looking for help

rondoug1

i dont know if this is the right site, but i am trying to write about my ongoing fight with a company who fired me for being gay,  they seem to think it is alright to do this, and i am ready for federal court in june.  i am not an author, but trying.  i just need some advice and edoting help i suppose.  thanks.

• Site Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your problems :( I'm guessing that you're probably from the USA, but can you confirm that? There are members here with some legal training, though I don't think any would be prepared to give legal advice over the Internet.

Exactly what help are you looking for? Is it editing a legal submission? If it legal advice? It wasn't clear what you were asking for.

For the record, I won't be able to help you. I'm based in Australia with no legal training. I'm also not skilled as an editor :)

• Site Administrator

To me it sounds as if you are trying to write the story of your experience, not for any legal purposes, but as a piece of fiction. However, if you are pursuing a legal case, I would not recommend writing about it until after you have been through court and gotten a verdict and appeals are done, if they crop up as well. It could only complicate your case.

• Like 1

if you are pursuing a legal case, I would not recommend writing about it until after you have been through court and gotten a verdict and appeals are done, if they crop up as well. It could only complicate your case.

I'm guessing Cia means don't publish! :P Writing now is fine - in fact it's best to do it while you're experiencing something because all the details are still fresh and you'll capture stuff you'd maybe otherwise forget. A diary is a good way - actual dialogue, your emotions, anything. It needn't be structured - bullets, random thoughts, interesting facts, characters you encounter. This will all be excellent source material if you do later decide to work up a story around your experiences :)

If its editorial and beta reading support you are looking for may I suggest the Editors corner or contacting the writer support team? Joanne and LJH are excellent with matching people up with editors they can work with.

I have to second both Cia's and Zombie's comments - write everything you can down now while it is occurring, but delay publication till after everything is settled. The last thing you need is complications raised when some lawyer decides to try and use your own words against you.