Baseball v English football

Hi guys,

I know baseball is massive in america,so im betting on being out voted here but I feel nothing can beat an amazing game of football, not the american type where there knocked each other to the ground, the English game and probably the biggest sport in the world. im not gonna ask which you all think is the best becuse ill be out voted i just wanted to ask what you prefer.

Both are pretty boring sports, in my opinion. The only time I watch baseball is if Boston is playing in the World Series, or I go to watch a game live. Forget about watching it on TV. 

Soccer (sorry, I'll never call it football) is just as boring, but it can also be interesting because its foreign and their fans are certifiably insane. I occasionally watch Premiere League games when they are broadcast here in the States, and I'll be watching the World Cup this summer. My interest was only sparked in soccer when the Fenway Group bought Liverpool FC.

Remember too, baseball is big in the United States, but still pales in popularity to NCAA and NFL football. 

I prefer 'English football' (hereafter referred to as 'soccer'). I have a deep appreciation for the beauty of movement and athleticism, and some of the most profound examples of this have been in soccer.  Besides my beloved Olympique Lyonnais (whom I think play a beautiful brand of soccer), I have a great respect for any team that makes the sport sexy: Ajax in the 70s, Red Star Belgrade in the early 90s, and Nottingham Forest in the late 70s come to mind.

Aside from exhibiting the stunning potential of the human body, soccer (and likely sport, in general) displays a sort of simplistic morality that I find attractive...the principle of sticking up for your friends, and of valuing bravery and fair play.  After many years during which I saw and studied many things, what I know most surely about morality and the duty of man I owe to sport and learned playing soccer.

Limiting myself to the two choices that Scotty94 listed, I prefer soccer/football to baseball.  I also prefer college level athletics to professional sports.  I'd much rather watch college level baseball, American football, soccer/football, basketball, hockey to anything at the professional level.  My problem with baseball is that there isn't enough action.  It averages around 18 minutes of action for a baseball game and that is if you count each time the ball moves or a player moves.  The rest of it is just standing around.  At least in soccer/football you get to see constant movement by the players.

• Like 1

I´ve never seen a baseball game, so I don´t know if it´s interesting to watch or not. But I do love football...even if this season my team has made it very hard to like them. They´ve played a boring game and we´ve lost too many matches so there probably won´t be trophies this year. There´s still a tiny chance to win Champions League. 

I'm a baseball fan first.  Major League Baseball as played by my St. Louis Cardinals.  

I'm a football fan too and hate to watch my National Football League  St. Louis Rams lose 

I also like to watch my NCAA SEC Mizzou Tigers play and win!

I'm an occasional hockey fan too and love to watch my National Hockey League Blues win.

I'm a college basketball fan and love to watch my NCAA St. Louis Bilikens or Mizzou Tigers play.

It it came to a choice between the World Cup (football/soccer) and World Series (Baseball), I'd definitely choose baseball.  

GO CARDS!

• Like 1

Because of you and your CARDS I watched some baseball games, but of course my choice would always be football (soccer) and the World Cup over baseball. My local  team is abysmal, but we love them anyway. I don't take my nephews to the big games anymore, too many idiots around. Money and rabid fans have ruined that for us. We watch small local teams now.

• Like 1

Baseball is not a game you immediately get and understand or appreciate.  Growing up in a baseball culture or watching your kids graduate from t-ball to peewee baseball to little league etc gives you a whole new understanding of the dynamics of what it takes to make a major league baseball player and the dedication it takes to get and stay in shape and play over a long season year after year.  It take a mental toughness to stand in a small box and let someone through a hardball at you at a velocity of nearly 100 miles and hour.  Beating it with a bat and laying it down where it is hard to play or up over the infield but too far in for the outfield, or somewhere in the corner where the outfielders can't get it is their goal depending on their hitting style and ability.  The long ball out of the park takes just the right pitch,  hit at just the right millisecond in space with just the right amount of force against just the right part of the bat.  That's not something that you can learn except by doing and having exceptional hand and eye coordination.  

Soccer has been ruined by money . Players have no loyalty to the clubs or fans no respect for referees and thety dive all the time to get other players sent off apart from that it's alright . I prefer rugby union but money is gradgely ruining it as well at least the players still respect the referees . And we had one of the best six nations championships for a long time . I have been to watch the Blue Jays play baseball a few times and have enjoyed it but I think that comes form my love of cricket

• Like 1

I watched a lot of soccer/futbol while living on my boat in Sevilla.  I came back to reality tv and started going to High School soccer, hockey, and lacrosse games as a cheap fun way to spend a nite.  For me much more fun to watch than those sports I was always teased at when I tried to play(baseball and basketball).  Soccer is much more fun to watch for me although as a yank the low scores can be somehow frustrating.  Go figure. 

• Site Administrator

... and probably the biggest sport in the world.

Since I'm neither an English football or baseball fan, I'll just take issue with the comment quoted above. It'll depend on the interpretation of 'biggest', but I believe netball is actually the most widely played sport in the world :P

And, no, I'm not a fan of netball, either 0:)

I do like baseball, but I feel like football (soccer as some call it) is way bigger! I love the fans for football. But few things can beat going to the ballpark and having a great time. 

So my vote would be for football but my Saturdays would be spent in the ballpark.

• Site Administrator

Just did some searching, and yes, it is all relative to what the parameters are. For example, FIFA has admitted to overestimating, or just guessing at how many viewer are watching World Cup.

Here is some interesting things:

Independent estimates of the 2006 World Cup Final pegs 322 million viewers but up to 638 million watched part of the game.

The 2011 World Cup of Cricket Semi Final between India and Pakistan had 1 Billion viewers. More than the actual final :o

I know General Motors was going to drop their sponsorship of the SuperBowl due to the small amounts of viewers compared to the World Cup Soccer, around the world.

I have to mention that in the 2010 Gold Medal game in Olympic Hockey, over 1/2 the population of Canada watched the entire game. But more than 80% of all Canadians watch part of the game where Canada triumphed over the Americans :D

But to the original question, sorry, I don't watch Football (Soccer) or Baseball. Not enough action for my liking.

I never could get into soccer. It just seems too anti-climactic most of the time. They get all the way down towards the opponent's goal  and one good kick sends the ball all the way back. Or they get an off-sides call. Although the shots on goal can be entertaining... Baseball is just as stagnant at times and anti-climactic, but I do watch baseball. Maybe it's just what I grew up being a part of. Soccer is just now being coached in our grade schools where I grew up for shits and giggles.. they hardly ever have a team large enough to fill all the required positions. It's just not here and likely never will be and that's a shame. Probably why I'm not a fan of hockey either - there's no coverage or nothing here. Although I think there is a minor-league hockey team in Kentucky - possibly?

Baseball is the only professional sport I watch. I dislike the NBA and the NFL. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win."

- Gary Lineker -

And that´s exactly what happened again on Wednesday :/

Not always remember 1966 Edited by paul.b
  • Like 1

Limiting myself to the two choices that Scotty94 listed, I prefer soccer/football to baseball.  I also prefer college level athletics to professional sports.  I'd much rather watch college level baseball, American football, soccer/football, basketball, hockey to anything at the professional level.  My problem with baseball is that there isn't enough action.  It averages around 18 minutes of action for a baseball game and that is if you count each time the ball moves or a player moves.  The rest of it is just standing around.  At least in soccer/football you get to see constant movement by the players.

I'll bet you just love golf! Right, A.J.?

:P amused LBO

I like English football and I have never seen a baseball game :) But of course I support Cardinals, right DDK ??!! :D

You most certainly do not. You support the Reds! Don't let DDK corrupt you, there are just some things you cannot come back from and being a Cardinals fan is one of them. Dirty Cardinals. 

You most certainly do not. You support the Reds! Don't let DDK corrupt you, there are just some things you cannot come back from and being a Cardinals fan is one of them. Dirty Cardinals.

LOL :funny::gikkle:

maybe I should support the cubs sounds like a cute team.. Bear cubs ;)

Edited by slytherin