The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, kbois said:

I've got the whole weekend off and other than some light housekeeping, no other plans. I have some chicken I need to divvy up into single servings and freeze. Cookies sound good too.... but when don't they?

I’ve got some housekeeping to do too. Rainy weekends work well for that.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

No humidity for me today, though it has been feeling soupy other days despite the cool temps. Currently it’s only 18C (64F). Looks like rain all weekend, so a good time for baking - Sasha’s Strawberry Oatmeal bars or  Mall cookies. Can’t decide which. Maybe both? 🤔

have you tried sasha's lemon squares.. those are a favourite here. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

have you tried sasha's lemon squares.. those are a favourite here. 

I’ve been thinking about making lemon squares, but my bad, I forgot about his. If I’ve got all the stuff for them, I’ll make them instead. 

Thanks for the reminder, tim. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I’ve been thinking about making lemon squares, but my bad, I forgot about his. If I’ve got all the stuff for them, I’ll make them instead. 

Thanks for the reminder, tim. :thumbup:

We really like them.. found putting the eggs and lemon stuff into the blender works best. Unless you are really good at beating eggs. Putting them in the blender helps stop white streaks.  They don't really affect the flavour, just the look. 

The lemon/egg mix will be thin so don't worry about that.. and add extra zest if you like them really lemony.

Michael loves them.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We really like them.. found putting the eggs and lemon stuff into the blender works best. Unless you are really good at beating eggs. Putting them in the blender helps stop white streaks.  They don't really affect the flavour, just the look. 

The lemon/egg mix will be thin so don't worry about that.. and add extra zest if you like them really lemony.

Michael loves them.

Thanks for the tips. I’m looking for then know, and I’ve been distracted by his lemon pudding cake. Too many choices… 

https://youtu.be/ltJ480JUDwo

Edit: Found it! 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

I’m looking for then know, and I’ve been distracted by his lemon pudding cake. Too many choices… 

https://youtu.be/ltJ480JUDwo

Haven't tried that one.  Looks good though.  Let me know what you think if you try it.   Did you see his drop biscuits.. omg.. they look like Red lobster ..but they are healthier.. but omg.. i want them.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Haven't tried that one.  Looks good though.  Let me know what you think if you try it.   Did you see his drop biscuits.. omg.. they look like Red lobster ..but they are healthier.. but omg.. i want them.

Stop it, will you? Now, I want it all!  :lol: 

just kidding...

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 4
16 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Stop it, will you? Now, I want it all!  :lol: 

just kidding...

i know.. sometimes i just wanna stuff myself..  lol

I'll save the biscuits for chili night

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i know.. sometimes i just wanna stuff myself..  lol

I'll save the biscuits for chili night

Speaking if chili, I’ll be making that soon, so I can freeze it in serving sizes. I was thinking the biscuits would go nicely with the roasted red pepper soup I make. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Speaking if chili, I’ll be making that soon, so I can freeze it in serving sizes. I was thinking the biscuits would go nicely with the roasted red pepper soup I make. 

yep they would be super with soup.. oh, sorry..lol  they'd be great with soup.  hahaha

• Haha 3
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

yep they would be super with soup.. oh, sorry..lol  they'd be great with soup.  hahaha

Quick question. The lemon bar recipe calls for coconut oil. Do you use that butter as a substitute? I have a lot of butter, but no coconut oil, so I was thinking to use that - google says it’s the best substitute- instead. Unsure if there’s a big difference or not - re taste, healthiness.

• Love 2

Hey All

Hope everyone is well.

A rare weekend off work.

Me and Mark attending a family wedding today. The full works. Church service, wedding breakfast and evening do. So we having an overnight stay in the hotel.

Take care all.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Quick question. The lemon bar recipe calls for coconut oil. Do you use that butter as a substitute? I have a lot of butter, but no coconut oil, so I was thinking to use that - google says it’s the best substitute- instead. Unsure if there’s a big difference or not - re taste, healthiness.

Yes, i use butter. I have used coconut oil as i have this giant jar of it.  Mostly I use this for popcorn but i have cooked/baked with it too. It smells amazing!   image.png.9bde292bf4155ebbcff303b6af089717.png

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hey All

Hope everyone is well.

A rare weekend off work.

Me and Mark attending a family wedding today. The full works. Church service, wedding breakfast and evening do. So we having an overnight stay in the hotel.

Take care all.

Ohhhhh, that sounds like fun!!  Have a great time and congrats to the happy couple!

• Love 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yes, i use butter. I have used coconut oil as i have this giant jar of it.  Mostly I use this for popcorn but i have cooked/baked with it too. It smells amazing!  

That is a a big jar.

I can get the PC brand that’s about half that size or stick with butter. The recipes I make call for either butter, coconut oil and a third option that has slipped my mind. I’m thinking the taste would be altered depending which one is used. I’m keen to find that out. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

That is a a big jar.

I can get the PC brand that’s about half that size or stick with butter. The recipes I make call for either butter, coconut oil and a third option that has slipped my mind. I’m thinking the taste would be altered depending which one is used. I’m keen to find that out. 

it does change with what you choose .. coconut oil is suggested for health benefits.. but i wouldn't run out and buy coconut oil if you have butter. My personal opinion is butter is better for baking or BBB for short..lol

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

That is a a big jar.

2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

it does change with what you choose .. coconut oil is suggested for health benefits.. but i wouldn't run out and buy coconut oil if you have butter. My personal opinion is butter is better for baking or BBB for short..lol

I personally have to join the butter bandwagon because butter is better on biscuits, bagels, and bread. After all it's why we have butterscotch not coconutscotch, buttercream frosting not coconutcream frosting... and we can't forget Butterfingers, can you imagine Coconutfingers (shudders).🤣(yeah, I know coconut oil is healthier, but I rarely make cookies so I'll use butter and consider it  treat. Coconut 🤢)

Have a great day everyone and enjoy whatever flavor you prefer!

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i've been making flourless peanut butter cookies lately.. simple and quick to make.

I don't bake, but those biscuits did look good. i made a big batch of chicken salad last weekend. we had the last of it for lunch today on some jalapeno cheddar bread from the farmers market.

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator

@Mikiesboy

So. I made the lemon squares. A commenter in Youtube said she doubled the oatmeal base, so I tried it that way. Not bad, but defo going to make the recipe exactly as Sasha does the next time. They didn’t come out as pretty as Sasha showed us, but they taste quite good, and bonus, my mom likes them too. 

Next time, I’m going to use maple syrup instead of honey. Also, I’m going to make the base ahead of time, so it cools completely. I’m hoping that will stop the topping from - mostly - seeping through, because boy, did it ever as evidenced by the mess under the parchment paper. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

@Mikiesboy

So. I made the lemon squares. A commenter in Youtube said she doubled the oatmeal base, so I tried it that way. Not bad, but defo going to make the recipe exactly as Sasha does the next time. They didn’t come out as pretty as Sasha showed us, but they taste quite good, and bonus, my mom likes them too. 

Next time, I’m going to use maple syrup instead of honey. Also, I’m going to make the base ahead of time, so it cools completely. I’m hoping that will stop the topping from - mostly - seeping through, because boy, did it ever as evidenced by the mess under the parchment paper. 

My favourites!  I've even managed to make them myself.

Frankly, don't recall the filling running through. I just followed what Sasha did (with tim's suggestions as well).  We've never doubled the base and we didn't let it cool completely. It just cooled while the filling was made and then just poured in.  (I'm asking tim about this as I write this).  tim says he makes sure to press it in with wet fingers firmly right up to the corners and sides. 

I'm glad you enjoyed them.  They were the first thing we made from Sasha's site. 

tim wonders if you had to cook the base longer which could have made it shrink a bit.  Ten minutes doesn't seem enough to cook the base thoroughly to him. 

I'm glad you tried them. Hopefully, you'll have more success next time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..