2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Your Scariest Word: Taken To The Next Level ?

Riley Jericho

• Site Administrator

I hate the word 'But', it seems like it just confirms that what is before it is not the truth in a lot of cases:

I'm not a racist but I don't like green people

I like you but I'm having trouble connecting with you

What a great story but what was with the main character

You're a great kid but you act immature.

• Like 3

• Site Moderator

I hate the word 'But', it seems like it just confirms that what is before it is not the truth in a lot of cases:

I'm not a racist but I don't like green people

I like you but I'm having trouble connecting with you

What a great story but what was with the main character

You're a great kid but you act immature.

Out of likes, but   :heart:  :heart:  :heart: your post.  :yes:

Edited by Reader1810

Oops. Windows has encountered an error and must restart (when doing a term paper and forgetting to save because you were on a roll)

Thanks for this. I have a nasty track record of forgetting to save, and this just reminded me that I'd written 1500 words and hadn't saved yet. :)

My scariest word is actually the absence of them. The pause on the other end of the line, the lack of an email from someone you've been corresponding with regularly, or a person you care about walking away from you without answering an important question.

Or the emptiness of the answering machine tone when you call someone who is no longer with you.

• Like 3

This topic sparked a new story for me. I was so driven to write it that I was able to post the first short chapter last night.

Thanks for asking the question.

Thanks for this. I have a nasty track record of forgetting to save, and this just reminded me that I'd written 1500 words and hadn't saved yet. :)

No problem. The save button is your friend ;)

• Like 1

From a four year old grandson:  "I'm sorry..."

Most recently it was a table lamp he broke when the pillow he threw missed his brother.

well at least it wasn't a lapttop he threw out a window....

My sister's name. 

When it shows up on my caller id during working  hours I have an anxiety attack. She never calls me at work unless someone is seriously ill, attempted suicide or is dead or dieing. Outside of business hours it's still scary, just not as bad.

My Husbear's Sister's Name on Anything!  :P

certainty- Now here's a super loaded word. The dictionary defines it as the state of being certain or something that is certain.

It is really the way to go wrong with confidence!

certainty-Now here's a super loaded word. The dictionary defines it as the state of being certain or something that is certain.

It is really the way to go wrong with confidence!

Certainly is!

Okay, let's take this a step further.

If you had to take your scary word/phrase and incorporate that into the first sentence of the opening para of a gripping story, what would that look like? The equivalent of, 'It was a dark and stormy night', but with a bit more GA to it!

Still thinking about it myself. Will post something shortly.

Riley

“You wouldn’t understand . . .”

His words hung in the air and left us with a terrible silence. I knew this was the end of the conversation, and that was what scared me the most. Once again our conflict would go unresolved, unless I found some way to break through the wall he had thrown up between us and entice him to speak again. But I was certain that I would fail again as surely as I had every time before. I was losing my son, and I feared it was only a matter of time before he stopped speaking to me altogether.

Edited by Cynus
  • Like 3

“Dad?”

I studied my son, David, as I stepped into the lounge. He was sitting crosslegged on the floor, backed up against the sofa. “What?”

“Are you gay?” The voice was hesitant, and he looked rattled. My eyes shot to the iPad he was holding. My iPad. Oh my God…

Milliseconds felt like hours under his scrutiny as I tried to remember if I’d shut down my private browser when I’d gone for a pee. The moments extended as I tried to find the right things to say; anything that would sound laughable and nonchalant.

“For heavens sake, David,” I finally muttered. It sounded dry and overly tense. “Of course I’m not!”

Just then, my son turned the iPad around and I paled at what was on the screen. Under his curly mop of hair, his eyes looked panicky, confused, scared even. He was only thirteen - old enough to understand, but far too young to make any sense of it.

At that moment, everything changed.

• Like 3

“Dad?”

I studied my son, David, as I stepped into the lounge. He was sitting crosslegged on the floor, backed up against the sofa. “What?”

“Are you gay?” The voice was hesitant, and he looked rattled. My eyes shot to the iPad he was holding. My iPad. Oh my God…

Milliseconds felt like hours under his scrutiny as I tried to remember if I’d shut down my private browser when I’d gone for a pee. The moments extended as I tried to find the right things to say; anything that would sound laughable and nonchalant.

“For heavens sake, David,” I finally muttered. It sounded dry and overly tense. “Of course I’m not!”

Just then, my son turned the iPad around and I paled at what was on the screen. Under his curly mop of hair, his eyes looked panicky, confused, scared even. He was only thirteen - old enough to understand, but far too young to make any sense of it.

At that moment, everything changed.

“You wouldn’t understand . . .”

His words hung in the air and left us with a terrible silence. I knew this was the end of the conversation, and that was what scared me the most. Once again our conflict would go unresolved, unless I found some way to break through the wall he had thrown up between us and entice him to speak again. But I was certain that I would fail again as surely as I had every time before. I was losing my son, and I feared it was only a matter of time before he stopped speaking to me altogether.

These would make wonderful prompt stories :)

• Like 1