What is a Peep?

comicfan

Yup, us American's are driving the rest of the world nuts with comments on this confectionery treat that will absolutely rot your teeth. After one person commented on them our poor friends from around the world just keep asking, What is a Peep?

I don't advocate them but if you want to know what they are here is their website.

http://www.peepsandcompany.com/sweet-treats?gclid=COCxy5W_pa8CFcJM4AoduwvEYA

Peep wars rock!!!

And I hate marshmallows so there is no way in hell that on of those ucky things are getting near my mouth! Death to the peeps!!!!

• Like 1

My dad freaking inhales those things :P But I'm on the marshmallow hating train too so I stay away. Well, unless they're Lucky Charms "marshmallows", those rock!

I probably still have several of those stuck to my small intestine from when I was a kid.

From Wikipedia: " Furthermore, Peeps are insoluble in acetone, water, diluted sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide."

Please, instead of peeps I'd rather have Kinder eggs but they are illegal in the US. Considered a choking hazard for children. Geez. I liked the toys inside when people sent them to me from Germany. lol

I love kinder eggs, too! I used to eat peeps by the dozens as a kid but now ... ew, too much sugar.

One of our school secretaries loves peeps, though, so I bought some and put them in the freezer for a practical joke at halloween. Posted Image

True fact: All peeps that exist in the world today were made on one assembly line in Madison Wisconsin in 1952. All of them are stored in a warehouse near the original plant (sadly, the plant exploded in 1953, which guaranteed that the rather tedious-and-yet-fiddly manufacturing process was lost forever).

Did you know that a peep is perfectly flat when it comes off the assembly line? They get pumped full of nitrogen to inflate them just before packaging, and can be dyed at the same time. The warehouse is full of flat peeps stored on pallets in a cold storage facility.

When Easter rolls around the peeps are pulled from storage, dusted off, inflated and dyed if needed. They are shipped to stores starting in March, but the timing has to be right or the peeps lose their nitrogen charge, which leads to cracking of the peepcrust.

Starting tomorrow, when Easter is over, there will be a few days of local half-off sales for the remaining peeps on store shelves. Anything that's left from the half-off sales will be shipped back to the warehouse, flattened and stored again to be sold the next year.

Through the wonders of good supply chain management, in some cases the same peeps have been unpacked, inflated, flattened and stored over thirty times.

If this little niblet of peepdata has interested you, ask me about the pickle material used by fast food chains. I am a fount of good solid facts about these things.

This just made me love peeps even more. Fascinating what humans can do to make food or "food."

True fact: All peeps that exist in the world today were made on one assembly line in Madison Wisconsin in 1952. All of them are stored in a warehouse near the original plant (sadly, the plant exploded in 1953, which guaranteed that the rather tedious-and-yet-fiddly manufacturing process was lost forever)....

If this little niblet of peepdata has interested you, ask me about the pickle material used by fast food chains. I am a fount of good solid facts about these things.

• Site Administrator

Junk food is scary. Peeps are basically a non-food. The chemicals in twinkies include sulfuric acid and lime. They also have polysorbate 60, which is in thousands of processed foods, yet the Journal of National Cancer Institute has said it can cause detrimental reproductive effects, organ cancer, and toxicity in high doses. Yeah... I'm reaching for locally grown fruit the next time a sweets craving hits me.