Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

• Site Administrator
Just now, Headstall said:

Oh, Jeez... just remembered it... Hidalgo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG... I loved the movie, and I loved that horse!!!

How can you go wrong with Viggo Mortenson and a beautiful paint horse? :wub: And Phar Lap is a great movie, too. :) 

• Like 2
Just now, Valkyrie said:

How can you go wrong with Viggo Mortenson and a beautiful paint horse? :wub: And Phar Lap is a great movie, too. :) 

Did you know Viggo bought Hidalgo at the end of the movie, and still owns him?  I think that is so awesome... and Hidalgo has appaloosa blood in him :) 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I loved Spirit!  Did you know they're making a sequel? :D 

No I didn't but you can bet I will be seeing it, and probably buying it on dvd.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Headstall said:

Did you know Viggo bought Hidalgo at the end of the movie, and still owns him?  I think that is so awesome... and Hidalgo has appaloosa blood in him :) 

Yes, I did know that.  I think he bought the horse he rode in the LoTR, too. :)

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Kitt said:

No I didn't but you can bet I will be seeing it, and probably buying it on dvd.

Oh, I'm wrong... :facepalm: It's going to be a Netflix series, not a movie. 

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Kitt said:

I want Shadowfax!

Yes!  Shadowfax is awesome! :D One of the Nazgul's horses was bought by someone who evented him.  I'm drawing a blank as to the horse's name, but it was related to LoTR.  

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Valkyrie said:

Yes!  Shadowfax is awesome! :D One of the Nazgul's horses was bought by someone who evented him.  I'm drawing a blank as to the horse's name, but it was related to LoTR.  

Frodo Baggins. Sadly he was injured at Rolex a few years ago and had to be put to sleep. :(  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Frodo Baggins. Sadly he was injured at Rolex a few years ago and had to be put to sleep. :(  

Eventing is tough.  I never quite understood why people want to jump over chicken coops and the like.  We lost a horse from one team and a rider from another in separate accidents at a single event last year at the HPNJ Jersey Fresh.

• Site Administrator
Just now, Kitt said:

Eventing is tough.  I never quite understood why people want to jump over chicken coops and the like.  We lost a horse from one team and a rider from another in separate accidents at a single event last year at the HPNJ Jersey Fresh.

Yes, eventing is very tough and needs a lot of reform, IMO.  It's become incredibly technical and I don't get the current trend toward jumping corners and skinny jumps.  Anyone riding in the field knows to avoid those types of objects.. not jump them.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Today's question goes hand in hand with yesterday's.  What's your favorite horse movie?

The Black Stallion is one of my all-time faves.  I also really like Sylvester, which stars Melissa Gilbert and features three day eventing.  There was a movie I saw a long time ago about a boarding school that featured horses.  I can't remember the name, but one of the girls in the movie had a parent who was a famous rider.  The girl was scared of jumping and ashamed of that fact since she was from such a famous riding family.  I think it may have been a British movie. 

Oh an other question, which leads to embarrassment. LOL My favorite horse movie is "Immenhof", which I hope nobody except me knows around here. It is so sappy. LOL

13 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Yes, I did know that.  I think he bought the horse he rode in the LoTR, too. :)

Yes he did, there was this awesome piece about it, or maybe it was in the extra material on the DVD. :unsure: I know there was this interview where he talked about the close  bond he developed with the horse, and how there was anxiety during the scene where the horse has to lie down next to him on the river bank, because if it went wrong, he might have been seriously injured, but he trusted the horse completely. I think Viggo may have bought a couple of the other horses too and gifted them to his fellow actors.

13 hours ago, Kitt said:

I want Shadowfax!

Sigh, me too :wub:  or at least as a poster on my wall if I were a horse-mad teen. ;) 

• Like 2

One of the actors in Brokeback Mountain was an experienced horse rider (Heath, I think) and the other (Jake G.) was a novice. I can recall seeing an interview where Jake (as I recall) talked about how awesome it was to see Heath handle the horses and help his fellow actor be comfortable with this part of his role. Can any one else recall this?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Lyssa said:

Oh an other question, which leads to embarrassment. LOL My favorite horse movie is "Immenhof", which I hope nobody except me knows around here. It is so sappy. LOL

I know...I know

*snicker*

• Like 3

The biggest commercial film success ever in Denmark was the movie De Røde Heste (The Red Horses), made in 1950 and remade in 1968 in color. it was based on a novel by the Danish romance writer Morten Korch and featured the popular Danish actor Poul Reichhardt in both movies (the one from 1950 he played the main character and in 1968 he played the guy's dad). Tickets equal to more than half Denmark's population was sold for the 1950 movie (2,3 mill - in comparison Titanic sold 1,4 mill tickets in Denmark, according in IMDB).

There is a trailer for the remake showing some of the old movie including horse driving.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, aditus said:

I know...I know

*snicker*

Aww... it looks like a cute movie!  Yeah yeah yeah... I like sappy movies too. ;):gikkle:  :*)

• Site Administrator

Question for today, in honor of the Belmont Stakes:  What's the best horse race you've ever seen?  Can be in person or on TV.  

When I was a kid, the best race I remember is the rivalry between Sunday Silence and Easy Goer.  I yelled my lungs out at the TV during the Belmont, and I'm not a yeller... lol  The best race of all time, IMO is when Secretariat won the Belmont.  I cry every time I watch that race.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Question for today, in honor of the Belmont Stakes:  What's the best horse race you've ever seen?  Can be in person or on TV.  

When I was a kid, the best race I remember is the rivalry between Sunday Silence and Easy Goer.  I yelled my lungs out at the TV during the Belmont, and I'm not a yeller... lol  The best race of all time, IMO is when Secretariat won the Belmont.  I cry every time I watch that race.  

What do you mean by horse race? I am not quite sure, if I get it right.

• Site Administrator
14 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

What do you mean by horse race? I am not quite sure, if I get it right.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
6 hours ago, Lyssa said:

Ahh understand, that is what I was thinking of. I must say, I know some people from the race court in Berlin. And that has me made, to not to like horse races. So I can not say, that there is a favorite race I have. :)

I am not a fan of the racing industry as a whole, but do enjoy watching the Triple Crown races:  The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and the Belmont.  

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..