Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

I think it's time I revealed a huge secret about me... dun Dun DUN!!! :P

I may be a born 'n raised Texan, but I've never actually ridden a horse. :o (well, except for that one time in Mexico when I was 12 goin' on 13, lol). In my defense, I was, and still am a nerd who finds almost all outdoor activities to be a huge "Nope!" for me. :lol: 

However, I have been toying with the idea of actually taking horse-riding lessons, so do any of you know what is the price for adult lessons? :) 

• Like 3

This really happened and shows my stupidity... after my gelding was broke, I did everything with him, and he got used to all kinds of stuff... so I decided one day to see if I could do a running mount from behind, just like in the movies. I had an old western with a low cantle, and my gelding wasn't very tall then... he only ended up at 15 2... I start at a run, put my hands on his rump... nope, not what your thinking... he stayed dead still and I overshot the saddle and put precious cargo right on the horn... I don't think I've ever felt such pain... I rolled off onto the ground with a bunch of other boarders around me... <shudder>  still hurts to think about it :unsure: 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
7 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

That is totally ok, I laugh myself about it. I was not bad hurt. And the kids learned an important lesson. Always watch straight where you ride. I don`t know how often I said this before, but this time they understood! LOL

I had a student who was ready for a bit more of a challenge, so I put her on a nice, but could-be-cranky pony.  This pony usually needed a bit of encouragement to go, so students needed to carry a crop when riding her, but she would buck if they used it.  I told the student this.  So what does she do?  Smacks the pony when it won't trot and promptly gets bucked over the arena fence.  It was her first fall, too.  lol  She was fine, just surprised.  I said 'maybe next time you'll listen to me when I tell you not to use the stick'.   :gikkle:  Lesson learned. ;)  

• Like 2
Just now, Headstall said:

This really happened and shows my stupidity... after my gelding was broke, I did everything with him, and he got used to all kinds of stuff... so I decided one day to see if I could do a running mount from behind, just like in the movies. I had an old western with a low cantle, and my gelding wasn't very tall then... he only ended up at 15 2... I start at a run, put my hands on his rump... nope, not what your thinking... he stayed dead still and I overshot the saddle and put precious cargo right on the horn... I don't think I've ever felt such pain... I rolled off onto the ground with a bunch of other boarders around me... <shudder>  still hurts to think about it :unsure: 

OMG

Just now, Drew Espinosa said:

I may be a born 'n raised Texan, but I've never actually ridden a horse. :o (well, except for that one time in Mexico when I was 12 goin' on 13, lol). In my defense, I was, and still am a nerd who finds almost all outdoor activities to be a huge "Nope!" for me. :lol: 

However, I have been toying with the idea of actually taking horse-riding lessons, so do any of you know what is the price for adult lessons? :) 

It varies Drew, but do some research... you want an instructor that knows their stuff... too many pretenders out there trying to make easy money :yes:  I know because I've taught after some of them, and had to return to basics... 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I don`t know the prices around Texas and I am not sure if German prices would help. But here it depends who gives the lessons. Starting with 15 € open end.

2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I just winced in sympathy, Gary. :pinch: 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Is this the usual age for a horse to break in where you live? I am really interested, because here it is different.

It depends on the discipline.  They break thoroughbreds in as yearlings and race them at two.  Hunter/jumpers break them in at the three-four year old range, but don't jump until they are four/five and up.  Not sure about western disciplines.  

4 minutes ago, Headstall said:

It varies Drew, but do some research... you want an instructor that knows their stuff... too many pretenders out there trying to make easy money :yes:  I know because I've taught after some of them, and had to return to basics... 

3 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

I don`t know the prices around Texas and I am not sure if German prices would help. But here it depends who gives the lessons. Starting with 15 € open end.

Thanks Gary and Lyssa! :D I'll do my research!

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I had a student who was ready for a bit more of a challenge, so I put her on a nice, but could-be-cranky pony.  This pony usually needed a bit of encouragement to go, so students needed to carry a crop when riding her, but she would buck if they used it.  I told the student this.  So what does she do?  Smacks the pony when it won't trot and promptly gets bucked over the arena fence.  It was her first fall, too.  lol  She was fine, just surprised.  I said 'maybe next time you'll listen to me when I tell you not to use the stick'.   :gikkle:  Lesson learned. ;)  

Once I had someone to ride my horse once every week, or at least she wanted to. I told her not to use bearing-rein ever. She didn`t listen. My horse bucked her off 7 times in 8 minutes. She is a proud horse and wont bare bearing-rein, she made her point clear.

• Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Like others have said, it varies.  I would guess the $30-60 range, but do your research on the instructor and stable first.  And wear a helmet.  Even if you are riding western.  It's too easy to get a head injury.  I had a helmet save my life once, and that was after I'd been riding for about ten years.  We don't want anything to happen to our Pi-boy! :hug: 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

It depends on the discipline.  They break thoroughbreds in as yearlings and race them at two.  Hunter/jumpers break them in at the three-four year old range, but don't jump until they are four/five and up.  Not sure about western disciplines.  

Wow this is early. Racing horses might be the same here, but with the other horses we start a year later and jumping a lot later.

• Site Administrator
7 minutes ago, Headstall said:

:rofl:  I'm sorry for your man-bits Gary.. but :rofl:  Your story reminds me of a friend's boyfriend in college... he used to do that to her horse, but at least it was bareback, so no horn to run into ;)  :gikkle:  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Like others have said, it varies.  I would guess the $30-60 range, but do your research on the instructor and stable first.  And wear a helmet.  Even if you are riding western.  It's too easy to get a head injury.  I had a helmet save my life once, and that was after I'd been riding for about ten years.  We don't want anything to happen to our Pi-boy! :hug: 

@Drew Espinosa Listen to her! Always helmet!

Last week I had a discussion with a twelve year old, who greatest wish is a horse. But her mum and dad won`t buy her one, even aaalll of her friends will get one. LOL

I made a math lecture out of it and let her calculate what I already paid only for stable rent for my horse.

The result made us both turn pale. Since than she is very happy to take care of one of my mums ponies for free. LOL

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Aw! :hug: I wouldn't want anything to happen to our Pesky Penguin, either, so I'm glad that helmet saved you.

4 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

@Drew Espinosa Listen to her! Always helmet!

I'll try to remember Lyssa, but like with riding bikes, I tend to forget. However, I'll do my best to remind myself to wear one, always. :) 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

:rofl:  I'm sorry for your man-bits Gary.. but :rofl:  Your story reminds me of a friend's boyfriend in college... he used to do that to her horse, but at least it was bareback, so no horn to run into ;)  :gikkle:  

That would have been the smart way, yes :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
Just now, Drew Espinosa said:

Aw! :hug: I wouldn't want anything to happen to our Pesky Penguin, either, so I'm glad that helmet saved you.

I'll try to remember Lyssa, but like with riding bikes, I tend to forget. However, I'll do my best to remind myself to wear one, always. :) 

Please take this really serious. At the age of twelve I witnessed a deadly accident in my riding lesson. I wasn`t able to go on a horse back for a few years after that. A helmet would have safed the girls live.

6 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Lyssa, I am taking this seriously. :hug: Do you want me to edit my post to clarify any misunderstanding on my part?

No! Never! Everything fine. I just want to make my point clear, because that is something that still bugs me after all this time.

Sorry if I made the discussion to serious. I didn`t want to stop it. :unsure2:

Edited by Lyssa
  • Site Administrator

I was riding a horse once at a fast canter around the ring and I ended up turning her too abruptly when she wasn't balanced enough.  She fell, and I landed on top of my head and she landed on my feet.  I heard a horrible snapping noise and felt my head jerk to the side.  I thought my neck was broken.  I was so terrified that my screams brought our riding director running up the hill from her cabin to the ring.  It turned out that the crack I heard was my helmet.  I came away from the fall with only a jammed up foot.  I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing that helmet.  They save lives, no doubt.  @Lyssa, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  I've seen some pretty terrifying accidents, but nothing compared to that. :hug: 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

I was riding a horse once at a fast canter around the ring and I ended up turning her too abruptly when she wasn't balanced enough.  She fell, and I landed on top of my head and she landed on my feet.  I heard a horrible snapping noise and felt my head jerk to the side.  I thought my neck was broken.  I was so terrified that my screams brought our riding director running up the hill from her cabin to the ring.  It turned out that the crack I heard was my helmet.  I came away from the fall with only a jammed up foot.  I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing that helmet.  They save lives, no doubt.  @Lyssa, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  I've seen some pretty terrifying accidents, but nothing compared to that. :hug: 

So glad, it was only the helmet that broke. :hug:

• Site Administrator

I started out in hunter/jumper, then went to college and earned a bachelor's degree in Equine Studies and gained experience in lot of other disciplines, including dressage, western, competitive trail riding, and combined driving.  I spent a year in Arizona working for a team roper, exercising the horses, taking care of all the barn chores, and horn-wrapping the calves and operating the roping chute.  From there I moved back to New York state and worked at a world-class eventing barn, where I learned a lot more about dressage, cross country jumping, and show jumping.  Then I moved back to my hometown and worked for five years as the assistant riding director of a hunter/jumper barn and also taught therapeutic horseback riding.  So I have experience in quite a few different disciplines.  Right now I would say my main passion would be dressage, even though I'm not currently riding.  I have a bad back and have put on a few pounds since quitting the industry, so I'm not physically capable of riding right now, although I hope that changes in the future. :) 

What discipline do you ride, Lyssa?  

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..