Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

• Site Administrator
23 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Thanks for giving me the English name for these. Does it come from them pulling beer wagons (as in draft of beer), or is it the other way round?

I'm not sure, actually.  Draught, draft, or dray are all terms used for heavy, working horses like these.  From my understanding it's from Old English 'dragan' - to pull or haul, and the Danish equivalent is 'drage' meaning 'to draw'.  

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm not sure, actually.  Draught, draft, or dray are all terms used for heavy, working horses like these.  From my understanding it's from Old English 'dragan' - to pull or haul, and the Danish equivalent is 'drage' meaning 'to draw'.  

The Danish verb 'drage' is more commonly used with the meaning journey or wander,, but it can also mean draw in the sense of haul or pull something towards you.

Draft horse is translated to trækhest and træk = pull. So i guess it has nothing to do with draft of beer. The reason I asked is because the nickname bryghest came from the horses pulling (Carlsberg) beer wagons in Copenhagen. Apparently these horses are descendants of the original sturdy Jutland horses (Jydske heste) that in turn came from historic riding horses descending from bronze age horses.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I've been a bit lax with the question of the day due to being on vacation, but here's another one.  How old were you when you started riding?  

I was ten.  I related the story of how I started riding in the Advent Calendar I did with Aditus and Cole Matthews.  

• Like 2
On 18.6.2017 at 4:06 PM, Valkyrie said:

I've been a bit lax with the question of the day due to being on vacation, but here's another one.  How old were you when you started riding?  

I was ten.  I related the story of how I started riding in the Advent Calendar I did with Aditus and Cole Matthews.  

I was six, when my mum gave me the first riding lessons. Before this, I just sat on the horse.

• Site Administrator
21 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

I was six, when my mum gave me the first riding lessons. Before this, I just sat on the horse.

When I used to teach riding, the youngest we would take was six.  It was nice to see their progression if they stuck with it. :) 

• Like 2
Just now, Valkyrie said:

When I used to teach riding, the youngest we would take was six.  It was nice to see their progression if they stuck with it. :) 

You would have needed chains, to keep me from the horses, when I was younger than six. lol But I agree six is the youngest, that lessons make sense.

• Site Administrator
30 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

You would have needed chains, to keep me from the horses, when I was younger than six. lol But I agree six is the youngest, that lessons make sense.

We did make an exception once.  She was 5, but mature for her age.  She had lessons at the walk and trot for years.  She's all grown up now and last I knew still riding, so it's nice to hear that all those years of the basics paid off. :) 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

My youngest daughter was on a horse at four, but only with me holding her... at six she was competing in Lead Line(you had to be that age), where dad led my hose with a shank, but she did all the cues and steering at a walk... she was hi-point that year, but what mattered was how much she loved it ... 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Here's the question for tonight:  for those of you that jump, what's the highest fence you've ever jumped?  

Mine is four feet, I believe.  As a teenager I competed mainly at three feet, then in college I was jumping higher.  More 3'6" to 3' 9" fences.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Here's the question for tonight:  for those of you that jump, what's the highest fence you've ever jumped?  

Mine is four feet, I believe.  As a teenager I competed mainly at three feet, then in college I was jumping higher.  More 3'6" to 3' 9" fences.  

I am not very used to the measuring in feet, but I asked google.

I never concentrated much on jumping, but by accident the highest was 1,30m -1,40m I think. I was finished with a small pracours, but my horse was not. When I let the rains loose, she went straight to the high fence and jumped over it. I had just enough time to get all concentrated again and take the rains up for some tension. She loved jumping and had a high force in her back hand for it, but it was never my thing.

9 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

:gikkle: 

OMG... that's funny. I loved when the horse dropped and rolled... anyone listening would think I was crazy. I remember the days when backing a trailer was a struggle... got excellent at it eventually :)  Thanks for this, Val... it made my day!!

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

OMG... that's funny. I loved when the horse dropped and rolled... anyone listening would think I was crazy. I remember the days when backing a trailer was a struggle... got excellent at it eventually :)  Thanks for this, Val... it made my day!!

Oh I've done my share of laughable trailer backing. :gikkle: I got pretty good at it, too. ;)  

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

@Headstall I'm finally getting caught up on my Spruce Meadows watching. :)  I just finished watching the Atco speed class and OMG  what a great class!  McClain is always a joy to watch.  I love the new design on the Canada planks.  I tried finding a pic, but only found the old design.  I still have the derby to watch.  That's always my favorite class. :) 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

Hell, yeah :) 

Did you watch the Derby at Spruce Meadows?  Richard Spooner with scruff... OMG I still have the recording so I can rewatch it just to look at him... :wub: 

• Like 2
Just now, Valkyrie said:

Did you watch the Derby at Spruce Meadows?  Richard Spooner with scruff... OMG I still have the recording so I can rewatch it just to look at him... :wub: 

No... I watched the NHL draft...  he's a hottie :yes: 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Headstall said:

No... I watched the NHL draft...  he's a hottie :yes: 

He's very similar to how I picture Josh from THH. :wub: And did I mention the scruff?  *swoon* :gikkle:  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..