Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

• Site Moderator

Hey Val

Just noticed the newest edition to Chat Lite. I like the name, because you're right, there are lots of horse people on this site. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I took lessons once many, many years ago, and let's just say, it didn't go too well. 

I still like horses, and think they are beautiful, but they would be happier with someone else riding them. 

Good luck, and break a leg with the new thread. :) 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Since there's so many horse people on the site, I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can share stories/memories/experiences we've had with our four-legged friends. I'd love to see pics and hear about others' equine companions. :)  

I'll start off with a question:  What's the most times you've fallen off in a single lesson/day?  

Such a cool idea Valkyrie! :2thumbs:

Answer to the question:

I think, not more than once at a time. But sometimes in really stupid ways. Like looking backwards to the kids and got hit by a branch.

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

Hey Val

Just noticed the newest edition to Chat Lite. I like the name, because you're right, there are lots of horse people on this site. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I took lessons once many, many years ago, and let's just say, it didn't go too well. 

I still like horses, and think they are beautiful, but they would be happier with someone else riding them. 

Good luck, and break a leg with the new thread. :) 

Thanks, Reader :)  Sorry your lessons didn't go well.  I taught lessons for many years and learned that horseback riding isn't for everybody.  Sometimes it's best to enjoy them from the ground.  Hopefully voluntarily. ;)  lol

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Lyssa said:

Answer to the question:

I think, not more than once at a time. But sometimes in really stupid ways. Like looking backwards to the kids and got hit by a branch.

Lucky!  lol  My record is four.  It was a jumping lesson and we were jumping a grid. To this day, grids give me nightmares... lol  It had four jumps and the warmblood mare I was riding kept spooking and stopping at the final jump, causing me to sail over it without her.  After I hit the dirt the fourth time, I finally got mad enough to get her over the damn jump.  It wasn't pretty, but she didn't refuse after that! lol  

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

Answer to the question:

Sorry, Lyssa. I read your post, which caused me to spontaneously giggle. I hope only your pride got hurt when you hit that's tree.

To make up you feel better, I will tell you about a little mishap I experienced during one of my very few lessons.

I got a leg up - I think that's the correct term - from one of the instructors early on in the lessons. Nothing wrong with that, right? No, of course not. Except I wasn't paying enough attention, and kept on going over the saddle and down the other side of the horse. Oops... Good thing the instructor didn't let go of me or I might have landed on my head. :rolleyes:

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'll start off with a question:  What's the most times you've fallen off in a single lesson/day?  

Luckily none (I don't get to ride often), but if you change that question to 'how many times did you fail to successfully mount a horse in a lesson' ... well. :blushing: 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Lucky!  lol  My record is four.  It was a jumping lesson and we were jumping a grid. To this day, grids give me nightmares... lol  It had four jumps and the warmblood mare I was riding kept spooking and stopping at the final jump, causing me to sail over it without her.  After I hit the dirt the fourth time, I finally got mad enough to get her over the damn jump.  It wasn't pretty, but she didn't refuse after that! lol  

Sounds like both of you had a fair chance to get your way. LOL

Over the years I found out, that there are many possibilities to get your self hurt around horses, if you don`t watch out enough, without falling down.

A) Don`t try to stop a galloping horse with bare hands! Even it is a pony! It leads to broken fingers and fibers. But on the plus side, you don`t have to write your Italian exam. :rolleyes:

B ) If you are not smart enough to take your foot fast enough away, if your horse wants to place her hoof on the same place, watch out, that the ground is swampy , safes your bones.

C) If you jump over a ditch by foot and ask your horse to follow you, be prepared, that the horse will sit on your lap once in a while.

Edited by Lyssa
  • Site Moderator

Thanks Val for the new section. The answer to your question is never. I was a natural rider from the first time and not even the meanest tempered horse ever threw me off. I'm sitting here looking at an oil portrait of me as a child on the back of my horse. It brings back many pleasant memories.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Great idea, Val!!! The place where I bought and boarded my first horse was run by the most amazing character... I bought an unbroke two-year-old gelding ... yeah, I know... stupid... and he told me a person has to come off a horse 14 times before you're a good rider... My second day working with my horse... I knew nothing... and my first day trying to back him, I marched down to his house from the barn, and informed him I was now a good rider... I was bucked off 17 times... got pretty good at landing, and I finally figured out if I kept his head up, he couldn't get rid of me... God was I sore after that, but it was worth it... months later, that guy told me he'd been watching me that day, and told his wife I was going to be a hell of a rider :) 

:o:rofl:

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

Great idea, Val!!! The place where I bought and boarded my first horse was run by the most amazing character... I bought an unbroke two-year-old gelding ... yeah, I know... stupid... and he told me a person has to come off a horse 14 times before you're a good rider... My second day working with my horse... I knew nothing... and my first day trying to back him, I marched down to his house from the barn, and informed him I was now a good rider... I was bucked off 17 times... got pretty good at landing, and I finally figured out if I kept his head up, he couldn't get rid of me... God was I sore after that, but it was worth it... months later, that guy told me he'd been watching me that day, and told his wife I was going to be a hell of a rider :) 

Wow!  My record is four!  lol  He's right... I bet you are a hell of a rider.  That kind of tenacity can't be taught.  

I have to laugh at your comment about keeping their heads up.  I schooled a known bucker over a cross country course once, and was absolutely terrified of being dumped the entire time.  That fear made me ride impeccably... until we got to the bank.  The horse had to lower his head to get down the bank - it was about a three foot drop - and he had been trying to buck after every single jump.  Well, it took me a while to trust him enough to finally give him the rein he needed to get down the bank, and he promptly grabbed the bit in his teeth and took off across the field doing his best bronco imitation.  To my credit, I stayed on!  The rest of the group just stared at me in shock when I finally got him under control and back with the pack.  I'm still pretty proud of how I stuck on. :) 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Sounds like both of you had a fair chance to get your way. LOL

Over the years I found out, that there are many possibilities to get your self hurt around horses, if you don`t watch out enough, without falling down.

A) Don`t try to stop a galloping horse with bare hands! Even it is a pony! It leads to broken fingers and fibers. But on the plus side, you don`t have to write your Italian exam. :rolleyes:

B ) If you are not smart enough to take your foot fat enough away, if your horse wants to place her hoof on the same place, watch out, that the ground is swampy , safes your bones.

C) If you jump over a ditch by foot and ask your horse to follow you, be prepared, that the horse will sit on your lap once in a while.

I have learned all of these lessons the hard way.  My right hand has never been same since I got a lead rope wrapped around my thumb and the horse I was turning out pulled away before I unhooked the lead rope and wrenched it backwards.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Sorry, Lyssa. I read your post, which caused me to spontaneously giggle. I hope only your pride got hurt when you hit that's tree.

To make up you feel better, I will tell you about a little mishap I experienced during one of my very few lessons.

I got a leg up - I think that's the correct term - from one of the instructors early on in the lessons. Nothing wrong with that, right? No, of course not. Except I wasn't paying enough attention, and kept on going over the saddle and down the other side of the horse. Oops... Good thing the instructor didn't let go of me or I might have landed on my head. :rolleyes:

I was far from getting my pride hurt. LOL Things like this can happen. I lay on the ground and the only thing I thought was. "Don`t swear, don`t yell, don`t cry out of pain. Think of the kids." LOL

Glad you didn`t bum your head. This could have been serious.

• Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

:gikkle: I have seen this happen many times... usually with the person landing on the other side of the horse...  lol 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I have learned all of these lessons the hard way.  My right hand has never been same since I got a lead rope wrapped around my thumb and the horse I was turning out pulled away before I unhooked the lead rope and wrenched it backwards.  

Ouch! I have a scar on my left hand from a similar occasion.

• Site Administrator

I was far from getting my pride hurt. LOL Things like this can happen. I lay on the ground and the only thing I thought was. "Don`t swear, don`t yell, don`t cry out of pain. Think of the kids." LOL

I was riding a horse in a flat class to warm him up for a student of mine once... it had rained for days prior so the ring was one giant mud puddle.  I got bucked off and there no avoiding puddles since the entire ring was a puddle.  I was so furious at first, but then took one look at myself covered head to toe in mud and then couldn't stop laughing.  We went home after that.  lol

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

:gikkle: I have seen this happen many times... usually with the person landing on the other side of the horse...  lol 

Yep, that's exactly what happened. I was just lucky not to have landed on my head. Good to know I am not unique. Though, I always thought I was the only one this ever happened to... :P 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

I was riding a horse in a flat class to warm him up for a student of mine once... it had rained for days prior so the ring was one giant mud puddle.  I got bucked off and there no avoiding puddles since the entire ring was a puddle.  I was so furious at first, but then took one look at myself covered head to toe in mud and then couldn't stop laughing.  We went home after that.  lol

LOL

Last week I took my girls from the stable out for a ride. Telling them: Oh yes, I know the ways around here. I rode here fifteen years ago.

Hm... I learned, that I was wrong. But we had a great adventure until we reached civilization again.

25 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Omg, I'm sorry Lyssa. The mental image made me laugh.  I hope you weren't hurt?  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LitLover said:

Omg, I'm sorry Lyssa. The mental image made me laugh.  I hope you weren't hurt?  

That is totally ok, I laugh myself about it. I was not bad hurt. And the kids learned an important lesson. Always watch straight where you ride. I don`t know how often I said this before, but this time they understood! LOL

5 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

That is totally ok, I laugh myself about it. I was not bad hurt. And the kids learned an important lesson. Always watch straight where you ride. I don`t know how often I said this before, but this time they understood! LOL

Gotta love life lessons you didn't expect to teach lol

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I am totally focused, and I guess you could say stubborn when I'm riding... the mare I have left exhibits the best job I've ever done on a horse. I broke her out as a two year old because I needed her ready for a futurity (I x-rayed, and her knees were closed) anyway, she was as sweet as could be the first three times I backed her... we even did a couple of short lopes... so the next day time, I expected the same... uh uh... that day went down in history... I called it the ride from hell... what a witch... thankfully, I had a bosal adjusted loose on her, because I need her mouth to be soft as butter for the snaffle bit class... she did everything under the sun to get rid of me... it was actually fun, except that I was worried she would hurt herself... anyway, we got through it... ended with her jogging sweetly, and she never took a wrong step again :) 

Is this the usual age for a horse to break in where you live? I am really interested, because here it is different.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..