New and old bugs

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Sony laptop, Windows 10, Firefox, no ad blocker

I unpublished chapter 10 of a story (Summer) in order to fix a typo. Once I was finished I republished the story. The system however decided to also unpublish all chapters after the one I wanted to work on.

While i'm at it:

1. There are still no notifications when someone leaves a comment on one of my chapters.

2. The system's still kicking me out on a selective basis and across 3 different platforms (iPad & Android phone) Signing back in all the time's a pain in the neck.

3. Advanced story search does not work when selecting multiple variables. (I was looking for completed Sci-Fi stories) I tried several times but I keep getting the same list full of In Process stories.

Suggestions? ETA for fixes?

I don't have answers but I do have a suggestion about keeping up with comments on your chapters.  Click on the 'Activity' tab at the top of the page and go to 'my activity streams'  and scroll down toward the bottom for 'newest comments on my stories/chapters' and it should list the newest comments on all your stories.  If you do that every couple of days or more often if you can, then you shouldn't miss any..

I too am randomly logged off and have to log back on.  It is better than it was and usually only happens once a day now.  I have a windows 10 home computer and use the chrome browser.   My Kindle Fire tablet also logs me off at times and of course it uses the Silk browser which is basically a chrome browser tricked out some by Amazon.  

I haven't used the advanced search....

Hang in there Carlos and hopefully you are making progress on CJ's next adventure!

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

Okay. I'll try to answer these in orders.

6 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I unpublished chapter 10 of a story (Summer) in order to fix a typo. Once I was finished I republished the story.

There is no need to ever unpublish a chapter in order to edit.  Just hit the edit button.

The system however decided to also unpublish all chapters after the one I wanted to work on.

This is by design in case an author unpublishes a middle chapter.  We had far too many support requests of "I'm reading Story X and it goes from Chapter 9 to Chapter 11.  What happened to Chapter 10?"  In the off chance someone unpublished a chapter, all following chapters are automatically unpublished.

1. There are still no notifications when someone leaves a comment on one of my chapters.

This is currently a bug.  It slipped by in the previous mess and I've alerted the programmer. 

2. The system's still kicking me out on a selective basis and across 3 different platforms (iPad & Android phone) Signing back in all the time's a pain in the neck.

I put a support request into the forums software folks and this is their reply:

Hello,  Normally anytime this happens there may be some old cookies hanging around from past versions on the user's browser causing issues.  In almost all cases, clearing any cookies and cache on the browser for the site clears this up.  I would see if the user affected here can do so, then test again perhaps. 

3. Advanced story search does not work when selecting multiple variables. (I was looking for completed Sci-Fi stories) I tried several times but I keep getting the same list full of In Process stories.

This bug was fixed and appears to be broken again.  The work around is to go to Advanced Search https://www.gayauthors.org/stories/browse/sort/

Select: complete, Sci-Fi and set Word Count to More Than 1000 (or any other number) and it will work.  I've reported the bug to the programmer

• Like 3
On 7/25/2017 at 5:47 PM, Myr said:

I put a support request into the forums software folks and this is their reply:

Hello,  Normally anytime this happens there may be some old cookies hanging around from past versions on the user's browser causing issues.  In almost all cases, clearing any cookies and cache on the browser for the site clears this up.  I would see if the user affected here can do so, then test again perhaps.

Sorry, Myr, not working. After clearing cookies and browsing history, GA still signs me off arbitrarily.

• Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Sorry, Myr, not working. After clearing cookies and browsing history, GA still signs me off arbitrarily.

Hopefully this will correct itself in next forum upgrade. Probably two weeks. We are waiting on compatibility update for Stories 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Myr said:

Hopefully this will correct itself in next forum upgrade. Probably two weeks. We are waiting on compatibility update for Stories 

Let's hope so. From a business point of view, the bug may be costing you eyes. It certainly reduces my interest (and maybe others) in checking the site frequently. Insted of clicking on a tab I have to sign in everytime. Sometime those few extra keystrokes are not worth it! :P

• Site Administrator
21 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Let's hope so. From a business point of view, the bug may be costing you eyes. It certainly reduces my interest (and maybe others) in checking the site frequently. Insted of clicking on a tab I have to sign in everytime. Sometime those few extra keystrokes are not worth it! :P

This seems to be a small issue occurring with some small number of people.  I can't repeat it on any combination of 4 different computers, a tablet and my phone...

Please try... Logging off when you are logged in.  then clearing the cache and cookies on the browser.  then closing the browser entirely.  (no tabs or other windows of it) and then re open it, go to the site and log in.  This is what I did to fix my problem when I experience it weeks ago.

• Like 1

Tonight, I was being logged out after 5 to 10 minutes of inactivity (as in not posting anything).  This is the first time for some time I have had that problem.  I use Windows 10, and Chrome browser, most of the time.  Any ideas why it might have suddenly started doing this?  While it is only a minor annoyance to sign back in, it is somewhat annoying.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
10 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Tonight, I was being logged out after 5 to 10 minutes of inactivity (as in not posting anything).  This is the first time for some time I have had that problem.  I use Windows 10, and Chrome browser, most of the time.  Any ideas why it might have suddenly started doing this?  While it is only a minor annoyance to sign back in, it is somewhat annoying.

We haven't changed any of the software that would cause it.  Try signing in... then logging yourself out.  then close the all the browsers and log in again.