[dkstories] Redux 37 is up

• Site Administrator

The first part of the chapter is a bit hard to read with him talking to himself. The rest of it leads to some very interesting possibilities.

Myr

Wow, my head is still spinning. I wasn't sure how the headaches and other loose ends would change things. This was simply a great chapter. I am left curious what contact he had with Brian, Sean and others when he was back to being a "normal" boy from ages 8-12. Did just being himself setup a close future with the other old friends? I can't wait for the next chapter!

Thanks Dan!

ORN

Richard

The first part of the chapter is a bit hard to read with him talking to himself. The rest of it leads to some very interesting possibilities.

I thought it was perfectly normal for Davey to talk to himself? (He's based partially on Dan, isn't he?) 0:)

Seriously though, this chapter was excellent! I really liked the way the intervening time lag was first alluded to, and then explained in more and more detail.

I certainly liked Papa being sneaky! I also have a real good laugh about Papa, even once he knew about Davey being older than him, telling him to watch his mouth! ROFL!

So, if rumors (including those from Dan) are to be believed, there are only three more chapters in DOR.

I keep hoping this is artistic misdirection on Dan's part, much like he said a while back that the, er, you-know-what hits the fan in chapter 37, but it turned out to be at the end of 36, and surprised us all.

The way I look at it, it's a win-win situation for me. One way, I get to see how Dan does something I don't think is possible: wrap up the previous 77 chapters (DO and DOR combined) in the next three and give it closure. The other way, I get more chapters of DOR.

The way I look at it, it's a win-win situation for me. One way, I get to see how Dan does something I don't think is possible: wrap up the previous 77 chapters (DO and DOR combined) in the next three and give it closure. The other way, I get more chapters of DOR.

I have to agree with you there CJ. I have read all of Dan's orginal stories now, and really in my mind, have never ssen an ending by Dan. Ok I just read the last chapter of DO again, and it was a good ending. However, in my mind, since I just started reading DO & DOR, there wasn't an ending in there because the second one was already 3/4 of the way done when I satrted reading DO. And VJ's ending definitely left it wide open for, and really indicated there would be, more to follow. And DoT is far from finished(I can hope anyways, time will tell :D ), So I am really looking forward to the last 3 chapters.

I have to agree with you there CJ. I have read all of Dan's orginal stories now, and really in my mind, have never ssen an ending by Dan. Ok I just read the last chapter of DO again, and it was a good ending. However, in my mind, since I just started reading DO & DOR, there wasn't an ending in there because the second one was already 3/4 of the way done when I satrted reading DO. And VJ's ending definitely left it wide open for, and really indicated there would be, more to follow. And DoT is far from finished(I can hope anyways, time will tell :D ), So I am really looking forward to the last 3 chapters.

Tim, you are right, the only stories I've sever seen Dan finish (with the exception of Shapers) ended up having sequels... And shapers was a sequel to "mists"... Hmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so my prediction is, the ending of DOR will be like the ending of DO: Great, but with room for the sequel, DO3. (or, will it be DO4, given that it will be the 4th trip back?). We have all the ingredients, including Sean coming back with the knowledge of how to build a new machine.

Perhaps Davey won't be the central character? Poor Davey must be getting awful sick of puberty by now, and if he keeps having to go back into a younger and younger self, while getting subjectively older and older, he's going to be in diapers at both ends of the trip!

Okay, stories that have been completed:

Mists of Fate (My first story, and it was fully completed. Yes, I'm publishing it now and doing some revision/additions to it as I ready it for Printing, but that doesn't change that it was completed)

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - The first HP Fanfic I wrote, fully completed.

Harry Potter and the Destiny of Prophecies - Sequel to Sword, and finished completely.

Phone Call - Another completed story. It's still being reformatted with some revisions for posting here at Gay Authors...but it was completed at Nifty years ago. I've pretty much gotten all the chapters done by Emoe but it's waiting for me to get the time/motivation to clean up the coding and get it posted.

It's Never Easy - Phone Call sequel also completed. Same thing as Phone Call - waiting for me to get it ready to be posted. Time's a precious commodity right now and I'd prefer to get new stuff posted first, but if readers want me to change priorities...I guess I could do that (okay, yeah, that was a little bitchy but I'm having a bad fracking day).

HP: The Conversation - This was a complete one-chapter short story.

Incomplete stories:

HP: Fate Sucks & Slytherin Style- Fate Sucks was never intended to be more than one or two chapters. Along with Slytherin Style, I've got a story idea on how to wrap them all up, but I personally believe my original fiction should come first. With the work I'm doing to make a living, helping out with the grandmother, and with producing some original fiction stories, as well as running for office, I don't have a lot of time, and the fanfiction is taking the hindmost seat.

My one foray into printed publishing makes me realize it's a money loser for my stories (blow to the ego, but I'll live with that) and I'll just finish out the trilogy and put them in print because I said I would. If I'm going to put any other story into print, it's going to be an original work that I will not make available online. My priorities for writing (in order)currently are:

Finish Posting the Completed Do Over Redux

Write and Post my new 15-chapter story

Continue with Vampire Jarred 2: Service at a rate of 1-2 chapters per month

Pick up Dawn of Tears and finish it (about 15-20 chapters)

Review and Revise Shapers Chronicles: Shapers' War and get it published by June 30, 2006. (I'll be spending probably close to $500 doing that, and as an example, I've only made $28 on the first book so yeah I lose money doing it, but I said I would)

Continue work on Imperalis Tellus as a potential printed only or screen project.

Develop a story idea I have for a printed-only sci-fi project - start writing in 2007.

Having now read Vampire Jarred and its sequel, as well as DO and DOR, I would definitely consider myself a "fan" of dkstories, which I never thought was possible, since I've never really been interested in the sci-fi genre.

My prediction is that Davey will accomplish setting things right before he finally loses his memory of previous timelines, and will get to live out a "normal" childhood/adolescence for the last time, without all of the other pressures or burdens. That would certainly be the best scenario for him. He may then have the chance to "naturally" begin a real relationship with Brian all over again. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though. :D

Since I live in Taiwan myself, and the threat of conflict with China is very present and very real, I found the mention of the "Battle of Taiwan" very interesting, though I must disagree with its outcome. Current predictions and scenarios by both the Taiwanese military (who I have worked for) and the U.S. Pacific Command show that Communist Chinese forces would most likely overrun Taiwan before US forces had a chance to react, with Taipei (the capital) falling within six days. Could the US defeat China in a conflict over Taiwan? Yes. Would they? Probably not, since they wouldn't have enough time to get here, unless they resorted to using tactical nuclear weapons against targets in China.

Having now read Vampire Jarred and its sequel, as well as DO and DOR, I would definitely consider myself a "fan" of dkstories, which I never thought was possible, since I've never really been interested in the sci-fi genre.

My prediction is that Davey will accomplish setting things right before he finally loses his memory of previous timelines, and will get to live out a "normal" childhood/adolescence for the last time, without all of the other pressures or burdens. That would certainly be the best scenario for him. He may then have the chance to "naturally" begin a real relationship with Brian all over again. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though. :D

Since I live in Taiwan myself, and the threat of conflict with China is very present and very real, I found the mention of the "Battle of Taiwan" very interesting, though I must disagree with its outcome. Current predictions and scenarios by both the Taiwanese military (who I have worked for) and the U.S. Pacific Command show that Communist Chinese forces would most likely overrun Taiwan before US forces had a chance to react, with Taipei (the capital) falling within six days. Could the US defeat China in a conflict over Taiwan? Yes. Would they? Probably not, since they wouldn't have enough time to get here, unless they resorted to using tactical nuclear weapons against targets in China.

Your point is very accurate...if the PRC can get troops ashore on the ROC, then the war would likely be over very quickly with the United States not intervening too much. The big 'if' would be the presence of US submarines near enough to enter the straits in time to sink a large portion of the invasion fleet. However, given that the Straits are really too shallow for SSN to operate effectively, that would be very dangerous especially going up against the PRC Kilo diesel boats.

That's in OUR world, though, Timeline One that Davey left in the original Do Over. By the time of the Battle of Taiwan, the world he was living in was shaped far differently than the world we're use to, and China was viewed as much more of a threat than a source of low-cost laborers (hence the more adversarial approach on both sides and the Chinese desire to send their own back in time to make their situation better). They really did try to kill Davey Jones more than they tried to take Taiwan, and they took every step they could to try preventing him from interfering in their time travel project.

:read:

I hope it works out like that, too. Very interesting possibilities are alluded to, such as exactly what is in the letters to Reagan and Sean. I'm also amazed that Pappy didn't steam those open, too. I doubt I could have resisted!

I think there are many twists and turns yet to come...

BTW, to dkstories: sorry I missed all your other complete stories, and implied they were not complete. I haven't tried those yet (but will soon!).

I did note that "DO3" wasn't in your to-do list.. Oh well, can't blame a reader for hoping.. :P:read:

My priorities for writing (in order)currently are:

Finish Posting the Completed Do Over Redux

Write and Post my new 15-chapter story

Continue with Vampire Jarred 2: Service at a rate of 1-2 chapters per month

Pick up Dawn of Tears and finish it (about 15-20 chapters)

Review and Revise Shapers Chronicles: Shapers' War and get it published by June 30, 2006. (I'll be spending probably close to $500 doing that, and as an example, I've only made $28 on the first book so yeah I lose money doing it, but I said I would)

Continue work on Imperalis Tellus as a potential printed only or screen project.

Develop a story idea I have for a printed-only sci-fi project - start writing in 2007.

Dan,

Another excellent chapter, as always. I'm a little curious about how Davey knows that his memories are going to fade again, and that it will be permanent this time.

Regarding your priorities for the future, I have two questions. First, is there any chance you'd want to give us a hint as to what this new story idea is? Probably wishful thinking, I know, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Second, do you plan to write and post all 15 chapters of it before you do anything with DoT, or will you be working on both of them at the same time?

I can't wait to see where all of this is going!

The new story is coming along very well, and I'm fairly sure it's going to work out so I'll be announcing it when I post Chapter 39 of Do Over Redux. I know people aren't going to want DoR to end, and believe me when I tell you that I sympathize with that feeling. However, all good things do end. At least, I hope that by having a new story to look forward to (about a week after DOR ends the first chapter will be posted), it'll make the ending of DoR easier to deal with.

The new story is coming along very well, and I'm fairly sure it's going to work out so I'll be announcing it when I post Chapter 39 of Do Over Redux. I know people aren't going to want DoR to end, and believe me when I tell you that I sympathize with that feeling. However, all good things do end. At least, I hope that by having a new story to look forward to (about a week after DOR ends the first chapter will be posted), it'll make the ending of DoR easier to deal with.

Great! It sounds like the ideal "medicine" to get us over DOR Withdrawal...

BTW, to anyone who likes DO and DOR, but hasn't read Dan's Dawn of Tears, you are missing out, bigtime!

I'm still VERY perplexed as to how Dan will be able to wrap up DOR in just the three remaining chapters. I don't doubt that he can do it, but darned if I can see how. It's going to be an interesting ride!

I really liked the opening of Ch 37, with it's reference to the spackling of stars and planets on the ceiling. My immediate reaction was "when did that happen?" setting me up perfectly to accept that years had passed.

Hmmmm... I'm also really wondering what those two letters (to Sean and Reagan) contain. How will the other TT's be eliminated? As I recall, they tried and failed last time.

Oh well :( I guess all godd things must come to an end....

Chapter 37 is abit confusing at the beginning. Because Davey talked to himself. But I was left with the notion that Davey isn't gonna be chasing Brian again after all 0:) I like that part! :D davey and Brian together. :P Also, I'm guessing wether or not Davey's current personality will or will not dissappear after the headache. He lost four years!

Hey Dan, what about Imperialis Tellus? you still working on that one?

Cheers!

Rad

Ok, so I just realized that DOR is based in Modesto and that the characters went to El Vista...that's my old school!! I went there from kindergarden until I started 3rd grade before we moved to Va Beach...now Im totally into this story and it's super cool to read about my old neighborhood....thanks Dan

Hehe, what a small world. I went to El Vista for 4th grade and 6 grade. While going to La Loma Jr. High, I was a teacher's aide for a second grade class. Looking at your age...well that was a long time before you would have been there. ;)

Don't know if he's still talked about there...but I had a teacher named Mr. Lietz who had ninety-percent of the students at that school terrified of him...and he was one of the best teachers I ever had as a kid. It's actually in his memory that I included the school in both Dawn of Tears and Do Over...