Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

Ah ha! Peter wins!!! I was wondering who would be the first to mention Linc's new predicament...

It seems now that he's outed as 17, he's in the same boat as Jack when it comes to getting permission and a court order to marry.  

Ever vigilant. :)

But with only three chapters to go I'm sure there will be a gracious solution for that problem.

as beta reader I had to stay :X  - but I don't think I thought of it when I first read this chapter... :unsure:

• Like 2

as beta reader I had to stay :X  - but I don't think I thought of it when I first read this chapter... :unsure:

I should have chapter 18 published in a few hours...I have to say, 18 is probably one of my favorites in the whole book....

• Like 1

Hello All!

Well, there are only two more chapters to go. I was updating the links to the recent chapters this morning, when I was struck by something once more.

Now that Linc has been through his extradition 'trial,' I suppose I can point out the epigraph to the book's readers again: 

“Innocence shall make

false accusations blush,

and tyranny tremble

at patience." 

The Winter's Tale, III, ii

Now we know what that is all about ;)

Everyone, thanks for reading. It's been a real pleasure to bring this work to you. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Everyone, thanks for reading. It's been a real pleasure to bring this work to you. 

Well, altogether there has been more pleasure than pain in reading Destiny - and the painful moments made me appreciate the beauty and the love and the victories even more. And Lincoln is still one of my favorite characters in your writings. :kiss:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Well, altogether there has been more pleasure than pain in reading Destiny - and the painful moments made me appreciate the beauty and the love and the victories even more. And Lincoln is still one of my favorite characters in your writings. :kiss:

Thanks, Tim. Your support - both technical and moral - has been my rock in getting this project as good as it can. Cheers, buddy :worship:

• Like 2

Well people, this is it. Decision time...the final chapter is going up shortly, and by the end of it, you will either love me or hate me! 

It's all down to "A Perfect Day"

Um, I like you. If we're voting. 

• Like 2

we all will. :yes:

And this made me laugh, Hunter. :lol:

Oh, and CG can cancel his bus-trip to SF. ;)

Wish i had likes ...  too much to like on GA!!! :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

I'll vote with you, Tim. :)

ok  but I'm tim... the older one.. is Tim  :heart:  :heart:

• Like 1

Lisa's review of chapter 16

I also had a moment where I thought L&J's parents were going to kidnap them and take them back home (with Dawn in tow! :P).

Thanks, Lisa! It's funny about the 'kidnapping' moment, as Tim protested strongly that Lincoln was too readily accepting of the ride. That was great feedback, as it made me dig deep psychologically and put myself in that backseat as Lincoln.

That's when the horror of being a little kid and being disrespected, and of how their dad frightened and made Jackson cry on the first day of school, all seemed so perfectly clear to me.

I always love feedback that pushes me and my work to be better and easier to digest. That's one the great aspects of our little GA community – the generosity of spirit where we all try and help each other out.

I just read the above reply to Lisa about the 'kidnapping' and I'm :blushing: with pride and joy over you stating that my early objection to Linc saying yes to the ride was helpful feedback and made you dig deeper into the situation.

I think the additions you made to the scene did a lot to make the whole thing believable: that Linc after facing and winning one momentous battle was ready to tackle another and perhaps even harder.

And I completely agree with you about the feedback aspect of GA - and you know your personal feedback as beta/editor of my stories have been invaluable. :worship:

• Like 2

One of the nice details in ch. 20 is the fact we get to see Mrs Shaw as having gained some perspective. At one point she says to Dawn: "Maybe as a mother I'm just too close to the problem to see the situation clearly." Now that is very true of the past as well and not just in relation to Hamish.

• Like 2

One of the nice details in ch. 20 is the fact we get to see Mrs Shaw as having gained some perspective. At one point she says to Dawn: "Maybe as a mother I'm just too close to the problem to see the situation clearly." Now that is very true of the past as well and not just in relation to Hamish.

Thanks, Tim. Sounds like you're warming to Mrs. Shaw...?

• Like 1

Weeell, perhaps just trying to see her good points. :unsure:

On a serious note, there is a reason I did not give her a name. Being told from the kids' POV, Mrs. Shaw is a bit of an outsider to them, even to her children. 

Thanks for your support and comments, dear Dane.

• Like 2

Same feeling here. Also that these threads, after having served their purpose, die out like a nightcandle.

They should end with champagne and fireworks to celebrate the author and the readers reached their destination together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHznE5iM0Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip619LJMDo

Thanks, Peter, for the spray of bubbly and fire! That's awesome

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In terms of Gay people and the courts, Quentin Crisp writes eloquently about a time when the entire system smugly discriminated against us based nothing more than who 'it' perceived we were. This is an authentic voice from one of the survivors of this randomly hateful period.

"The attitude of the law was arbitrary – bordering on slapdash. Boys arrested for soliciting were found guilty before they had spoken. If they did get a chance to say anything, the sound of their voices only caused the presiding magistrate to increase their sentences. I think the boys were right in assuming they were being condemned for effeminacy. They also put forward the argument that they went on the streets because they were poor and that they were poor because they were sacked from jobs if their employers discovered them to be queer."[1]

Hopefully, things have changed (?)

[1] From Chapter 3, The Naked Civil Servant; New York 1983 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2