Where to meet gays offline?

boris18

Hi all,

I'm new in the US and I'd like to meet some cool gays for fun, or something more serious. As I don't know anyone in the NYC where I live now, I'd like to get some info on where to meet cool gay people.

I don't want to go to gay bars and also online dating sites feel like a scam, more or less, so where to meet them? Are there any public places or similar? I've found the GayStick.com, which is a direct matchmaking agency for gays and hopefully I'll get lucky over there. But in the meanwhile, I'd like to get some more options, if available. What do you recommend?

Try the closest public restroom? Maybe the park during night...?

Jokes aside though. The best way is to join online communities, there should be a gay version of probably any interest that you might have.

Into gaming? Maybe gaygamers.net is something for you? They have a very active online forum and an active chat at the right hours. They host meet-ups from time to time as well if you live in areas with many people. 

In Sweden, if you don't want to go to gay clubs there are other ways to meet people. There's an online community where you can chat and join different groups for those that share the same interest. There's bound to be an american version of it (and it might be better!). You can join GLBT groups that work with politics. There are GLBT singing group (most often choir or gospel), you can also volunteer for the next gay pride in your city... 

There's grindr if you own a smart phone. But be specific in the description what you're looking for as it's mostly an app for hook-ups. 

Edited by Maximoff

Like others have said, Grindr is always good. You can find tons of people willing to hook up, and others who are just looking to chat and make friends. Also, going to bars and clubs is another great way to meet people. When I was in Argentina, I met several people and made friends with them just by going to clubs and talking to people. 

Theres also Manhunt, as long as you're just looking to hook up and don't mind sifting through hundreds of profiles of old, fat guys to find the young and hot ones. 

Edited by TetRefine

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to meet somebody for the long term, join a group that does things you like to do, and meet folks who share your interests. No guarantee you'll get laid out of it, though.

Metropolitan Community Church, groups at The Center in NYC and just about any coffee house (especially Joe, McNulty's, Angelique, Mojo and Starbucks) in Greenwich Village.

You don't even necessarily believe in God to go to the MCC, but it is a good social environment.

Here are other churches/temples in NYC.

I'd also look into the GLB clubs at NYU, CUNY , Columbia and the rest of the universities in NYC. Being a student isn't a requirement for any of these clubs usually.

PS Grindr, so 2010, Jack'd is where it is at.......