Windows 10 Anyone?

Ditto with what JamesSavik said about waiting. I have 1 computer running Windows 7 (my gaming rig) and will probably update to Windows 10 once all the kinks are worked out. Meanwhile my laptop is running 10 and honestly I'm not overly thrilled with the finished product (I've been beta testing it since February this year). There are still a lot of glitches I encountered during beta testing that don't seem to have been resolved in the release, nothing major mind you just minor annoyances here and there, and the only reason I would upgrade is because of the DirectX 12 that's being released on the Windows 10 platform (DirectX = better gaming at times).

Still I could go on and on about it but let's just say for the common user there is no issues or anything to be worried about. In fact some people might relish the return of the start menu, no matter how badly butchered it looks...

Thanks Phantom, this has actually swayed my decision :)

• Like 2

for all that i've said, if i had the disk space i'd totally up to Windows 10, heck i'd do it on my desktop, if it'd a. Turn on, and B. they wouldn't let me, it's an Old Vista... so yeah... lol.

Edited by Celethiel
  • Like 1

Yesterday I started a new chapter and while I was taking a break after a couple of pages my computer f-ing shut down on its own to install an update. When it had rebooted all I had written was just gone. And I checked, the shuting down on its own is the default setting when you install Windows 10 and updates are mandatory now. So if you're using Windows 10 I suggest that you change this setting right away so something like this doesn't happen to you.

I'm still using Word 2007 and it was supposed to auto-save every 10 minutes, but I'm guessing Windows 10 doesn't supports that version anymore and that's why that didn't work.

And I'm not very happy with Windows 10 in general, because most of the new features I'll never use anyway and some of them are just annoying. It also crashed on me last week and I lost some unsaved data. So even though I really didn't like Windows 8(.1), compared to 10 I guess it's the lesser "evil", at least right now.

• Like 4

Yesterday I started a new chapter and while I was taking a break after a couple of pages my computer f-ing shut down on its own to install an update. When it had rebooted all I had written was just gone. And I checked, the shuting down on its own is the default setting when you install Windows 10 and updates are mandatory now. So if you're using Windows 10 I suggest that you change this setting right away so something like this doesn't happen to you.

I'm still using Word 2007 and it was supposed to auto-save every 10 minutes, but I'm guessing Windows 10 doesn't supports that version anymore and that's why that didn't work.

And I'm not very happy with Windows 10 in general, because most of the new features I'll never use anyway and some of them are just annoying. It also crashed on me last week and I lost some unsaved data. So even though I really didn't like Windows 8(.1), compared to 10 I guess it's the lesser "evil", at least right now.

Thanks, David... upon reading this, I went and changed it to 'notify and schedule updates' ,,, I appreciate the heads up... Gary

• Like 1

So if you're using Windows 10 I suggest that you change this setting right away so something like this doesn't happen to you.

Thanks, David... upon reading this, I went and changed it to 'notify and schedule updates' ,,, I appreciate the heads up... Gary

What Gary said :yes:

Thanks, David.  I had a little scare this morning when I fired up my desktop.  It had updated and generated an error message, none of which I expected and not a big deal, fortunately.  I made the change you suggested.  I like being in charge.  :P

One more thing, for those who are curious about Windows 10... It is wickedly fast... I did turn off some of the apps that run in the background(actually most of them)... I don't think I'd go back to Windows seven, for that reason alone...

• Like 1

I want my laptop to require my password after sleeping. Does anyone know how to do this?? I'm tech challenged :huh:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

Password protection on wake-up: Require a Password / Don't Require a Password

• Like 5

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

Password protection on wake-up: Require a Password / Don't Require a Password

Thanks, blake. I just finished figuring it out, with my son's help... he told me to go to control panel, and I figured it out from there... very proud of myself... thanks for responding... Gary

• Like 1

Remember this one thing that all IT professionals know... anytime there is a massive upgrade of a system, there's something that will always go wrong no matter what. In this case Windows 10 has put security above everything else and sadly it can lead to issues like DavidAB had.

The one thing I recomend to both my friends and students is that when you upgrade your operating system (no matter if it's OSX, Windows, Linux, etc.) take time to read the literature about it, research what people are saying about it on the web and never take one person's word that 'it works wonders' as the go ahead to upgrade.

In the professional IT world, there's a lot and I mean A LOT of testing that goes into seeing if programs are compatible, how the end-user adapts to it, etc. and that takes a year or so after the initial release of said system before it goes live in the business. So a private individual like us has to do our own research, testing if we know how and above all read reviews that normal everyday people write and take the articles written by publications with a grain of salt.

Eric :)

• Like 5

Remember this one thing that all IT professionals know... anytime there is a massive upgrade of a system, there's something that will always go wrong no matter what. In this case Windows 10 has put security above everything else and sadly it can lead to issues like DavidAB had.

The one thing I recomend to both my friends and students is that when you upgrade your operating system (no matter if it's OSX, Windows, Linux, etc.) take time to read the literature about it, research what people are saying about it on the web and never take one person's word that 'it works wonders' as the go ahead to upgrade.

In the professional IT world, there's a lot and I mean A LOT of testing that goes into seeing if programs are compatible, how the end-user adapts to it, etc. and that takes a year or so after the initial release of said system before it goes live in the business. So a private individual like us has to do our own research, testing if we know how and above all read reviews that normal everyday people write and take the articles written by publications with a grain of salt.

Eric :)

AMEN!

• Like 2

I'm not impressed with 10 or Microsoft.  Suggesting that hardware manufacturers should make their products compatible with Windows 10 is enough to make me say no thanks, I'll go for something else whenever I think I need to change my OS.

Microsoft sucks, just like it always has.

• Like 1

Someone just pointed out to me that when you install Windows 10 an option is enabled by default that allows Windows to upload parts of updates from your computer for other users to download. I suggest you disable that.

• Like 2

Someone just pointed out to me that when you install Windows 10 an option is enabled by default that allows Windows to upload parts of updates from your computer for other users to download. I suggest you disable that.

Its similar to using a torrent in that instead of using one source and having a slow bottleneck end connection, this option allows for Microsoft by way of Windows 10 to gather pieces of updates from everyone and speed up the update process. I'm a little on the fence with this option myself but I can see more pros than cons to this. That said though, security conscious people might disable it in case there's an exploit that can be used.

• Like 2

Its similar to using a torrent in that instead of using one source and having a slow bottleneck end connection, this option allows for Microsoft by way of Windows 10 to gather pieces of updates from everyone and speed up the update process. I'm a little on the fence with this option myself but I can see more pros than cons to this. That said though, security conscious people might disable it in case there's an exploit that can be used.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what to do here... I can't see sharing updates as necessarily being a problem... It may make it more efficient for all of us... tough call... Windows appears to have access to so much, that I'm not sure stemming the tide is possible. On another note... other than my Bit defender Total security getting wiped out, I'm having no issues with Windows 10... Did I just jinx myself? :huh:

• Like 3

Aside from possible risks, it slows down your internet connection and that alone is reason enough for me to disable it. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't speed up the update process only if you enable that option, and even if that were the case, there are not that many updates and they're usually small and only take a few minutes to download anyway and it's all happening in the backround, so speeding that up a little bit just doesn't seem like a real "pro" to me, especially not one that's worth sharing your bandwidth for. And what other "pros" are there, really, because I see none, except maybe that you can tell yourself that you're a nice person for doing it ;-)

• Like 2

I'm not impressed with 10 or Microsoft.  Suggesting that hardware manufacturers should make their products compatible with Windows 10 is enough to make me say no thanks, I'll go for something else whenever I think I need to change my OS.

Microsoft sucks, just like it always has.

microsoft is an egomanical bastard and we all know it... especially after the monopoly trials... that seemed to have gotten pushed under the rug somehow. :P

• Like 2

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what to do here... I can't see sharing updates as necessarily being a problem... It may make it more efficient for all of us... tough call... Windows appears to have access to so much, that I'm not sure stemming the tide is possible. On another note... other than my Bit defender Total security getting wiped out, I'm having no issues with Windows 10... Did I just jinx myself? :huh:

Nope you didn't jinx yourself and you're not alone with programs getting wiped out or disappearing. Many reports on the web that I've been seeing are saying the same thing. Since Windows 10 stagnated the release of it's OS, you'll start to see more and more reports and complaints similar to yours

Aside from possible risks, it slows down your internet connection and that alone is reason enough for me to disable it. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't speed up the update process only if you enable that option, and even if that were the case, there are not that many updates and they're usually small and only take a few minutes to download anyway and it's all happening in the backround, so speeding that up a little bit just doesn't seem like a real "pro" to me, especially not one that's worth sharing your bandwidth for. And what other "pros" are there, really, because I see none, except maybe that you can tell yourself that you're a nice person for doing it ;-)

I forgot about the upload bandwidth. DOH! That said Windows 10 is being transitioned more as a service platform than a single platform, meaning that as times goes by they'll add different features to it rather than stick with Windows 10 and release a new edition later on (think of Apple's OSX and how they are keeping the same platform but adding different upgrades to the base OS). So while you may not see a real uptick now in used bandwidth, reason stands that you may in the future. That all said I still can't believe I forgot the bandwidth! Goes to show I was looking it mainly as a IT professional in a large company where bandwidth and speed doesn't really matter :(

microsoft is an egomanical bastard and we all know it... especially after the monopoly trials... that seemed to have gotten pushed under the rug somehow. :P

Yes. Microsoft is an egomanical and ecomanical bastard at times. I'm still irritated that they won't release DirectX 12 to 'older' systems. I'll be damned if I upgrade my gaming rig to Windows 10. My laptop, I don't mind since I just use it for school, writing and basic mundane stuff but come between me and my baby and well, it won't be pretty :)

• Like 1

David, could you explain how to disable this ... in simple terms... please... Gary

• Like 1

David, could you explain how to disable this ... in simple terms... please... Gary

Ok, so you click on the "start"-button (bottom left corner), there you select "settings" (bottom left), then the settings-window appears, there you click on "update & security" (bottom right), in the next screen (under "windows update") click on "advanced options" at the bottom on the right, then click on "choose how updates are delivered" in the next screen and then (under "updates from more than one place") you can disable the peer-to-peer feature completely, or you could also pick the option "PCs on my local network" instead and updates will download faster, but you don't have to upload anything in return. I disabled it completely, because that just makes the most sense to me.

• Like 3

Ok, so you click on the "start"-button (bottom left corner), there you select "settings" (bottom left), then the settings-window appears, there you click on "update & security" (bottom right), in the next screen (under "windows update") click on "advanced options" at the bottom on the right, then click on "choose how updates are delivered" in the next screen and then (under "updates from more than one place") you can disable the peer-to-peer feature completely, or you could also pick the option "PCs on my local network" instead and updates will download faster, but you don't have to upload anything in return. I disabled it completely, because that just makes the most sense to me.

Thanks, David... that was easy, and seems to make the most sense to me as well, to disable it completely... I'll know on my next scheduled updates whether there's much difference in the speed of the update... thanks for this... Gary

• Like 1