Open Club  ·  135 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

• Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Just watched the Avco Cup at Spruce Meadows... McLean Ward won... was a great comp... I'm exhausted because I jumped every fence :) 

GAH!!!  I recorded it!  One of the reasons I keep my cable tv is to watch Spruce Meadows show jumping.  Since I live so close to the border, I get CBC and CTV.  McLain is a great rider, so I'm sure the competition was great.  I'll watch it when I get home. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

GAH!!!  I recorded it!  One of the reasons I keep my cable tv is to watch Spruce Meadows show jumping.  Since I live so close to the border, I get CBC and CTV.  McLain is a great rider, so I'm sure the competition was great.  I'll watch it when I get home. 

Oh, shoot... sorry, Val... my bad :( 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Headstall said:

Oh, shoot... sorry, Val... my bad :( 

No worries... I love talking about show jumping and Spruce Meadows.  How about we do spoiler tags in the future in case we haven't had a chance to watch it? :hug: 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

No worries... I love talking about show jumping and Spruce Meadows.  How about we do spoiler tags in the future in case we haven't had a chance to watch it? :hug: 

I won't post any more results... promise...

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I won't post any more results... promise...

Thanks :) Like I said, I love talking about the competitions.  My favorite are the derbys.  Oh, you gave me a good idea for the question of the day!  

Question of the day:  Who's your all-time favorite show jumper?  

It's so hard for me to choose.  I love Big Ben, Milton, Gem Twist.  Mario Delaurier's Boxcar Willie was also a horse I really liked, along with Lisa Carlen's Kahlua.  How he cleared those jumps dangling his legs the way he did is amazing.  

• Like 2
Just now, Valkyrie said:

Thanks :) Like I said, I love talking about the competitions.  My favorite are the derbys.  Oh, you gave me a good idea for the question of the day!  

Question of the day:  Who's your all-time favorite show jumper?  

It's so hard for me to choose.  I love Big Ben, Milton, Gem Twist.  Mario Delaurier's Boxcar Willie was also a horse I really liked, along with Lisa Carlen's Kahlua.  How he cleared those jumps dangling his legs the way he did is amazing.  

Hickstead :( 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

:facepalm: How could I forget Hickstead?  Yes, he was phenomenal.  He could jump the moon if Eric asked him to.  His loss was such a tragedy. :(  

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I felt so bad for Eric Lamaze

Me too.  I saw the press conference when he talked about it and he was in tears, understandably so.  Eric is a prime example of why we give people second (and third, and fourth) chances.  The Candadian Equestrian Federation knew what they were doing, and the partnership between Eric and Hickstead is the result.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Me too.  I saw the press conference when he talked about it and he was in tears, understandably so.  Eric is a prime example of why we give people second (and third, and fourth) chances.  The Candadian Equestrian Federation knew what they were doing, and the partnership between Eric and Hickstead is the result.  

He climbed back from a bad place... I feel proud of him...

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Headstall said:

He climbed back from a bad place... I feel proud of him...

Yes, most definitely.  Canada should be proud of him :) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

:facepalm: How could I forget Hickstead?  Yes, he was phenomenal.  He could jump the moon if Eric asked him to.  His loss was such a tragedy. :(  

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Me too.  I saw the press conference when he talked about it and he was in tears, understandably so.  

I'll have to google that. It sounds like the Danish Tarok, who was so popular in the 1970'ies that all of Denmark mourned his much too early death in 1981. He ran in the World Cup Derby on Roosevelt Raceway in 1977, but didn't place. He was called Dannebrog on four legs (Dannebrog is the name of the Danish flag). There was even a movie made in 2013, but it mostly flopped. I found a few pictures of the horse.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Sorry it's so late, but here's the question of the day:  What's your favorite horse breed?

Gary, I know yours is the appaloosa ;) lol  Mine is probably the Lipizzan.  I also love morgans.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Sorry it's so late, but here's the question of the day:  What's your favorite horse breed?

Gary, I know yours is the appaloosa ;) lol  Mine is probably the Lipizzan.  I also love morgans.  

Konics and Mèrens

... and of course my thoroughbred

• Site Administrator
20 minutes ago, wildone said:

Should I mention I live within 10 kms of Spruce Meadows and have never been :unsure:

Going to Spruce Meadows is on my bucket list.  Now I know who to visit when I go there. ;)  

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
23 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

:huh: uhm what is Spruce Meadows? 

(I know I could google, but it's cooler to get the explanation here.)

Spruce Meadows is a world class show jumping facility in Calgary.  They hold international competitions, including one of the Rolex Grand Slam competitions and the richest Grand Prix in the world.  

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..