Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime

The first 3 episodes went up on Prime on November 19.  The photography is superb.  The books are very long and filled with confusing details from different points of view.  The series is trying to show the complexity and at the same time trying to avoid some of the confusion.  The story talks about a confusing time with many different points of view.  I found the story more accessible so far and the strory does follow the gist of the story as I remember it.  Of course I read the first book about 30 years ago....and several of the others over the intervening years.  I have not read the ones done after Jordan's death. 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Ironically, Book 13 was when I lost interest in the series and there was only one more after that, LOL. Once he died I think that the writing wasn't the same TBH. I had all the books in hardcopy and a few years back thought I would read again, except every book you opened the pages had lost their glue from the binding and basically unreadable. I preordered a lot of them too :P 

I had the prequel as well as the book which had the history of Seanchan, as well as a glossary of every creature in picture and description as well. Not a book for reading right before bed :gikkle: 

I do have to agree with Myr about Josha Stradowski, but I do like him as the redhead that he is playing the series. New episodes release every Friday and they are currently filming Season 2. Locations I guess are in around Prague and the scenery in the background is amazing.

@Daddydavek, I think I read the first one, The Eye of the World, 30 years ago too! I had all episodes watched on Friday night 0:) 

Although rushed, but that is the nature of books to movies, I do think it is staying somewhat true to the book series.

• Like 5

I went back and read the beginning of the first book. If this series had begun with that, it would have snatched the viewer and set a better beginning for the series, I think.

Finishing up episode three tonight.

• Like 3

I read the first three of the Wheel of time series, then lost interest.  I tried to read book 4, but ended up giving it away.

I have read passages from the Sanderson books written after the death of Robert Jordan, and I have thought again about reading the series.  The series might be easier to follow than the books.  

I will watch this topic to see reactions of others before deciding whether to watch the series and/or starting the series again.  When I read it the first time, I was working 55+ hours a week at a quite physical job, and might have been too tired to properly appreciate it.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Well, I managed about 10 seconds, heard it was all men's fault and promptly removed it from my watch list. I have enough Karens to deal with without adding magic Karen to the list.  If you're into that, enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Site Administrator

Warning, Spoilers ahead.

If you read the books, there is different Ajahs of Aes Sedai. There is the Grays, Blues, Browns, White, Green, Yellow, Red and Black (unofficial ones who serve the Dark One). Only the Reds I think believe that all men are evil and must be captured and have the One Power stripped from them. If I remember correctly the story is more about Moraine Aes Sedai, a blue, who I believe want to find the Dragon Reborn and train him for the Light, so he doesn't fall into madness and serving the Dark Lord.

Not sure where you got to, but I'm guessing in episode 2.

The Reds are probably the next most prominent Ajah. They are, as in any story, a perfect opposite of the protagonists and greatly fit into the category of antagonists. In one of the upcoming episodes...

Spoiler

there is an issue with a false dragon and the Reds want to gentle him (burn out the ability to touch the One Power) right away, where as the other Ajahs want to take him to the White Tower to be properly judged and sentenced. 

I don't know how any story would work out with a protagonist. Especially fantasy. 

Since the story is about harnessing the One Power, both men and women, but more destructive to men as it usually turns them mad, it is perfectly normal to have the very few women who can harness the One Power to have different objectives and opinions. The Reds, if you want to rename them all Karen Sedai, that is your choice :gikkle: 

There is so much more to this story, series that is and was written years before I even heard of Karen or the current commentary of such. Actually the original book was written in 1984, long before any of the current issues popped up.

Spoiler

Oh, you might want to continue to watch to meant the Children of the Light. All men who hunt down and kill Aes Sedai. I think they first came in, in episode 2 though.

You will cringe, guaranteed in episode 5 :P 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Myr said:

Well, I managed about 10 seconds, heard it was all men's fault and promptly removed it from my watch list. I have enough Karens to deal with without adding magic Karen to the list.  If you're into that, enjoy.

Nynaeve id definitely a Karen. She about drove me crazy in the books. I swear she 'angrily' flipped, tossed, or shook her braid a thousand times in the books. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

Nynaeve id definitely a Karen. She about drove me crazy in the books. I swear she 'angrily' flipped, tossed, or shook her braid a thousand times in the books. :) 

thank you kindly for the warning :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 11/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, wildone said:

Ironically, Book 13 was when I lost interest in the series and there was only one more after that, LOL. Once he died I think that the writing wasn't the same TBH. I had all the books in hardcopy and a few years back thought I would read again, except every book you opened the pages had lost their glue from the binding and basically unreadable. I preordered a lot of them too :P 

I had the prequel as well as the book which had the history of Seanchan, as well as a glossary of every creature in picture and description as well. Not a book for reading right before bed :gikkle: 

I do have to agree with Myr about Josha Stradowski, but I do like him as the redhead that he is playing the series. New episodes release every Friday and they are currently filming Season 2. Locations I guess are in around Prague and the scenery in the background is amazing.

@Daddydavek, I think I read the first one, The Eye of the World, 30 years ago too! I had all episodes watched on Friday night 0:) 

Although rushed, but that is the nature of books to movies, I do think it is staying somewhat true to the book series.

I think I lost interest at around Book Ten. It had gotten so boring, and there were too many Aes Sedai to keep straight... and it seems most of them had names that started with an 'A'. I think Jordan must have been feeling poorly after book seven or so, because it became very tedious.

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 4

I've seen the first four episodes so far, and it's been long enough I can not worry how it compares to the books. I was impressed with how they handled the false dragon thread... that tells me the series might not be too bad. The introduction to the Children of the Light was done well too, I think. I am optimistically pessimistic, but I'm not kidding myself. This is going to be a hard story to cover.

• Like 5

I've watched all five episodes and found them visually stunning with dialogue that is less stilted than in the book.  I will definitely be watching the entire series.  And the guy playing Rand is eye candy.  Perrin is a bear!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Rand is eye candy

That Movie he is in as gay eye candy is also available on Amazon Prime. "Just Friends"

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Myr said:

That Movie he is in as gay eye candy is also available on Amazon Prime. "Just Friends"

I watched it after you posted the link to the trailer on here. I watched it on Tubi... and I enjoyed it. Definitely eye candy. :) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ron said:

I've watched all five available episodes and my fears have been somewhat eased for the series. My least favorite character is Matt at this point, which is contrary to my liking him well in the books. It might be the actor, I'm not sure, but he did end up being replaced for season two, although the reason for his leaving is left to speculation as there is no official reason given for the departure.

I can see @Myr point about the misandry in the series. More importantly, this very female centric story telling is going on in seemingly all storylines -- men are too often portrayed as the big bad wolf and woman are the heroes in about everything you can watch these days. It's tiresome! I can remember when the storytelling seemed more evenhanded before the nonviolent Me-Too pogrom began, some men were bad, and some were good and some women were good, and some were bad. The bad characters usually got the ending they deserved, whatever their sex -- most of the time. Bonnie and Clyde: Both bad, both dead just how it should be. :thumbup:

I did often overlook things in the books that a good friend detested. Nynaeve's braid events being one of them @Headstall, an occasional "not again" in my head got me through them. :lol:

Rand al Thor's character is so far neither here nor there for me persona-wise. And while I get the @Daddydavek bear reference concerning Perrin... That's man-wolf not bear-man, though both are furry so there’s that. :rolleyes: :lol: Of all the characters, I think Perrin is the saddest and deserving of pity.

I'm not liking Matt either. He doesn't seem as sneaky in the books... and while he's true to character as the caring brother, he looks like someone I wouldn't trust. Rand isn't connecting with me as much yet, but I think that will come. He's a little petulant so far over Egwene's decision, and I don't remember him being that way in the book. 

Poor Perrin. I think it's pretty good casting. :)  

• Like 4
On 12/4/2021 at 8:28 PM, Headstall said:

I can remember there being voting on the internet about who was the most disliked character in WoT, and Nynaeve was always in top three. She is utterly annoying. :puke: 

On 12/4/2021 at 8:30 PM, Headstall said:

I think I lost interest at around Book Ten. It had gotten so boring, 

Well, done, I gave up after book 6 or 7. The characters never matured and they were mostly driven by emotion, not intelligence or reason. Double :puke: 

But I'll probably give the Amazon series a chance, since most of the reviews here are positive.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Headstall said:

Rand isn't connecting with me as much yet, but I think that will come. He's a little petulant so far over Egwene's decision, and I don't remember him being that way in the book. 

I'm not sure which decision you're talking about, but I recall Rand agonzing over his relationship with Egwene for endless pages in all the books I read. Sooo booooring :yawn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I recall Rand agonizing over his relationship with Egwene for endless pages in all the books I read. Sooo booooring 

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall that Rand did this (agonize and worry) with all the women that were drawn to him through the endless books. Just another one of those things you must roll your eyes at, even if metaphorically done.

• Like 4
On 12/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, Myr said:

I watched this movie last night (for the second time). Even though I remembered parts of the movie from the first watch of it I stuck around and finished it because... well, it's a decent movie and Josha Stradowski is pleasant to look at, and I wouldn't kick Majd Mardo out of bed either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Site Administrator

So in Canada, we get the new episodes on Thursdays. I think Myr said he gets them on Fridays. 

This weeks is …

I don’t remember the books this way. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, wildone said:

I don’t remember the books this way. 

It was odd, not only because I feel the same way, but it was on Amazon last night and I watched it, too.

Even The Expanse was available to watch last night. I avoided watching that right away; I'm not eager to begin the end of a great series.

• Like 2

I  watched episode 6 early this morning and I agree the series is moving along a lot faster than the books, but that was to be expected.  The continuity is easier to follow without all the excruciating details of all the subterfuge and political manuvering in the White Tower.  Sihuan was much more complexly portrayed and constrained by politics in the book.  The other hands were barely mentioned or described. 

I'm still hooked and look forward to the next episode.

• Like 4