Amazon Buys Goodreads

I assume most people know about Goodreads - but for those that don't it WAS an independent book review site that wasn't tied to any seller. 

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1801563&highlight

Personally I don't view this as a good thing.  Amazon already had it's own review system in place AND it had started its own reader sight - which clearly couldn't compete with GR.  By folding this into their own system, you take away an independent voice that was focused not on sales, but on readers and reader recommendations.  Oh well.  Anyone wanna start a new reader only platform to replace Goodreads??  :-P

The acquisition isn't expected to close for a while yet and if Amazon continues to operate the site pretty much as is (albeit I expect there will be links to Amazon to buy any of the books mentioned) the site should be ok as long as it is supported by people who actually like to read and review as has been the case in the past.  

I too think that Amazon is taking over the world but I have to admit I use them a lot and have gotten good service and value for my money. 

DDK

The problem comes when you factor in the Amazon policy for reviewing in the wake of the sock puppet business.  As an author on Amazon I cannot review another author's work because that is now not allowed (regardless of what the review has in content - if it is a good review then it's trying to influence sales, and if its a bad review then it's trying to kill off sales.)  Does that then mean that my years of Goodreads reviews will be wiped out?  Although I may well use Amazon as a production tool (ie, publishing through Kindle) I can also use the likes  of Smashwords as an alternative.  The one thing I cannot do is review and comment through Amazon once I am registered as an author or a publisher - so how else do I publicise?  Especially when the site (Amazon) encourages authors to do so in order to create sales and add to their profit.

• Site Administrator

I'm part of several groups on Goodreads, including the MM Romance group. I can honestly say that there are a LOT of dedicated people, should Amazon start mucking around with the site policies/procedures, that will probably be up in arms over it. I use the site daily, but I'm not a part of the system over there. Should it be an issue, I'll have to review my options and see if something else is available. *shakes head* I dislike how Amazon is spreading across the internet.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Good Reads, I go there to read reviews for books, the people there seem better at reviewing. Then there are the groups and such that Cia mentioned. So I hope Amazon just leaves it alone, they already have a nice product buying and review site set up.

I don't believe them.  Sorry, but Amazon own Shelfari and a minority interest in the only other 'reader' forum - Library thing. So with this purchase, they own all three 'readers' literary sites.  Sure they don't plan to change anything - is that in legally binding document?  Can Goodreads really do whatever it wants if they disagree with Amazon? If Amazon doesn't like the synergies from the purchase after leaving it as an independent subsidiary, will they still leave it alone?  

What made Goodreads valuable was it didn't owe it's existence to anyone BUT the readers who used the site. Now that's gone.  I don't buy for a minute that Amazon won't make changes that benefit them to the detriment of everyone else.  It's not that I dislike Amazon, quite the contrary. Jeff Bezos donated 2.5 million dollars to Washington's Marriage Equality campaign, so I'm favorably inclined toward them over the competition. But as an Author, they've really become the juggernaut that is making the decisions on a whole lot of issues - and not always good for authors.

Amazon generates most of my income, so it's difficult for me to express how this makes me feel. I can't be "anti-Amazon", as they pay the checks, but I'm really kind of pissed about this. Goodreads has a very different feel to Amazon. Most Goodreads reviews don't appear on the Amazon site, but they have a huge impact on the success of a book.

What would worry me greatly would be to see the Goodreads reviews mothered into the Amazon reviews, in the same way they are now mothered into reviews at Kobo and Sony.

And Goodreads is a good place to hang out. It's a good place to find fans and interact with people. I really can't see this as a positive move from the perspective of an independent author.

Have you noticed that Amazon has started dropping previews of Kindle books and when you "Click to LOOK INSIDE" you get a larger version of the book cover? If the book has a paperback version you can switch to that to read the preview. Or you can click a button at the left of the preview windows to "Send sample now" -- click on Tood's title Subject 19 above and you can see an example of what I'm describing. Anyone have an idea about what and why Amazon is doing here?

Colin B)

Edited by colinian

The Kindle 'mechanism' seems to have been 'quirky' for more than a few days now - some comments filtering through from the Kindle Dashboard forums about bits dropping off, suddenly lost, variations on colour quality.  I'm in the process of trying to push an anthology with a dozen of us in it, but Amazon seem to be doing their best to mess us around.  I have no idea way they cannot set up a UK-based mirror operation - not only would it mean less hassle, it would also mean less diddling around with various other things like US non-resident tax at 30%...

Have you noticed that Amazon has started dropping previews of Kindle books and when you "Click to LOOK INSIDE" you get a larger version of the book cover? If the book has a paperback version you can switch to that to read the preview. Or you can click a button at the left of the preview windows to "Send sample now" -- click on Tood's title Subject 19 above and you can see an example of what I'm describing. Anyone have an idea about what and why Amazon is doing here?

Colin B)

I did get the book cover, but you can scroll down and read a fairly lengthy 13 pages of the book....

I did get the book cover, but you can scroll down and read a fairly lengthy 13 pages of the book....

I just went to Amazon and clicked on Subject 19 and the only things in the "Click to LOOK INSIDE" is the cover. There's no way to scroll down. When I click the button at the left labeled "Send sample now" the 13 page preview is downloaded to my Kindle app. I don't have time to screw around with sample downloads to decide if I want to buy a book. If there's a paperback I can select that and the "Click to LOOK INSIDE" has the sample, then reselect the Kindle version to buy the book. Amazon should make it as easy as possible to decide to buy a book, and the "Click to LOOK INSIDE" samples have been important for me and others I know who read using Kindles or Kindle apps.

Colin B)