Meet Zach Miko, The First Male Plus-Size Model!

methodwriter85

This story's been making the rounds and it's pretty neat. IMG Models just signed their first plus-size male model:

Meet Zach Miko, IMG Model's First Male Plus-Size Model

It's pretty cool to see some added diversity in the modeling world!

• Like 4

He's really good looking! :D

And contrary to all those models, he actually looks like Mr. Everybody that you can see on the street :2thumbs:

Edited by clochette

Grrr...I love bears! :wub:

Awesome to see someone normal as a model for once, not a plastic twink, who is actually 40 :o

• Like 1

Good looking dude, but if that is what they are calling a plus size male we still have a long way to go before we accurately define "normal" sizes.

• Like 1

Good looking dude, but if that is what they are calling a plus size male we still have a long way to go before we accurately define "normal" sizes.

I think more accurately, he'd be called a bear.

Really good-looking guy in any event despite the lack of a strong jawline or six-pack abs.

• Like 1

He's 6' 6" tall, and has a 40" waist. He isn't plus size, he's just a big, beefy dude. 

"Plus size" is just the politically correct term people use to make themselves feel better about just being fat. 

He's 6' 6" tall, and has a 40" waist. He isn't plus size, he's just a big, beefy dude. 

"Plus size" is just the politically correct term people use to make themselves feel better about just being fat. 

The thing is, he's been under enormous pressure to lose weight and get down to hardbody jock bod, because he does have a great face. If he had been able to pull off a Chris Pratt, he would have been much easier to sell, but if you're going too far against your natural body type, it really gets impossible. So in any event, I'm glad that he's accepted himself, and he's getting a chance to do something that most guys who don't look like an Abercrombie and Fitch pin-up get to do.

Here's another quote from him in another article...

“You are beautiful the way you are right now,” Miko said. “Who you are — no matter what shape or size or age or what have you — is attractive, desirable, and valid.”

Great words to live by! Dude really is inspiring- it's great to see someone refuse to be told that they aren't beautiful because they don't fit into society's narrow mesomorph standard of beauty. I really do look forward to following this guy's career.

• Like 1

Body type and obesity aren't the same thing. So "plus size" and "fat" aren't either. Some people have larger bone mass than others, so they're naturally broader. Those muscles have to cover and support those bones, so the body naturally compensates for those differing types as well. These "plus size" models aren't fat, they're just a different body type than what most agencies look for in their models. He's just a hell of a lot of man, so a lot of agencies wouldn't know what to do with him, so they call him plus-size.

I bet he's a good cuddler. (hopes the hubby doesn't read that) 

• Like 2

Body type and obesity aren't the same thing. So "plus size" and "fat" aren't either. Some people have larger bone mass than others, so they're naturally broader. Those muscles have to cover and support those bones, so the body naturally compensates for those differing types as well. These "plus size" models aren't fat, they're just a different body type than what most agencies look for in their models. He's just a hell of a lot of man, so a lot of agencies wouldn't know what to do with him, so they call him plus-size.

I bet he's a good cuddler. (hopes the hubby doesn't read that) 

That's interesting! I don't know about that world, but yeah that makes sense. I hope he does well. It's interesting to me. I never realized until I started dating a Middle Eastern guy just how much advertising makes you think the world is white and super athletic, even when they're eating fast food and drinking a ton of alcohol. 

Buzzfeed did a video on him:

As a guy who grew up during the hey-day of Abercrombie and Fitch, it really is great to see a guy who shows that other kinds of guys can be beautiful, too.

• Like 3

Buzzfeed did a video on him:

As a guy who grew up during the hey-day of Abercrombie and Fitch, it really is great to see a guy who shows that other kinds of guys can be beautiful, too.

I love how the end of the video, Buzzfeed decided to cross-promo a video called Models React to D*ck Pics....   After all, size does matter....  <_<