixed the idea had I known in advance. You’re breaking laws, Henry. I justify it to myself because it’s in the service of Justice, including bringing down a dirty cop.

Your claim above is he entered into a criminal conspiracy with Henry when he permitted the bugging of Joel';s car. I believe you were also saying something about crashing and burning?

Now as for the IRS: They are IMHO the most draconian institutions in American government, and they commit grave abuses, but not in every case. What they apparently, according to Dirk, had Dirk cold on was the loan application forms, which is not a tax matter. They had no legal grounds to seize anything of his, so they didn't. They had a minor possible charge (very minor, once the loan was paid off) and then they put things on hold because they thought Dirk was going down for murder one. Like any agency, they have limited manpower and thus aren't inclined to waste it. Plus, on the tax side, an anonymous tip is not enough to do much with, especially when it names Rachel, not Dirk. If you think I'm wrong on this, show me a precidentiary case or a legal citation proving it (not merely that it has occured at some point, but is the usual practice), and I'll happily admit any error on my part.

Do I make mistakes? Oh hell yes, I do. And when I do and am made aware of it (an actual mistake), I usually proclaim it and not try to hide it. That does not, however, mean I won't argue when I consider the facts to be on my side.

Hi Benji,

I said it before, and I will say it again. You are an optimist. There should be no more quiet chapters IMHO. At this point in time there is no telling what may or may not appear in however many more chapters remain. Do you really think that CJ would pass up the opportunity to insert more than one cliffhanger per chapter if he could? Presently there are two potential sources. One here in the US the other down under. Thank you for the kind words about my Investigators Log. I am feeing pretty good right now. I set out to accomplish something a couple of days ago. I found out yesterday i succeeded better than my wildest imagination thought possible. It is all in knowing how to push the right buttons.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

My lack of understanding and knowledge of correct police procedures, as you say, would be apt ONLY if I had maintained that Fowler and Grundig acted in total accordance with their rules and procedures.  I have said Fowler cut Trevor a break, albeit a small one, by not arresting him. Under the circumstances, I consider such a break well justified; Trevor had arrived after a horrific ordeal at sea, and in such bad shape that they wanted to put him in hospital. I maintain that under such circumstances he'd get some leeway. True, he moved his gun to avoid it being seen, but while we know that, Fowler does not?.

Gonzalez: Yes, I consider him honest. Did he break the law regarding Joel's car? Let's assume he did. He was doing it in the pursuit of justice, a thing in which he deeply believes. I have the same right to voice my opinions in this forum as you do Marty, and my opinion of Gonzalez is that he's an honest, clean cop who serves the cause of Justice. I see no contradiction because he may have broken a law or procedure. Honesty and the law are not, in my opinion, always the same thing, and a hell of a lot of dishonesty has taken place under color of law.

Now, as for Gonzalez's involvement with bugging Joel's car. Here's what Gonzalez said to Henry about that in 85;

Now as for the IRS: They are IMHO the most draconian institutions in American government, and they commit grave abuses, but not in every case. What they apparently, according to Dirk, had Dirk cold on was the loan application forms, which is not a tax matter. They had no legal grounds to seize anything of his, so they didn't. They had a minor possible charge (very minor, once the loan was paid off) and then they put things on hold because they thought Dirk was going down for murder one. Like any agency, they have limited manpower and thus aren't inclined to waste it. Plus, on the tax side, an anonymous tip is not enough to do much with, especially when it names Rachel, not Dirk. If you think I'm wrong on this, show me a precidentiary case or a legal citation proving it (not merely that it has occured at some point, but is the usual practice), and I'll happily admit any error on my part.

Do I make mistakes? Oh hell yes, I do. And when I do and am made aware of it (an actual mistake), I usually proclaim it and not try to hide it. That does not, however, mean I won't argue when I consider the facts to be on my side.

I'll just chip in my two penny worth on two matters:  

With regard to the police and customs characters' dilatory observance of correct procedure, well I met a few policemen a while ago, and one thing that struck me was the "pragmatic" approach taken to process and procedure.  I'm sure there has been a change in this culture, following some high profile complaints and convictions overturned on appeal, but at the time this tale is set, 2006, it is credible that the old adage "rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools" was still observed in real life by the old school copper and probably is still being observed by some when they think they can get away with it and / or they decide by reference to their own ethics that it is the "right thing to do".  

And I never cease to be amazed by the capacity for large organisations to be inefficient, to cock things up, to fail to follow up cases, to misplace files, to lose data, to implement crappy computer systems and implement them in a crappy manner, to fail to adequately train staff,  to fail to hand-over when staff leave etc etc etc.  I have no experience of the IRS, nor thankfully ever will have, but I would be surprised if such a vast organisation does not suffer from such inefficiencies and cock-ups, so any actual or perceived failure can credibly be explained in real life never mind the fictional world portrayed by CJ's manipulative and mis-directing mind :) 

The common factor here is called human nature, and that ain't gonna change any time soon :)

Hi Benji,

I Just have to tell you about an email I received from a friend of mine. He had some real nice stuff to say about you. Also, about me. Well both us as a team.

I told him about Circumnavigation way back when I started to read it. We have been friends for years. I know he reads the Forum. Anyway we touch base from time to time.

In his email he said CJ should have had us as part of his team. Then he explained. He believes the Who-done-it mystery we described in July would have stumped a hell of a lot more than CJs did.. I can’t quote exactly what his opinion was about CJs idea of a mystery. He went on to describe it as. “A hyped up P****O*S***. I am sure you can fill in the missing letters.

Maybe we should advertise and hire ourselves out to as consultants to mystery writers. They can write the story while we ghost write a hard to solve mystery.

CJ did not want Rachel to get off the hook and find a way to be able to pay taxes on the money she was making. That is an important part of his plot. So I cannot and will not fault him for not looking for an alternative method.

I did think up two ways she could have done it. She was in the Bahamas on charters all the time. Gambling is legal there. She could have claimed the money was won in card games or something like that. But the second way I think is better. Rachel could have figured her tax liability two ways. The first would be the way she actually filed. Then refigure her tax responsibility including the extra money. After doing that, she could pay the amount due on the original return. Which I believe she did. Then she could donate the difference plus one dollar to the US Government anonymously. Don’t forget Benji. That lowlife attorney Tittle said there was no victim in the first fraud, because all the loans were paid off. So the government would not have been able to claim fraud. They would have gotten more than was actually due them.

Anyway it is nice to know, that there is at least one reader out there, who recognizes the truth. The team of Benji and Marty create better mysteries, than at least one Hosted Author. Stand up and take a bow, Benji.

There are some things that puzzle me. If after approximately three years of operating the Ares illegally, why would they buy another boat that would also have had to be operated in violation of the Merchant Marine Act? Rachel certainly had enough money. She could have bought a boat built in the US. Why buy it from Bridget? The last boat Rachel bought from that family sure was a clunker. Rachel certainly knew Bridget was not happy with her. When Bridget tried very hard to buy back the Ares, Rachel said no. I also wonder why Shane never mentioned to Trevor anything about the fact that Mrs. Blake had been injured and was using a cane. He did tell him she didn’t go out on charters much.

How about it? It will give us something to do. The fact we do not always agree, but still work together, will be a plus.

Marty

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..