Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

7 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

A careful study would be required, and over time.  One data point I know concerning male teachers is 25 years in the past concerning a local HS teacher/coach who got away with quite a bit with female students.  Everything was swept under the rug when the administration got suspicious, and he quietly quit and went on to another career.  It all came out when he was accused of raping one of his employees and more of his former students came forward.  The only data point I have for female HS teachers with male students is also local but very old, and it supports your hypothesis.  However, my situation was at the college level, and I wonder if the level of tolerance would be different both then and now since one is dealing with (presumably) consenting adults.

2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

however being told your grades would be/could have been better if you 'worked something out' doesn't sound quite right.  sounds like the casting couch to me.  i know a lot about trading sex for a lot of things, money, drugs, food, a bed ... there's a name for that and in most places it's not legal, at the very least it is sexual harassment.

It's a complete double standard down here in Florida. Female teachers get a slap on the wrist, while male teachers are treated a lot harsher. In one case of a Female teacher, the judge said, "You're too pretty to go to jail," before giving her probation for five years. Once the kid turned 18, they started dating again. If I recall correctly, a recent case of a male teacher here in Hillsborough was given 10 years in prison for having sex with underage girls.

For college level, it's against the law too. Due to the Professor being in a position of power over the student.

Also, an interesting law that is still on the books here in Florida... anyone caught having sex for money, shall be banished from the state of Florida for five years, given a bus ticket to head out of State, and the State gives them enough money to settle elsewhere. I've never heard of anyone getting that punishment before, but it was on a crazy law list on a local attorney's website. Along with others, like it's against the law to shower naked.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Site Moderator

Good afternoon everyone and have a great day... :) 

@tim   @Mikiesboy It’s no longer snowing and it’s sunny, so I’ve got my fingers crossed it stays that way. I did appreciate the picture of the snowy tree - very pretty... 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Good afternoon everyone and have a great day... :) 

@tim   @Mikiesboy It’s no longer snowing and it’s sunny, so I’ve got my fingers crossed it stays that way. I did appreciate the picture of the snowy tree - very pretty... 

Can I change my name to tim  lol?

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

28 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Sirs and friends

hoping everyone has a good afternoon

the sun is out and we are enjoying balmy weather in the 50's for the afternoon

Doing well for me, miss molly.

Taking a break from school stuff, and working on my story about my boys.

Our high today was 86F/30C, but this weekend it's predicted we'll be in the mid-60'sF/17-21C. I'll be looking for a Parka and a dogsled. Monday we'll be back up into the 80'sF/30'sC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Hmmm how does.one do that?

I think one of the Admin has to do it for us, once we have the Author Tag. I'm not sure if Reader can do it as a Mod, but I know Renee was offering to change Moggy's name when she was around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Sirs and friends

hoping everyone has a good afternoon

the sun is out and we are enjoying balmy weather in the 50's for the afternoon

Hello molly.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

tomfoolery Audio pronunciation

noun | tahm-FOO-luh-ree  

Definition

:
playful or foolish behavior

In the Middle Ages, Thome Fole was a name assigned to those perceived to be of little intelligence. This eventually evolved into the spelling tomfool, which, when capitalized, also referred to a professional clown or a buffoon in a play or pageant. The name Tom seems to have been chosen for its common-man quality, much like Joe Blow for an ordinary person or Johnny Reb for a soldier in the Confederate army, but tomfoolery need not apply strictly to actions by men. In Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables (1908), for example, Marilla Cuthbert complains of Anne: "She's gadding off somewhere with Diana, writing stories or practicing dialogues or some such tomfoolery, and never thinking once about the time or her duties."

The word I knew.  The origin is fascinating.  Thanks!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

I will leave you all with this Picture.

Reveal hidden contents

Florida-Christmas.jpg?resize=436,478&ssl

EDIT: @Reader1810 if this violates any rules, please delete the post.

Looks okay to me. And if memory serves me correctly, it’s also posted in the original LOL thread in the Games and Humour forum. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Hmmm how does.one do that?

Account Settings in the drop down menu under your name at the top right of the screen. Middle column where it says Change beside Display name. 

I’m not sure if your having author status might make the change more difficult.  I recall that being an impediment for something that wouldn’t be a problem for a member, but I can’t remember what it was. 

I changed my name slightly, but I did it when I was only a member and not well known on GA. Not sure if I wouldn’t mess things up now. 

You could always PM Renee and/or Cia if it would change all over (I’m thinking about your author banner and story headings) things that might not be electronically connected to your account.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

You could always PM Renee and/or Cia if it would change all over (I’m thinking about your author banner and story headings) things that might not be electronically connected to your account.

I do know that Author's can't change our names, because we have the Author status, and that the admin has to do it. I forget the exact reason why, but it's listed in the Help-FAQ topics. I believe it is. A few months ago, I made a comment in my status updates along the lines of "why did I choose the BHopper2 handle? Could be worse, could be stabbed." I was thinking of changing it then too but decided against it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MacGreg said:

Are you really considering changing your name?

I think he should.

There's another Author who goes by "Mikie" on the forums, and I, among others, thought tim and that guy were a couple and both authors on the site. tim corrected me on that when I asked, and that Mike aka MichealS36 was his husband. So, just to avoid confusion for others, it should be changed.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I think he should.

There's another Author who goes by "Mikie" on the forums, and I, among others, thought tim and that guy were a couple and both authors on the site. tim corrected me on that when I asked, and that Mike aka MichealS36 was his husband. So, just to avoid confusion for others, it should be changed.

There are plenty of people named Mike, Michael, Mikie. Doesn't mean tim should change his name. But, not up to me. 

• Like 4

• Site Moderator
12 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I do know that Author's can't change our names, because we have the Author status, and that the admin has to do it. I forget the exact reason why, but it's listed in the Help-FAQ topics. I believe it is. A few months ago, I made a comment in my status updates along the lines of "why did I choose the BHopper2 handle? Could be worse, could be stabbed." I was thinking of changing it then too but decided against it.

Thanks, A. What your saying sounds familiar 

• Like 3

• Site Moderator

51wEEF+2pkL._AA218_.jpgor. 41VXjw0ysTL._AA218_.jpg or 41yylZbu9XL._AA218_.jpg

I don’t know which of these three is the Nescafé Gold you drink @Mikiesboy, but I bought the Espresso one after seeing it in SDM (Loblaws didn’t have any of them). I will say, I didn’t notice it said Espresso on it until after I got home. I’m having some now (with 2 packets of Stevia and a generous dollop of milk) and, I have to say, it sure is yummy. :D

So glad you mentioned it. :thumbup:

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

51wEEF+2pkL._AA218_.jpgor. 41VXjw0ysTL._AA218_.jpg or 41yylZbu9XL._AA218_.jpg

I don’t know which of these three is the Nescafé Gold you drink @Mikiesboy, but I bought the Espresso one after seeing it in SDM (Loblaws didn’t have any of them). I will say, I didn’t notice it said Espresso on it until after I got home. I’m having some now (with 2 packets of Stevia and a generous dollop of milk) and, I have to say, it sure is yummy. :D

So glad you mentioned it. :thumbup:

All good coffee's, but you can't beat Lavazza made fresh with cream and demarara sugar mmmm it's delish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacGreg said:

Are you really considering changing your name?

Mmm possibly Sir. But likely not....too.much confusion i think

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..