Favorite Golden Oldies

methodwriter85

I had a straight friend who did a drag rountine to this.

I really hope Private Tim accepts my invitation to post some of his favorite golden oldies from his youth...I wanna hear some great mid-90's club hits.Posted Image

Anyway, here's a tune I discovered courtesy of Cold Case:

, 1969 Edited by methodwriter85

A Girl Like You [1994]

A "one hit wonder" by Scottish singer-songwriter Edwyn Collins, this was a huge hit in the 90s and it's since been used in movies and TV. The 60s sound comes from the sampled drum track [Len Barry's 1965 hit "1-2-3"] and the vibraphone is played by the Sex Pistols drummer. Sadly, Edwyn's not been able to play the guitar again since a serious illness in 2005 :(.

So many to choose from! But other than some songs already mentioned by others (and a lot of Greek ones that wouldn't mean anything to most people here), these are ones I'm currently listenting to:

Peter Gabriel: "In Your Eyes"

David Bowie: "Putting out the Fire (Gasoline)"

Queen: "Somebody to Love"

Roberta Flack: "Killing me Softly"

Village People: "YMCA"

Pretty much everything by Dire Straits, but especially "Twisting by the Pool"

Tina Turner "Private Dancer"

I absolutely love " Silly Love Songs". thanx.

Cool. Thanks.

I can't believe nobody posted 80's oldies didn't mention Eurythmics yet! Annie Lennox rocks!

among other from the Eurythmics are:

I Save the World Today

Shame (both original and dance mixes are good)

I've Got a Life

Here Comes the Rain Again

Posted Sweet Dreams because, well, it's their signature, but all listed are very excellent.

A slightly less heavy-hearted is Petula Clark

• Like 2

I really like Eurythmics - There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart), Missionary man and a lot of other songs :)

I love Queen - Under pressure, Who Wants to Live Forever.. Freddie Mercury died way too soon :(

• Like 1

I'm currently listenting to: Village People: "YMCA"

Aaaaaaaarrrrgggh! *runs screaming from the room ......*

Heheh this was blasted out of the No. 1 slot in 1979 by ........

THIS!

Hit Me with Your Rythm Stick [1978]

The unique Ian Dury and the Blockheads in a live performance. Ian was severely disabled by polio from childhood but he truly "lived" his life and left a legacy of unique music that just gets better the more you listen to it Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldm_H8IAHM4

And from the 60s

Reach Out I'll Be There, Four Tops [1966]

There'll still be playing this long after we're all dead Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

Cool. Thanks.

I can't believe nobody posted 80's oldies didn't mention Eurythmics yet! Annie Lennox rocks!

Sweet Dreams is a great song I agree.... but I also like the song Walking on Broken Glass

Edited by Edward

Some people know the German version 99 Luftballons better than the English version of 99 Red balloons. Since the videos are similar I wonder if they just redid it with the German track.... hmmmm.

http://youtu.be/9whehyybLqU

Edited by Edward

You wanted eighties? You got it.

I know, girls just want to have fun. We used to listen to that song a lot back when I was working in retailing, folding clothes during closing.

From the 1960s

A Whiter Shade of Pale [1967] by Procol Harum

Inspired by JS Bach, this is one of the most famous British pop songs of the 60s with original 16mm colour film of the group in London with psychedelic clothes, London bobbies and quaint red double-decker buses Posted Image

Gimme Some Lovin' [1966] by The Spencer Davis Group

Watch and gasp as an original 45 rpm vinyl single from 1966 spins and plays analogue music - in low-fi mono !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is iconic 60s British rock - it really does, er ... ROCK!!!!

And listen to the legendary Steve Winwood playing the fantastic Hammond B-3 organ

• Like 1

We've forgotten one very memorable Oldie for those of us, who tuned in to late night re-runs or grew up in the 90's for the Wonder Years.

Joe Cocker- With A Little Help From My Friends

The man got soul!