Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

Maybe I'm not as prone to tears as CG, but I really liked his suggestion (review chapter 10) for a rating at the beginning of every chapter for the amount of tissues needed. Even I need them now and then. ;)  

Oh, well now. Don't get your hopes up. I cannot give too much away before a reader 'steps' into my lair the chapter.  

I also have to be careful not to state expectations. A reader's reaction is a personal thing, and I do not want to interfere with that too much. 

• Like 3

From my ch 11 review: But that such sentimental pleading is necessary makes me feel :pinch: both on behalf of Dr. K and Linc. Let's hope it does the trick but somehow I doubt it. :no:

AC's reply; Although you lost me with 'sentimental pleading,' because I do not know how to apply the notion of 'overly emotional' to her words for calm and rational restraint from the media and special interest groups.

I guess we have different definitions of 'sentimental' ;)  But I admit it doesn't take much for me to cringe when it comes to expressing emotions, and to publicy declare their love in such a way is far over the limit for me. I understand why you wrote it, and I think it fits the story, but I hate the necessity for it and the content makes me uncomfortable.

If I had to write the statement, it would have been something like this: "I would like to ask the media and everyone else to mind their own business and stop hurting my son with their unjust accusations and lies about his boyfriend, and their even more ridiculous hate campaign against the doctor who is trying to save Jack's life."

And I'm sure it would have even less effect than what you wrote. :no:

• Like 2

From my ch 11 review: But that such sentimental pleading is necessary makes me feel :pinch: both on behalf of Dr. K and Linc. Let's hope it does the trick but somehow I doubt it. :no:

AC's reply; Although you lost me with 'sentimental pleading,' because I do not know how to apply the notion of 'overly emotional' to her words for calm and rational restraint from the media and special interest groups.

I guess we have different definitions of 'sentimental' ;)  But I admit it doesn't take much for me to cringe when it comes to expressing emotions, and to publicy declare their love in such a way is far over the limit for me. I understand why you wrote it, and I think it fits the story, but I hate the necessity for it and the content makes me uncomfortable.

If I had to write the statement, it would have been something like this: "I would like to ask the media and everyone else to mind their own business and stop hurting my son with their unjust accusations and lies about his boyfriend, and their even more ridiculous hate campaign against the doctor who is trying to save Jack's life."

And I'm sure it would have even less effect than what you wrote. :no:

hehe, sometimes I like to think about how Isa would handle these situations I put Mrs. S. through, and vice versa. I bet Jack's mom might have a choice word or two for Henry's stubborn bigotry. And I bet some sage counsel from Isabelle to Mrs. Shaw on what to do about Hamish and Christie would hit the spot.

How about you and I see if we can get them to have lunch sometime? Perhaps at Ida Davidsen's...? lol :yes:    

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

I ended my review of chapter 11 with:

"Jack and Linc were not the only ones left in the dark concerning the quotation of Autolycus by Dr Kimball. I didn't get the meaning in the original and so also miss why he quotes it. Enlightenment would be highly appreciated.",

and got the reply:

"... perhaps we can discus the quote in the forum."

So here is the quote used by Dr. Kimball from Shakespeare's Winter Tale:

"For the red blood reigns in the winter's pale."

The three lines of the song before the quote read:

"When daffodils begin to peer,

When heigh! The doxy over the dale,

Why, then comes in the sweet o'the year,"

So far my research didn't give me more than that the lines should mean (Dr. Samuel Johnson):

"Why then come in, or let us enjoy, pleasure, while the reason serves, before pale winter reins-in the red or youthful blood; as much as to say, let us enjoy life in youth before old age comes and freezes up the blood."

or that is should be read as: "For the red blood runs in the winter pale. That is, for the red blood runs pale in the winter."

or different yet: "For the red blood reigns o'er the winter's pale."

So, I'm still totally in the dark as to what Dr. Kimball meant with his quote. Any thoughts ? (besides that I'm being nerdy). :P 

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 1

I'm in the camp that says the doctor is musing on how strained even the hot blood of youth (via it's red color, which is technically correct, as red blood cells are the ones carrying oxygen to all the vital organs) can be sorely tested by the trials we face in winter. 

• Like 2

Ok, thanks to everyone who's left a review on chapter 12 so far.

Question - do I need to revise slightly to say that Jack and his siblings naturally had birthday celebrations, but not elaborate 'birthday parties'???

I did not mean to say that Mrs. Shaw is anything like that type of person; I'm just going off of personal experience where I had one 'birthday party' when I was 5, and every other birthday was marked at home by the family with cake, candles, and presents.

In Jack's circumstance, his parents undoubtedly held big parties for his older siblings at around the same age that Jack got his. As he's the youngest, there was no real need for Mrs. Shaw to organize more of them, but I would feel bad if readers interpreted Jack's words to Lincoln as 'I never got any birthdays,' which is totally inaccurate.

So, if that is the reading folks are getting, I will need to go into the chapter and make it clearer.

Please give me some feedback on this.      

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

"No, it's all right. After that, my mom never threw a birthday party for me or my siblings again. I guess… I guess she just couldn't."

This is what Jack tells Linc. I interpreted that (see review) meaning that there were no birthday celebrations at all after Jack's father died.

Such is based on my own experience, because in my country birthdays are not really a big deal and are usually just a small family affair, sometimes with the occasional friend visiting. The concept of having thrown a big party for you at reaching a certain age is unknown to me. "Sweet sixteen parties" I only know about through movies and TV and is regarded here as someting "they do overthere in the USA".

Jack and Linc live there, so if throwing an occasional big party is custom in the US I don't see the need for alterations. That is totally up to you. :)

• Like 1

In Sweden, we generally celebrate birthday rather quietly too, with family and friends. I however read those lines as AC apparently intended. That there were no big birthday bashes after their father died.

Having organised quite a few partied myself (with my hubby), I can relate to not having the energy to host them as a single parent. Especially with a sick child to care for. I guess it's another thing that was sacrificed due to all the sadness that this family had suffered.

• Like 2

Question - do I need to revise slightly to say that Jack and his siblings naturally had birthday celebrations, but not elaborate 'birthday parties'???

I did not mean to say that Mrs. Shaw is anything like that type of person; I'm just going off of personal experience where I had one 'birthday party' when I was 5, and every other birthday was marked at home by the family with cake, candles, and presents.

I read it the same way Puppilul did, but I can see now how it could be misunderstood. Perhaps adding a single sentence to Jack's explanation would prevent further misunderstandings. Not so much here, because you can explain in replies to reviews and in this forum, but if you get Dignity/Destiny published as an e-book or elsewhere, it's a point to make sure about. 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Thanks for all your input on the birthday party situation. I suppose I will revise and add a few words in blue to the chapter to clarify.

In the U.S., large birthday parties are a once, or perhaps, twice in a lifetime happening. Little kids can expect an 'event' with all their little friends at some point, and often girls also get a sweet 16 party. In Latino culture, ALL girls get that party, as it's an important rite of passage within their community. These parties can be at home, or in certain restaurants (like Chuck E. Cheese http://www.chuckecheese.com/), or even in a public park. My neighbors across the street is rather the exception. Grandparents, they host a kddie birthday bash once a year for their grandkids, and have an inflated bouncy castle installed in their driveway, on the sidewalk, and part-ways into the street! The laughter of childhood rings out for hours on that one day of summer it's up.  

As a rule, birthdays are small affairs at home with just the immediate family.

Thanks again.    

• Like 3

I think in a review you already gave away that we will hear about the Dawn and Jackson picknick.

I am looking forward to the results of the marrow match and suspect Hamish will be the only good match.

But maybe that is too early for the upcoming chapter.

As nothing bad will happen, Linc will not (yet) be taken away from Jack.

A blanc to the rest as far as I am concerned. :unsure:

• Like 2

Those were some good theories! I'm still hoping Christie will cave under mrs Shaw's displays of dislike and retract her statement. At the same time, I'm curious about Linc's backup plan. How will he turn this around for him to be a victim? Playing the poor run away card doesn't alter the fact that them having a sexual relationship is illegal. It might swing the people's opinion, but are US DA's so sensitive to that? Can they throw out a case based on that? As a lawyer I would find that very disturbing, even if it got Linc off the hook.

• Like 2

Well, we got some things sort of right!

Also, when you mentioned the 35-millimeter, for a second I went "He's got a gun...?" Ha, ha! That would be a different story.

...hmmm, maybe I should change this then, because I did the same thing in the final proof-reading....hmmmm...

• Like 1

While reading chapter 13 I noticed that in my last post I spelled the word "picnic" incorrectly. I blame it on reading too much Dickens ;)

The summer between my third and fourth year of high school, some of my classmates and I were part of an organized tour of Europe. Believe it or not, I actually remember stopping at a roadside rest-stop and seeing a sign that said "No Pic Nic Allowed."

In typical 17-year-old goofiness, I joked with my friend that "This Mr. Pic Nic is obviously not welcome here!"

You seem to tie that all together for me. How…? By making me think of Mr. Pickwick, of course!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

After reading the latest chapter, I have to say something and I hope you won't have a fit...

Ok, the sheriff was an asshat for the way he treated Linc, no question about that. However, he is investigating a serious alleged crime against a minor. In Sweden, their relationship would not be illegal, since Jack is 15. Age of consent is as I gather higher in many states in the US. This is to protect young people from being used and abused. In this case, we readers all know the nature of Jack's and Linc's relationship and are therefore angry at the law for tearing them apart. But what if Linc was 25? 45? Would we still see their love as something worth protecting? Probably not. So why is it ok to disregard the law here? And can we blame the police for enforcing laws that have been passed by people elected by the voters?

I would expect there to be some exception to the law, for instance when the persons involved are close in age as in this case. I don't know if this is the case in Ohio. If there isn't, maybe people should work on changing the law? If we start to pick and choose which laws we want to follow it's a dangerous path we take.

It was mentioned in the reviews something about inequity. If for some reason, same sex couples are judged more severly, than that is something that needs to be addressed. But I don't know if that's the case here.

Also, I find the moral outrage against their relationship kind of hard to believe. That may be due to my Swedish view on things. The press here would never write about a relationship between two guys close in age or find it news worthy.

• Like 4

A very interesting observation, Puppilull, and although I didn't have a fit, I like to react.

I'm afraid that what you experiencing is a cultural gap (the same as mine, by the way). The sheriff it there to uphold the law, but the display of power that goes along with it, is quite unnecessary. Linc is not armed and doesn't resist at all. Why then the handcuffs and the shoving around ? Isn't a person not guilty untill proven otherwise ? Cannot a suspect be treated with respect ? AC already mentioned it in his reaction to your review, that there seems to be a mindset in the police force of good guy-bad guys, which is supposed to be an extenuation of such behaviour. We have in recent years all seen where that leads to.

The law is to be applied by a court, not by policemen. They are merely there to see to it that a suspect will actually appear in that court. Then the court decides. Not us, not the police, not public opinion.

Like you, I don't know where the age-limit lies. Just laws will allow for discretion of the court to apply that limit differently in different cases. But not all laws are just.

Somewhere back in this forum I noted that there are very different opinions about age-related "crimes" in different times. Which by itself means that there is no universal law for it. And that must lead to the conclusion, that laws can be unjust. When you see the way most laws are made, I don't think you can defend that laws represent what the people want. It's politicians that make laws, so they represent what politicians want. In an ideal society the will of the people will reflect what's laid down in laws. But not a single society is ideal.

I feel the same way as you do about the outrage concerning the relationship between the boys, because I think Sweden and the Netherlands are not that different in that respect. But did you ever hear a pastor in Sweden preach hell and damnation against gay people from the pulpit ? I assume not. Neither have I in my country. Have you ever seen a child thrown out of the house by parents just because he/she told them being gay ? I have not. But you have only to read the many, many sad stories here on GA that show, that these things happen in other parts of the world. Outrage is fed, mostly by narrow minded and self-righteous people, helped by the media, who are less and less aware of their original function of gathering news, but are more and more led by sensationalism.

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 3

I hope you don't read my post as a defence for the sheriff's actions. He was, as I stated myself, way out of line and there is no excuse for that.

The question I wanted to discuss (perhaps all too clumsily put) was if Linc should have been arrested at all. Laws can indeed be flawed, but who has a right to decide that? If it's a law harming people, then yes civil disobedience sadly perhaps too often is needed. Here, it's a law set for the protection of young people. I tried to start a discussion on this particular law. There can be different views on when young people are deemed ready for a sexual relationship. Who gets to decide when?

I did not see this as a question of gay or straight, as I assumed that the law is gender neutral. Perhaps this was wrong if me and as you said a result of a cultural gap. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but find this a very interesting question. When is it OK to go against a law?

• Like 3