2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

The Star Trek Syndrome

Riley Jericho

I was reading the tread about astronomer's finding a new rock, and it reminded me about what I call The Star Trek Syndrome.

First off, let it be duly noted, I'm a fan and get numerous Star Trek posts to my personal FB page. I'm a Trekkie and proud of it - though that said, I don't think I'd ever resort to bring geeky enough to go to a 'convention'!

Anyway, my point - and, yes I have one - is that the Star Trek Syndrome has conditioned us to believe that everything we have learned about the future through endless Hollywood Sci-Fi is an inevitability waiting to happen: the breaking of that final frontier, space. We live in the present, assuming the future will play out like another episode with Picard or, heaven forbid as it's totally awful, Captain Janeway, or a whole host of other futuristic visions. It's only a matter of time our heads tell us...

In fact, it might just as well be nothing more than TV...
  • Like 1

Personally, I believe it's the height of human arrogance to believe that Earth is the only planet the contains intelligent life.  Of course, if we are, that would make us the most intelligent species in the Universe, so why wouldn't they want to cling to that idea?  It's merely an extension of the same arrogance that leads some to believe that their race, gender, religion or whatever else is superior to all others.  I think they have taken Shakespeare's quote too literally.  

Hamlet: Act 2, Scene 2:  "What a piece of work is man!  How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty!  In form and moving how express and admirable!  In action how like an angel!  In apprehension how like a god!  The beauty of the world!  The paragon of animals!" 

Personally, I believe it's the height of human arrogance to believe that Earth is the only planet the contains intelligent life.  Of course, if we are, that would make us the most intelligent species in the Universe, so why wouldn't they want to cling to that idea?  It's merely an extension of the same arrogance that leads some to believe that their race, gender, religion or whatever else is superior to all others.  I think they have taken Shakespeare's quote too literally.  

Hamlet: Act 2, Scene 2:  "What a piece of work is man!  How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty!  In form and moving how express and admirable!  In action how like an angel!  In apprehension how like a god!  The beauty of the world!  The paragon of animals!"

Old Bill certainly came up with one of the most scathing rebukes against humankind :P

But we've been looking, now, for over 50 years and not a squeak. Well, apart from the "Wow!" signal in 1977.

Maybe the Russian billionaire Yuri Milner's $100m project will find something. He's got all the key guys on board, including Stephen Hawking, Martin Reece and Frank Drake - the guy who came up with the equation to calculate the possibility that there might be some intelligent life in our universe... :lol:

Old Bill certainly came up with one of the most scathing rebukes against humankind :P

But we've been looking, now, for over 50 years and not a squeak. Well, apart from the "Wow!" signal in 1977.

Maybe the Russian billionaire Yuri Milner's $100m project will find something. He's got all the key guys on board, including Stephen Hawking, Martin Reece and Frank Drake - the guy who came up with the equation to calculate the possibility that there might be some intelligent life in our universe... :lol:

Let me just state a couple of things in response to Zombie.  First, how long were explorers wandering through the jungles of South American and Africa, but yet throughout the 20th century aboriginal tribes were being discovered that had no previous exposure to civilization.  How long have we been exploring the oceans, yet animal species of all types are still being discovered.  Since the galaxy is so large and the universe infinite, are you telling me that you can't foresee how we might have missed discovering another intelligent species somewhere in the vast unknown?  

On a galactic scale 50 years is nothing, especially over galactic distances.  In addition, life on earth is very diverse and is likely more so on a galactic super cluster scale so our little radio waves and pings may peg us as little more than semi-intelligent in comparison.   (Just a thought...) 

• Like 2

Let me just state a couple of things in response to Zombie.  First, how long were explorers wandering through the jungles of South American and Africa, but yet throughout the 20th century aboriginal tribes were being discovered that had no previous exposure to civilization.  How long have we been exploring the oceans, yet animal species of all types are still being discovered.  Since the galaxy is so large and the universe infinite, are you telling me that you can't foresee how we might have missed discovering another intelligent species somewhere in the vast unknown?  

*note to self - avoid gentle humour...*

I think what I was trying to say was not to fathom the likelihood of whether we are alone in the universe, either because of a one-off quirk or intelligent design (which, depending on your beliefs, and both valid). Instead, I was reflecting that we often imagine a future prepared for us by fictional authors, and we think we'll eventually get there.

That belief negates any concern that we might catastrophically blow ourselves and our world to smithereens, because we've seen the future and we already know that we make it....right? Of course we do...it's on TV!
  • Like 2

That belief negates any concern that we might catastrophically blow ourselves and our world to smithereens, because we've seen the future and we already know that we make it....right? Of course we do...it's on TV!

Take comfort where you can.  Between the not so slow motion crisis of global warming and the genuine increase in terrorism around the globe, I am not so sure that our future is assured.  Just being real....

• Like 1

• Site Moderator

I think what I was trying to say was not to fathom the likelihood of whether we are alone in the universe, either because of a one-off quirk or intelligent design (which, depending on your beliefs, and both valid). Instead, I was reflecting that we often imagine a future prepared for us by fictional authors, and we think we'll eventually get there.

Take comfort where you can.  Between the not so slow motion crisis of global warming and the genuine increase in terrorism around the globe, I am not so sure that our future is assured.  Just being real...

Daddy D, I wish I could say you're wrong, but your point unfortunately, has merit. I think I'm going to get me some rose-coloured glasses.

• Like 1

I hear a lot about climate change, and the "authorities" who claim we are causing global warming it's another reason not to trust them, because there is no solid evidence to support it.  For a quick reference, here's a page that offers some truths to think about. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/146138/100-reasons-why-climate-change-is-natural

Here's someone with as much authority as anyone who disagrees:

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/25/gitmo-detainee-who-wrote-book-on-innocence-arrested-for-al-qaida-recruitment/

Now, having disposed of another tired hack, let's get back to the real task at hand!

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but the references you've cited hardly indicate an informed opinion never mind the "dispos(al) of another tired hack".

If you believe all this stuff then you should put it in a blog and allow it to be tested by others - show the courage of your convictions - instead of sneaking it in here where no-one can reply.

It is interesting to note, that if you place the Earth's entire history in a twenty-four hour time period, human history will only account for the last two minutes.

Time_Clock.gif?fit=620%2C9999

The point is, On this scale, within those last two minutes, our species have profoundly changed our world: from irrigating farmlands to lighting up the night sky :) We will continue to leave our mark on the world: both the good and the bad.

Edited by Drew Espinosa

Global warming is a natural occurence and isn't something new for this planet.  There is a lot of info available if your willing to go look with an open mind.  Of course, I'm sure that, in your view, anything I suggest is automatically subject to some kind of criticism.  I don't really care as my intent was really to get others to question all the hype over climate change.  If you don't like how I do it that's fine, it doesn't change me in any way.

Yes, global warming is to some extent a natural occurrence and we know it is caused by a build-up of CO2 in the atmosphere.  Even if it is a natural occurring event, the fact that humans are adding an increased amount of CO2 is just speeding up and aggravating an already tenable situation and making things worse.  Why is that so hard to understand and accept?  Are you willing to risk the future of the planet by playing ostrich and burying your head in the sand? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously? What's with all the self-censorship in this thread? If you're going to deny something like humanity's responsibility for climate change when thousands of people who know a lot more than you have piles of evidence to support it, at least stick by your conviction.

I, for one, am glad that Star Trek offers a uniquely hopeful vision of the future of the human race. What other popular science fiction work shows us overcoming our differences and petty grievances and uniting to work for a still-better tomorrow?

• Like 4

Seriously? What's with all the self-censorship in this thread? If you're going to deny something like humanity's responsibility for climate change when thousands of people who know a lot more than you have piles of evidence to support it, at least stick by your conviction.

I, for one, am glad that Star Trek offers a uniquely hopeful vision of the future of the human race. What other popular science fiction work shows us overcoming our differences and petty grievances and uniting to work for a still-better tomorrow?

:yes::worship:  :yes:

Well said, Cub!

I find cynics are often the biggest impediment to advancement. By denying the possibilties all they do is keep humanity mired in muck.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace!

JL

• Like 1

there is a very good reason for the self-censorship....especially in the reference of Climate change...remember politics are not allowed in the Forums...

Because the conversation was treading on the "no-politics" line, hence Zombie's response below:

If you believe all this stuff then you should put it in a blog and allow it to be tested by others - show the courage of your convictions - instead of sneaking it in here where no-one can reply.

the Blogs are the only place where politics or issues related to it can be discussed :)