Ian Thorpe comes out as gay

Graeme

• Site Administrator

After years of denying it, apparently he's admitted being gay in an interview that's screening at the moment on Australian TV.

Ian Thorpe reportedly set to reveal homosexuality in tell-all interview with Sir Michael Parkinson

This guy's been harassed for years on the subject. If he's actually gay, I feel sorry for the way he's been hounded. If he's not, I feel sorry for the constant questioning that's going to continue.

Do I care if he's gay? Not really. I think it would be great as a major sporting role model, but I don't want him to come out because of that. I'm still waiting for the day when it doesn't matter.

512153-ian-thorpe-out-of-the-pool.jpg

A collection of media reports on the subject...all from before the interview with Ian Thorpe actually airs

Who cares is Ian Thorpe is gay? 15-year-old closeted me, that's who

Ian Thorpe's courage will inspire others, says Matthew Mitcham (Matt Mitcham was openly gay when he won a gold medal in diving at the Beijing Olympics)

Despite Ian Thorpe's announcement, 'poofter' remark from commentator shows how far we have to go

Ian Thorpe reveals he's gay

Ian Thorpe acknowledges he's gay, let's hope he's happy as well (this is the one I most agree with)

Some of those articles refer to another incident that happened this weekend:

AFL commentator Brian Taylor slammed for homophobic slur on Geelong's Harry Taylor

The juxtaposition of the two events is going to make Brian Taylor's mistake very long lasting....

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I heard a small extract of the interview on the radio this morning. Apparently he wants a long term boyfriend and to start a family :) I'm sure there will be a few people interested in the position... 0:)

After years of denying it, apparently he's admitted being gay in an interview that's screening at the moment on Australian TV.

presumably because because low-life, infantile - delete! that would be a slur on infants - Aussie "media" scum feel it is their duty to continually hound successful-but-single Aussie sports stars with sleazy, intrusive, inappropriate and - most importantly - irrelevant questions rather than behaving like decent, fully-formed adults and talking about his career success and career plans.

Interestingly, one of the top stories on the BBC on Saturday: why was this such big news in Australia? :/

Edited by Zombie

• Site Administrator

presumably because because low-life, infantile - delete! that would be a slur on infants - Aussie "media" scum feel it is their duty to continually hound successful-but-single Aussie sports stars with sleazy, intrusive, inappropriate and - most importantly - irrelevant questions rather than behaving like decent, fully-formed adults and talking about his career success and career plans.

Interestingly, one of the top stories on the BBC on Saturday: why was this such big news in Australia? :/

The rumours have been following him around for years. Pretty much all through his swimming career, in fact.

I was surprised that Sir Michael Parkinson asked the question, but in hindsight I'm guessing he was told he could ask it. Ian Thorpe's response shows that it was a question he was happy to answer. Indeed, it appeared he wanted to answer it. I think he made the decision to come out in that interview, and Sir Michael was informed accordingly. Despite that, the majority of the interview was on Ian Thorpe's battles with depression and mental illness in general.

As for why this is big news in Australia, Ian Thorpe is one of our greatest male athletes, ever. He's our most successful Olympian and our most successful swimmer. Swimming is a major sport in Australia, at least at the times of the Olympics and Commonwealth games, and it's a sport where we regularly do well on the world stage. There are other athletes that are arguably greater (Sir Donald Bradman being the main one to spring to mind), but in his field, he's easily the best Australia has seen. Worldwide, Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps would be the only two swimmers I'd rate above him, and it's arguable in the case of Mark Spitz as to which one was the greater swimmer, Ian or Mark.

• Like 1

I don't like all the criticism he's received from the gay community. People should come out when they are good and ready. We should want people to be happy with themselves. Giving them hell for "waiting so long" and "denying it so many times," just is an asshat move so shame on those people. The lives of others shouldn't be dictated by outsiders/outside commentary on their lives.

Edited by Krista
  • Like 4

The rumours have been following him around for years. Pretty much all through his swimming career, in fact.

I was surprised that Sir Michael Parkinson asked the question, but in hindsight I'm guessing he was told he could ask it. Ian Thorpe's response shows that it was a question he was happy to answer. Indeed, it appeared he wanted to answer it. I think he made the decision to come out in that interview, and Sir Michael was informed accordingly.

Parky's a pussycat :P There are no surprise questions - the whole show is scripted and rehearsed following extensive research beforehand. So, you're spot on about Thorpe wanting to "come out" on the show. Considering the "place he was in" it's an understandable choice.

As for why this is big news in Australia, Ian Thorpe is one of our greatest male athletes, ever. He's our most successful Olympian and our most successful swimmer. Swimming is a major sport in Australia, at least at the times of the Olympics and Commonwealth games, and it's a sport where we regularly do well on the world stage. There are other athletes that are arguably greater (Sir Donald Bradman being the main one to spring to mind), but in his field, he's easily the best Australia has seen. Worldwide, Mark Spitz and Michael Phelps would be the only two swimmers I'd rate above him, and it's arguable in the case of Mark Spitz as to which one was the greater swimmer, Ian or Mark.

Problem is those impressive achievements don't explain why his coming out "is big news in Australia". That's the story - hence the BBC news item :)

Edited by Zombie

• Site Administrator
Problem is those impressive achievements don't explain why his coming out "is big news in Australia". That's the story - hence the BBC news item :)

Think of it this way. Would it be "big news in the UK" if a former British PM came out as gay? Australia treats in major sporting heroes as huge celebrities. Anything to do with them is news here, and the bigger the sporting success, the bigger the news. Ian Thorpe is our most successful Olympian -- he's a major celebrity here.

• Like 1

Think of it this way. Would it be "big news in the UK" if a former British PM came out as gay? Australia treats in major sporting heroes as huge celebrities. Anything to do with them is news here, and the bigger the sporting success, the bigger the news. Ian Thorpe is our most successful Olympian -- he's a major celebrity here.

Obviously it's hypothetical, but I can't see it being "big news". Yes, there would be coverage, most likely for one day. People would go "Yeah? And?". The UK, like Australia, is also obsessed with celebrity, but take Tom Daley. He's as much a celebrity as he is a diver and when he came out... well, the reaction was pretty much as I've just outlined.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the quality media which is all terrestrial TV channels plus BBC radio (which dominates) plus the quality press. Then there's the tabloids, then there's the celeb magz. The tabloids covered Tom's story more prominently but it wasn't "big news".  I don't read the celeb stuff but, for them, it's "big news" when a Big Brother contestant has a dodgy bowel movement :lol:

• Site Administrator

The main coverage lasted a day, but it was covered by all news services as a major item. That, I think, qualifies as "big news". There's still news reports on the subject, like one I saw today about how Mark Spitz was speculating as to whether being gay had stopped Ian Thorpe from meeting his potential as it took his mind partially off his swimming, or whether he channelled his internal problems into his swimming and it made him better. Both are viable interpretations and only Ian Thorpe would know for sure, but I suspect that the struggles he had with his sexuality probably played a part in his early retirement from the sport.

• Like 2

It's definitely 'big news' for all the reasons Graeme has mentioned.

There are a number of other factors which, I think, make it big news as well.

First, it's another nail in the coffin of homophobia in Australia. (well, maybe a thumbtack, as the corpse in question refuses to be truly laid to rest) - lol, forgive the 'living dead' reference.

Second, it's come at a time when a politician is again proposing a Federal decision/vote on same sex marriage, and reinforces the broad acceptance by the general public for GLBTI issues in politicians' minds.

Also, it's big news because, as a number of commentators have affirmed, it will undoubtedly be a help to young people struggling with their identity, even to the extent of saving lives.

And, of course, it shouldn't be big news.

The tragedy is that it is. That's the 'big news' we need to think about.

Edited by Iarwain
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...