Baseball v English football

Scotty,

I love most sports, including soccer/football. It took awhile to come around to football, but I respect it for a couple reasons. First, the average player looks like an average guy. No six foot six giants, three hundred pound tanks, etc. Second, these guys go and go... they're amazing! And as a person who detests commercial interruptions (American football's weakness), international football doesn't intrude every few minutes, unless I count the visual ads.

Baseball is another favorite. I love its old-fashioned charm. In other words, its slow pace. It's a game of endless statistics, which I enjoy. Like soccer/football, there are long periods without scores, but this can add real tension to a game.

On a politically incorrect level, I enjoy the sexiness of baseball players more. Love those beefy thighs and forearms, and now, all the beards! As a Red Sox fan, I see plenty of those. :boy: 

Final thought. There would be more American fans of international soccer if the U.S. was more competitive in the sport. Americans are used to winning, and make very poor losers. 

why aren't we comparing american football to non american football? it be a better comparison

or even compare it to hockey?

I wonder how rugby compares to everything else?

I think rugby n football is too much of a contact sport (great for gay guys lol wrestling is better contact sport)

NA-Football has too much tripping n knee kicking 

I remember watching the olympics, the korean were playing fair and the japs weren't

Today just somes up soccer for me spoit players running the team Manchester United have been crap all season thy get rid of a decent manager through player power and go and win it shows that soccer players are spoilt brats and don't deserve the money they get baseball for me over soccer any time but rugby union is the best

baseball players don't sweat it out like soccer players ... rugby looks like everyone on both teams flattens the guy on the bottom ... too many tops

unless all are tops n the guy on the bottom is sticking it to a mouse

why aren't we comparing american football to non american football? it be a better comparison

or even compare it to hockey?

I wonder how rugby compares to everything else?

American football v rugby, or baseball v cricket are good counterparts :)

Today just somes up soccer for me spoit players running the team Manchester United have been crap all season thy get rid of a decent manager through player power and go and win it shows that soccer players are spoilt brats and don't deserve the money they get baseball for me over soccer any time but rugby union is the best

Moyes had to go. Once intelligent, articulate and experienced guys like Michael Owen were saying this weeks ago it was clear the guy was toast :P

Edited by Zombie
  • 5 months later...

I know a lot of fellow Americans call these two sports boring but they are my two favorite sports. I guess some people have to have more commercials (adverts) than actual game time to enjoy the sport. I grew up with Baseball as my favorite sport. Supporting the Chicago Cubs as a kid (and still now to a degree) and later on the Texas Rangers.

Like most American soccer fans I didn't really get into "the beautiful game" until the last 4-5 years and now it is my absolute favorite sport. With more sports networks showing European football after the 2010 World Cup I instantly fell in love with the sport. A couple years ago I picked Tottenham Hotspur  as the club I would follow and support. I hope to one day see a match in north London. 

• 2 months later...

Spring Training Countdown

ball.png

People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do.
I stare out the window and wait for spring.
Rogers Hornsby

DAYS     70                         
HOURS          7    
MINUTES   21  
SECONDS    20      
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT 2/20/2015

- See more at: http://www.springtrainingcountdown.com/#sthash.BV79pmIb.dpuf

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm probably the only American here who is still living in the United States, but I loved to watch soccer, cricket, rugby union, rally racing, Australian Rules Football, and the other international sports I do, I watch it.

I am still a football fan (Packers) and a hockey fan (Les Habs!!! - Montreal Canadiens), but it is more interesting if you have that kind of opportunity to get to see what's out there instead of staying in the United States and watch boring sports like NASCAR anyway :P

• Like 1