Whole Foods Employee Rips Company in Resignation Letter

This is a pretty long read, but still pretty damned funny.

Whole Foods Employee Hilariously Blasts Company In Resignation Letter

Delaware has been longing for a Whole Foods for a long time, but I'm now totally glad we don't have one yet. "A faux hippier Wal-Mart"...damn.

I think anyone who's ever worked a McJob in food would really get this. Retail is still pretty bad, but not quite as bad as the food industry.

Maybe it was funny, but too long for me to read!! :P

However, there's a Whole Foods opening near me soon, I'll go in and judge for myself (at least whatever I can from the surface). I've never really bought into the whole organic/whole marketing propaganda anyway. If they're a nice shop, with reasonable prices and the right ingredients I'll buy from them. I'm sure they're all destroying our environment anyway :)

I've only been in Whole Food once, and I all I remember is stacks of brownies, sushi and a ready to eat section. Basically, the key to me becoming lazy, not cooking, eating from there and getting fat!

Here's the deal......90% of whole foods shoppers are higher income "healthy" lifestyle folks - 50 year old moms who obviously work out and wear nike running shorts and baseball caps, young professionals getting groceries with their significant others after work, it's the exact opposite of what you would see at Walmart in every way possible.......ironically 90% of whole foods EMPLOYEES are tattooed, long haired, skinny jean wearing young adults who more often than not are visibly disgruntled and not-surprisingly will prolly talk trash about customers being "pretentious" just for shopping at whole food. "god everyone here are such conformist showoffs" "oh you buy groceries at whole foods? you must think you matter"

Everyone knows whole foods employees will never shop at whole foods....it's a lifestyle clash.

Edited by Y_B

I wonder how seriously Whole Foods took his letter?  He made a lot of good points, although some were a bit out there, so I wonder if they'll address the valid points or just ignore it all as the rantings of a disgruntled employee? 

It isn't just the retail store industry that has these sorts of issues.  Almost any corporate structure will have individuals who are disrespectful of their "subordinates" due to one issue or another. Sometimes it is simply because they are "subordinates".  The better informed corporations have policies in place to correct the unacceptable behaviors of the managerial staff, but unfortunately they are sometimes flawed in that the complaints need to make it across the perpetrators desk first before someone in a position to correct the situation is reached.

Looks to me like this particular employee may not have been what one would refer to as a model employee either!  Poor work ethic combined with poor managerial skills = poor overall performance of the entire establishment.

• Like 1

I would hesitate to make any inferences about Whole Foods from this poorly-written rant. It was childish and uninteresting. My little brother works at Whole Foods these days, and he has an entirely different story to tell. A story of geniune supervisor investment in the well-being of employees, a story of a store that rewards good workers and demonstrates loyalty to them, a story of a store that tries to live up to the corporate values that this clearly-butthurt former employee so viciously derides.

Anecdotal evidence can't tell you anything. Gonna believe this juvenile malcontent or my brother? I think the truth might not lie with either of those two testimonies. But what intrigues me most is the willingness or unwillingness of various readers to take at face value everything this ex-employee says. I think we can learn a lot more about the people responding than about Whole Foods from this original letter and the responses all over the Internet.

• Like 1

what intrigues me most is the willingness or unwillingness of various readers to take at face value everything this ex-employee says. I think we can learn a lot more about the people responding than about Whole Foods from this original letter and the responses all over the Internet.

Can only speak for myself.  It's not about  "the willingness ... to take at face value everything this ex-employee says" but rather recognition of the described behaviours :P

• Like 1

Eh...good to know I'm not the only one thinking that some things in that letter might be valid points while the rest are either not or are in fact the employee's own screw-ups. :P

I read the letter, and couldn't help but wonder if this person is really meant to be a good fit for any...job...anywhere. Like...in response to their calling the place a "faux hippy Wal-Mart", my response would probably be: "The 60s called...they want YOU back, honey." :P

I would hesitate to make any inferences about Whole Foods from this poorly-written rant. It was childish and uninteresting. My little brother works at Whole Foods these days, and he has an entirely different story to tell. A story of geniune supervisor investment in the well-being of employees, a story of a store that rewards good workers and demonstrates loyalty to them, a story of a store that tries to live up to the corporate values that this clearly-butthurt former employee so viciously derides.

Anecdotal evidence can't tell you anything. Gonna believe this juvenile malcontent or my brother? I think the truth might not lie with either of those two testimonies. But what intrigues me most is the willingness or unwillingness of various readers to take at face value everything this ex-employee says. I think we can learn a lot more about the people responding than about Whole Foods from this original letter and the responses all over the Internet.

Your brother works in a well run location, good for him!  That does not mean there cannot me major issues in other locations that are supposed to run the same way, but don't.

Did this employee go off the deep end with the rant? Sure he did, it was an emotional release brought on by what the employee obviously saw as extensive frustration. But for you to label the writer a juvenile malcontent based on your brothers experience is a tad unfair as well. I suppose you were born aged and mature and never let off steam and irritation in a less than appropriate manor?  I live by a rule when it comes to e-mails, personal or business. If I am irritated in any way I write it and save it in drafts. Then later or the next day, when frustration has subsided I review it before hitting send. Almost always the emotion filled original is rewritten to more appropriately express my opinions. I think had this employee done that it probably would not be attracting the attention it is now. It strikes me that the whole piece was an exercise in releasing frustration and should never have been sent.

That having been said, even being an emotional rant by a "juvenile malcontent" there has to be some seed of truth to some of the issues, and that should be looked into.

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 2

I live by a rule when it comes to e-mails, personal or business. If I am irritated in any way I write it and save it in drafts. Then later or the next day, when frustration has subsided I review it before hitting send. Almost always the emotion filled original is rewritten to more appropriately express my opinions.

Quality advice, Kitt  :2thumbs: