**WARNING: CHRYSTAL BALL HAS BEEN PRODUCED**

I wonder if perhaps the "certain things" Rory needed to do in Nevada was find closure on his mother? I mean, she died, and then he was shipped off to Arizona. Not much time to find closure on the death of one of the few people in his life who would have taken a bullet for him *the birthday thing*. Now that he has her voice (the cd's), their past (the feather), his family's past (the ring), and insight to her childhood and her life after she was told what her fate was (the wish list and diary, respectively), he has pretty much everything that he needs. It's possible he'll still want to reconnect with Nathan and Jason, but I doubt that even they would be enough to convince him to go back.

I too think Rory is now one big step closer to wanting/needing Eddie to be his dad.

Now I'm starting to accept more and more that Rory will end up with Seth. However, I don't think the point of the story is for him to find the "love of his life," so to speak. While he may find a good boyfriend in Seth, I think the point is Rory finding himself and family ... and even if he and Luke don't end up together romantically, I still think Luke will hold a much more important place in Rory's life and heart than Seth. So, in other words, the main point is not Rory's love life, but his family life and his own personal growth ... the "romantic stuff" is just a minor sub-plot. I think people (mistakenly, myself included) have tended to get so carried away with who Rory is going to end up with in the romantic sense, whereas that may not be where Dom is trying to go with this story.

Guest peter12

Hi, I'm new to Gay Authors as a member, but I've been watching for months. What brought me out of the woodworks so to speak is Dom's latest chapter. It seems that I'm not the only one either. I've read through countless "newbie" entries and am proud to place mine in the mix too.

As for discussion, I have to agree... I think this story is more about Rory's growth as a human being rather than as someone's BF. I mean, we see this idea in a lot of Dom's stories, but the romantic stuff (while incredibly -- and I mean incredibly -- tantalizing) is the main plot line and we learn how a couple is growing closer together. But in this, the idea is more personal, more singular.

God, I sound like I'm over-analyizing :blink: , but I think it's true. I applaud Dom for that wonderful masterpiece we call chapter 28 and I look forward to more...soon...please... :D

God, I sound like I'm over-analyizing :blink: , but I think it's true.

Oh believe me, you're over analyzing nothing. Not only do I agree with you but I'm sure most of the people on this board will agree with you too. The romance thing has been done, and is almost like beating a dead horse now. It seems that now Dom is bringing a whole new perspective to the genre. We normally see new romance, old romance, raunchy sex, coming out stories, yatta yatta yatta, but this is the first self-discovery story that I have come across and didn't quite realize it until chapter 28 (I blame it on the boyfriend wars that have been going on). If we're right about this, then I bet ya Dom has been laughing his pants off at our antics :sheep: .

Come to think of it, Dom has covered the three major genres so far. He covered romance in TLW, coming out in TOU, and now self-discovery in DD. Interesting...

If we're right about this, then I bet ya Dom has been laughing his pants off at our antics :sheep: .

Come to think of it, Dom has covered the three major genres so far. He covered romance in TLW, coming out in TOU, and now self-discovery in DD. Interesting...

I agree. I think the problem is that Dom does romance so well that I overlooked the other themes.

Is Dom laughing at us for our collective immaturity? Maybe. I'm actually feeling a little bit ashamed for being so silly.

Wynter

I agree. I think the problem is that Dom does romance so well that I overlooked the other themes.

Is Dom laughing at us for our collective immaturity? Maybe. I'm actually feeling a little bit ashamed for being so silly.

Wynter

I feel the same. One of the major overarching themes among the three works has been the complexity and variety of relationships between parents and children (and in particular, gay children). We have the physically abusive parents of Owen, Tony and Dennis; the emotionally abusive mothers of Aiden and Jude; Quinn's frosty control freak mom; and now Rory, whose parents have, in a sense, traded places between physical absence and presence in his life. Along the way, we've met a lot of "friends' parents" as well (Angie Sader, the Cheseleys, the Clairs) who have shown our sometimes suspicious protagonists that there are understanding parental souls out there.

I don't see the three stories as being fundamentally different in terms of theme (let alone genre) - they all deal with self-discovery, romance, and coming out. They are all bildungsromans (Google it :P ) I think that they differ in the degree to which they emphasize different sorts of friendships, families, psychological traumas, and the paths we take to find our different places in the world.

Edited by stonerboy
I don't see the three stories as being fundamentally different in terms of theme (let alone genre) - they all deal with self-discovery, romance, and coming out. They are all bildungsromans (Google it :P ) I think that they differ in the degree to which they emphasize different sorts of friendships, families, psychological traumas, and the paths we take to find our different places in the world.

:2thumbs::2thumbs: Agreed!!!

Wynter

IMO, nothing to be ashamed about Wynter!

While the focus of many threads has been on the silly aspects of the story or who Rory will hook up with, the craziness is really just a coping mechanism for many of us to get by between chapters.

Dom is a great writer. Fact. Each of the chapters is FILLED with detail that makes me sit in awe. I always feel like I am part of the scene

Actually I think Vic is on to something. Think about it, with the continuation of DD, our numbers have grown exponentially! Look back on past chapter threads and see how many people come in as first time posters! You'll see. I fully stand by the statement I made last year that Dom is evil and manipulative... but I'm game :D .

Guest peter12
I fully stand by the statement I made last year that Dom is evil and manipulative... but I'm game :D .

I completely 100% agree with that statement. I'm proud to be manipulated by Dom. ;)

Da*n..this chap is sooo unbelievably f. good that i read it OVER and OVER again on a daily basis right after i reached home from school.This has been going on for the past few days. And i just can't get tired of it..the worst part is, the more times i read it, the more i crave for it..and this is not a good thing at all since every time i read it, my eyes turned red and damp...

i got it real bad this time and its all your fault, Dom... :lmao: (just kidding)

Cheers

tarantio

In order to qualify for a genuine bildungsroman, DD would have to imply some quest for learning. But we haven't seen much of this, except perhaps for Rory's figuring out Eddie's phone system.

• Site Moderator

This story is fantastic. I've enjoyed reading all of Dom's work. This chapter was a real tear jerker for sure. One moment tears of joy, the next, sadness. Back and forth with the emotions.

I have to agree, the main issue is not who is who's bf, but life and how we deal with it. For Rory, it's finding the dad he didn't know he had and starting a relationship with him.

Talon

This story is fantastic. I've enjoyed reading all of Dom's work. This chapter was a real tear jerker for sure. One moment tears of joy, the next, sadness. Back and forth with the emotions.

I have to agree, the main issue is not who is who's bf, but life and how we deal with it. For Rory, it's finding the dad he didn't know he had and starting a relationship with him.

Talon

While I agree that the story is more than who's going to be Rory's bf in the end(Luke), I don't think you can say it's just about his relationship with his father. While this was needed to put Rory where he is, his relationship with his father seems to have been far too underepresented to be seen as the central aspect of the story. I think it a better case could be made for it being about his mother being the only thing in his life during her illness, and him now having to make a new life from scratch. But as the description on the main page says "Friends will be made and the meaning of family will be found as Rory discovers that everything isn't so bad in the desert."

In order to qualify for a genuine bildungsroman, DD would have to imply some quest for learning. But we haven't seen much of this, except perhaps for Rory's figuring out Eddie's phone system.

:lmao:

Okay, but Rory has learned more than that! He had to, because I want to kill him less...and less...and less.... :D

I disagree. I think that Rory has developed quite well. His experience with Aaron left him a lot less naive than he was at the start. He's learned a bit about other fun activities (wink wink nudge nudge) Not to mention the way his treatment and understanding of Eddie has improved. Now all I need is for him to realise that Luke is the one for him and I can die happy (not that i dislike Seth I just dont want Rory to end up with him).

Wynter

Guest peter12
I disagree. I think that Rory has developed quite well. His experience with Aaron left him a lot less naive than he was at the start. He's learned a bit about other fun activities (wink wink nudge nudge) Not to mention the way his treatment and understanding of Eddie has improved.

I agree with Wynter. Does the learning "quest" have to be conscious? Rory is doing all sorts of learning about who he is and how he doesn't care what other people think of him. I mean, he doesn't even care that everyone knows he's gay, wheras back "home" he isn't out to the whole community. But he is sort of doing this without knowing it. We find that he is surprising himself along the journey.

Also, he's learning about his mother (recall that he was mildly angry in early chapters that she "left" him), and his newly-found father and thinking of them as his parents. I've never experienced it before, but can anyone imagine having a particular image of your parent who you've never met or talked with, and then all of a sudden, after the other parent dies, you meet up with them through no work of your own? Talk about earth shattering! Anything after that couldn't help but be a learning quest.

There's more to Rory's learning experience than meets the eye. :blink:

- Peter