Looking Ahead into 2024 for Gay Authors

4 hours ago, Myr said:

What do you want to see from Gay Authors over the next year?

I would like to see a library of books, completed stories (not short stories of one chapter) available for download in pdf.

• Like 3

@Daddydavek there are lots of available free books to download online from different sites like https://www.booksfree.org where authors give their work and this way of reading books has a lot of advantages.

1. The book is complete

2. You never lose your place with an ebook app

3. The author gets to see how many books have been downloaded, popularity, and some sites allow feedback

As for resources, that amounts to nothing more than all the space used by holding all the stories already here, maybe less if you zip up the ebooks, pdf

For me, downloading an ebook or pdf and putting it on the virtual bookshelf of my personal library is the equivalent of a real paperback. You can pick it up and read it anytime, anywhere, and share it. Of course, the writing online novels in progress is a whole other thing, but asked what I would like, it's books with covers, summaries and reviews to download.

• Like 1

It would probably be a big task but perhaps a bookmarking system, more or less aimed at stories with larger chapters. Although leaving the browser (window or tab) open can solve this, one could lose their place when reading. 

I'm unsure of the coding and technical aspect of how the software operates, and I'm certain it would be a daunting task to create. Perhaps imbedded within the mini-bar when a member highlights a word/passage and the "quote selection" button pops up when in forums/blogs/clubs. I'm imagining a second button for "bookmark" where when pressed, it creates an activity stream for "My Bookmarks". 

Unless I'm a dolt and this idea is already implemented, aside from following a story/saving it to one's browser favorites.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Myr said:

Gay Authors is an online story archive, not a bookstore. If you want bookstore, try Amazon.com..

Ha, ha! If you don't want to know what readers want... don't ask. I can be rude too!

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Just something to consider:

Trying to navigate ways to find stories.  an example is I've yet to find an easy location to find the Anthologies which have been submitted.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I guess the take away is if I'm struggling to find them, I'm sure others are too. 

Maybe, a timed posting that scrolls through for new things. An example would be any website that shows an image with a bunch of dots on the bottom, (I believe SteamPower gaming site is what I'm referencing.) and have it show new stories which can time out after a period of time or if the dropped from like the top 10 newest story posts.    

anyways, that's just a thought.  Prob a lot of work to make it work, but I can only suggest it. hope it helps. 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
5 hours ago, Bardeara said:

an example is I've yet to find an easy location to find the Anthologies which have been submitted. 

image.png

Just click "Categories" if you want to get to the anthologies specifically.  They are part of the main list as well. (see below)

image.png

5 hours ago, Bardeara said:

Maybe, a timed posting that scrolls through for new things. An example would be any website that shows an image with a bunch of dots on the bottom, (I believe SteamPower gaming site is what I'm referencing.) and have it show new stories which can time out after a period of time or if the dropped from like the top 10 newest story posts.

Not sure adding this again is needed as it is already on the both the forums and stories page...

image.png

Or the Latest Stories Activity Stream...

https://gayauthors.org/discover/6/?&

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Myr said:

image.png

Just click "Categories" if you want to get to the anthologies specifically.  They are part of the main list as well. (see below)

image.png

Not sure adding this again is needed as it is already on the both the forums and stories page...

image.png

Or the Latest Stories Activity Stream...

https://gayauthors.org/discover/6/?&

Thank you for the pictures... clearly I suck at finding ways to look things up. 

Might I suggest a FAQ for fools like me? :)

• Haha 5
On 7/31/2023 at 5:31 PM, Myr said:

As @Daddydavek was nice enough to mention, we've done that previously and there was less than minimal interest.  The ROI for this suggestion has already proven itself poor. We can't compete with the likes of Amazon and it is not our place to try.  If you wish eBooks, go get them from Amazon.

GA set up an entire e-book area, which was pretty cool.  I understand the ROI issue, but I'm also wondering if there isn't a way just to make a PDF or Epub file available without a lot of fanfare?  Maybe as an attachment to the existing story? 

• Like 2
On 7/30/2023 at 10:08 AM, Daddydavek said:

@Hero the site did that several years ago.  As I recall, it stopped as demand was so small that it could not be justified for the resources it took. Mark Arbour has some of his books in PDF format and may be able to provide them if requested in a PM.

I have all of my books in PDF format and I would be happy to provide them if I got a PM.  😀

You know me so well.  💕

• Like 2