The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

2 hours ago, c081huang said:

Your post intrigued me to read @MacGreg's story, and I really like it. I rarely read 2nd person POV stories, let alone attempting to write anything using that POV. When I do read those kind of stories, though, it really helps me to get into the story fast (if it's done properly).

Glad you read and liked the Lessons, c081huang.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

No...imo it should be in 3rd. But...That's just moi.

A perfectly valid opinion. :)

4 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

I need to check out the story tim mentioned.  I also need to read Storms. There is so much to get involved with here I sometimes have trouble choosing.

If I correctly understand what you've said about Storms, I've tried that (not here), writing in first-person of the main character most involved (there were four) as if it were a joint project and they were aware of each other's chapters.  I have mixed feelings about the results. It allowed some interesting side humor where one character could comment (briefly) about the viewpoint of another and allowed for the most complete coverage.  However, even though I started each chapter with text and dialogue that made it clear (to me) who was "writing", I think it confused the reader.  I've sometimes written a first-person chapter from two perspectives, but then picked the one I liked the best.  I've never yet written in third person, and think it would be more of a challenge.

I name the chapters for the character whose point of view it's from. I was going to do it in third person, but in the end first just worked better and got the emotions across better.

3 hours ago, MacGreg said:

I think all POV styles can be interesting if done well. Most writers tend to fall back on first-person narrative because it's easiest. It's good to experiment, mix up writing styles. I personally prefer third-person when reading, but then I wrote Dissonance in third-person limited, which means we see the story through only one character's viewpoint, although it is not first-person. I did stick one chapter in the middle that is third-person POV from a second character's perspective, and I struggled with whether to include it or not, but the creative flow demanded it, so I kept it in. 

Writing lately in second-person POV has been an interesting exercise. 

Most of my stories are written in third person limited. In some I switch between two characters between scenes, but I never switch mid-scene, I don't do omnipotent. I've been using more first person lately than I used to. I use different tenses between stories as well, and between format. I find short stories sometimes work better in present tense, because you get a sense of urgency, while with novels and novellas I prefer past tense. Either way it's fun to switch things up. I've never written in second person... Maybe one day.

3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

You see I'm the exact opposite. I love writing in 3rd-person. Within one scene, I can drop in what one person is thinking and what another one is as well, and have them both looking at the situation differently.

See, this I think gets confusing. At least when I'm writing it myself, I have a hard time keeping up. I stick to limited. It feels more personal as well, and my stories are very character driven.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

agreed Sir stayed on hold on the conference bridge line for 15 minutes

then called his office

he's not available.......sigh........

Discourteous a-hole. 

• Like 3

I feel your frustration Molly.  I planned out my whole units afternoon including lunches for all staff, on the premise we would have a training at 230 and one at 3.  It's a nursing home in it so everyone has to take turns for lunch and provide coverage to their co-workers residents.  

My trainer was 35 minutes late.  

• Wow 3
  • Angry 1
5 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I feel your frustration Molly.  I planned out my whole units afternoon including lunches for all staff, on the premise we would have a training at 230 and one at 3.  It's a nursing home in it so everyone has to take turns for lunch and provide coverage to their co-workers residents.  

My trainer was 35 minutes late.  

oh that is rude too

some people

• Like 1
Just now, BHopper2 said:

Ouch, my Brother...

Hey, how's the pink pony doing?

i'm afraid i dont know about PP cuz i stopped going to work that way. They removed all shelters along like 4 city blocks.. and standing out there isn't fun. So i  walk up the street and go across and then down to work.. just the rev of what i do at night coming home.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yipee.... Freezing rain tomorrow from 7am to 2am...  potentially a snow ice day!

image.png.fbf5706a470bd57f6909ebc477e8554d.png

Ouch! That sucks.

It's kept snowing here... We've probably got like a metre of it now. I'm afraid if I let the cat out she'll just disappear, lol!

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

They removed all shelters along like 4 city blocks..

I'm wanting to ask why they would do that. But, Tampa's HARTLine is just as stupid. Spent $2.5Million on new shelters along one route, and the next year, they changed the route and those shelters are now not used.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I'm wanting to ask why they would do that. But, Tampa's HARTLine is just as stupid. Spent $2.5Million on new shelters along one route, and the next year, they changed the route and those shelters are now not used.

It looks like this

image.png.d12cb2e976aca490f38362751c948650.pngimage.png.5106a183bd478a8aedcdcd826541d292.pngwith hopes it will end up like this:

image.png.7632f8f0435e706a4de08f3d164652b9.pngimage.png.55dca67d5893f9e9aec4af535dc85e83.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

It looks like this

image.png.d12cb2e976aca490f38362751c948650.pngimage.png.5106a183bd478a8aedcdcd826541d292.pngwith hopes it will end up like this:

image.png.7632f8f0435e706a4de08f3d164652b9.pngimage.png.55dca67d5893f9e9aec4af535dc85e83.png

That's my whole city, right there. They're just always building and fixing shit that don't need fixing, while not fixing things that do. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3

It needs doing ... it takes hours to get across Toronto now .. when this is done it will be much faster.. and it will go from one end to the other.. straight across the middle of the city.  .So yeah it's a mess and a pain. but hopefully worth it all in the end.

• Like 4

AHHHH. I see. Light rail stations are normally good.

I wish Tampa would do something like that. They've approved a Privately-owned Railroad to link Tampa to Orlando which will be part of Brightline system of Privately owned and operated Trains in Florida. It'll be done sometime in the next 5 - 10 years.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

It needs doing ... it takes hours to get across Toronto now .. when this is done it will be much faster.. and it will go from one end to the other.. straight across the middle of the city.  .So yeah it's a mess and a pain. but hopefully worth it all in the end.

Here's hoping.

• Like 2

They had to dig up all sorts .. put in new hydro poles.. massive things. They still have to rip up centre of Eglinton to lay the track.. should be a fun time

Gonna have some soup and a sandwich..  back later xo

• Like 3
  • Love 1

They had to dig up all sorts .. put in new hydro poles.. massive things. They still have to rip up centre of Eglinton to lay the track.. should be a fun time

Gonna have some soup and a sandwich..  back later xo

Enjoy your meal! :) 

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..