Remember Blockbuster: Well, it's just a memory now

W_L

Do people remember rental videos? Do people remember Blockbuster?

Those places are now defunct and with few exception nearly dead (All Except some adult stores :P )

I remember the empty shelves and long wait times for popular movies. I remember trying to get a copy of Terminator 2, but it was always out of stock at my local Blockbuster. When, I did get to rent a copy, it was ironically showing on USA Network.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/06/news/companies/blockbuster-stores-closing/

• Like 1

It's nearly as cheap now to buy a dvd as it is to rent something. And I like having a library of movies at the house. It's like having books. Being able to enjoy something you like on demand without going online. The nets are fun, but sometimes I gotta take a break.

• Like 1

I got rid of cable and got amazon prime and netflix. It's cheaper. 

And when rebox came out, I was like "BEGONE BLOCKBUSTER". It's sad that a business went out and employees are jobless, but blockbuster would charge me $6 per movie while redbox was a $1.50 per night. 

• Like 1

I got rid of cable and got amazon prime and netflix. It's cheaper. 

Getting rid of cable is becoming a popular move.  Hulu Plus and other services allow you to watch network TV programs over the internet and through a smart TV.  I enjoyed following the Boston Red Sox this past season through MLB.TV on both my home TVs and my tablet.

Amazon has a neat little book you may want to read:

51a8N9RgcwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Edited by MikeL

I may need to get that book. We're finding ourselves watching very little tv these days, but still need the online connection. I'm wondering if a Netflix or Hulu account would simply be better.

Time to look into it.

TV isn't just bad, it's horrible.

It's where writers that couldn't make the cut here at GA cut go to pawn off their crap.

I've stopped watching it except for sports and local news.

I'm wondering if a Netflix or Hulu account would simply be better.

One of our sons has an antenna in his attic on which he picks up 30+ local area stations including HDTV channels.  They also subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.  They are more than satisfied with the choices they have and probably save over $100 per month.

I used to rent a lot and Blockbuster was one of the places I rented from. Now like a few of you I use Netflix and a bit of Amazon Prime but I mostly buy the BluRay disc of the movies and older TV series. It's cheaper to buy a movie for two people and watch it at home than to watch it in the theater. It's a trade off for screen size but I can go to the bathroom anytime I want and not miss a thing. Additionally most movies include a digital copy nowadays so I can pretty much watch movies anywhere I want. I do occasionally buy or rent a movie or TV series from Apple iTunes as well.

It's curious that some have mentioned cutting cable TV. I attempted to do that this summer with Comcast Cable. Unfortunately, my internet cost would have increased. It seems that my internet comes at a subsidized price as long as I maintain the basic TV portion whether I use it or not.

Internet + Basic Cable TV (includes HDTV channels) = $60.00        Internet alone = $69.00

Once upon a time it was a rainy Halloween back in the nineties. I decided it was a blockbuster kind of night.

I went and was renting

I got to it just before a pair of hotties. Being a gentleman I invited them over to watch it. And we partied like it was 1999 and did things that would make the artist formerly know Prince blush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvdvoQgAy8

I may not remember their names, but I'll never forget the rash.  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a memory and good riddance.

I also agree with cutting TV.

My financial plan is to get a robust cell phone plan that includes unlimited tethering, and forgo buying cable or internet. 

I have to keep basic cable because I live in a rural area and need it for decent reception of even the area network affiliates. It also includes a couple of insidious shopping channels and both C-span channels, none of which I watch. I watch a total of 3 network series; I mostly keep it for PBS. The few other shows from cable that I like are ones I can get from Samsung's Media Hub. I can get an entire season of each of these shows for about $22 each and still be well below just one month's $108 cable bill I used to pay. I somewhat missed my old gigantic cable lineup for about a month and a half. Now, a year later, I have trouble remembering just what it was that I thought I missed. Good riddance to cable!

Edited by mickey1952