The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

questions should be why is it happening.. and what to do

5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Totally agree, my Brother. And just throwing money at the problem without a path, is not the answer.

they're trying tiny home villages here in Austin

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/11/community-first-village-homeless-tiny-homes-austin-texas/575611/

• Like 1
  • Love 4

*Takes time to relax some before digging into fat molecule composition chains*

*Goes and reads a chapter for a friend's story*

*Reads a line*

*Nearly dies from from laughing so damn hard*

If I'm dead tomorrow, it's @Backwoods Boy fault.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I tip my hat to you, my friend.

Thanks, but I am just a little cog in a very worthwhile machine.  Though... it's good work.

And I LOVE the tiny houses in Austin.  They're awesome.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

wonderful conversation here tonight, thank you for it. i'm to get ready for bed if i want to watch the end of the hockey game, so i'm off. goodnight, Sirs and friends. sleep well, see you tomorrow

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

wonderful conversation here tonight, thank you for it. i'm to get ready for bed if i want to watch the end of the hockey game, so i'm off. goodnight, Sirs and friends. sleep well, see you tomorrow

good night, molly xoxo

• Like 2

Bedtime for me as well.  Was 71 F for the high today -- will be 55F for the high tomorrow; BUT only a light chance of rain tomorrow (no storms) and rain on Saturday (w. nothing severe).

Going to have to drive up to see the parents and my Aunt on Friday then drive back the same day; and then sneak into the office on Saturday to catch up. Which could be difficult as this is graduation weekend.  Ug.

• Like 3

5 Nuggets of Productivity Wisdom with David Allen

- i've always sort of done this with a 'it's better out than in' kinda of thinking.... i like the wee small voice ... which i used in a story about Michael the Archangel... anyway i like it... :D 

In this week’s episode of Becoming Better, I sit down with the one and only David Allen. David is the author of the mega-bestselling book Getting Things Done, which sparked a personal productivity revolution in 2001. Since then, the book has gone on to sell millions of copies around the world, and has been published in nearly 30 languages. David’s also hosting a massive summit on GTD which he calls the "grand finale" of his career (in Amsterdam; June 20-21; tickets are still available).

I think you’ll dig this episode! As always, in case you don’t have the time or inclination to listen, I’ve included a few of my favorite ideas from our chat below, but there are, of course, a lot of ideas that a simple article like this can’t capture.

A few nuggets we talked about:

1. Your head is for having ideas, not holding them. This is the central tenant of David’s system, and in my opinion, this sticky idea is why his ideas have amassed such a large and loyal following. We have a limited amount of mental bandwidth to give to whatever we’re doing—and we shouldn’t waste any amount of this bandwidth on storing information and unresolved commitments in our head. We need to externalize those into some sort of system.
  2. Mental clarity comes from storing fewer commitments in your mind. There’s a reason why keeping a calendar helps you focus: you no longer have to remember where you have to be, and when you have to be there. That’s stored in your calendar, which you review regularly and get notifications from, and by keeping a calendar you free up mental room for other things. This is why to-do lists are also so powerful: they help clear up even more mental space. The fewer tasks, projects, and unresolved commitments you keep in your mind, the more clearly you’re able to think.
  3. For greater mental clarity, make a list of every single commitment you have on your plate. One great way to clear up mental space is to make a list of all of the tasks and projects you have going on. In our interview, David mentioned that this process may take anywhere from one to six hours, depending on how much you’re juggling. The simple act of capturing these commitments onto a sheet of paper—getting them out of your head—is freeing in and of itself. You’re then able to create a plan for how to follow through on them all, and even create a master list of all of your projects.
  4. You need more mental space as much as you need more time. Our tasks, projects, and commitments will always consume time. But they also consume more mental space than is necessary; we’re constantly recalling what we have to get done when we’re in the middle of something else. As David put it in our conversation: “You don’t need time to have a good idea, or be creative, or innovative, or loving, or present, or strategic—you just need room.”
  5. Listen to the “still small voice” in your head throughout the day. Sometimes when we’re working, there’s a little voice inside our head we ignore, that tells us to take a break—to take a walk around the park when we’ve got 300 emails that have built up, or to have a glass of wine when we haven’t treated ourselves to one in a while. Or to cram for a project, because we have a sudden burst of energy then we can take advantage of. Instead of blindly following your to-do list, or using your email inbox as your to-do list, David recommends listening to what this “still small voice” has to say.
Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, Fae Briona said:

Bedtime for me as well.  Was 71 F for the high today -- will be 55F for the high tomorrow; BUT only a light chance of rain tomorrow (no storms) and rain on Saturday (w. nothing severe).

Going to have to drive up to see the parents and my Aunt on Friday then drive back the same day; and then sneak into the office on Saturday to catch up. Which could be difficult as this is graduation weekend.  Ug.

have a good night Fae.. and i hope tomorrow is a nice day! xo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Someone was wanting to build a housing addition in OKC that was going to be tiny homes -- not for the homeless either, just a "normal" housing addition.  Got a lot of pushback from people afraid it would look "like a trailer park" or "decrease their property values" blah blah blah. Not sure how it turned out. I'll have to look it up.  I know the developer was taking a lot of effort to show how they were going to be built and look just like any other home - just smaller.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Sleep Well, miss molly.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Sleep Well, Fae

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

5 Nuggets of Productivity Wisdom with David Allen

- i've always sort of done this with a 'it's better out than in' kinda of thinking.... i like the wee small voice ... which i used in a story about Michael the Archangel... anyway i like it... :D 

Those nuggets are great advice. I'll need to look up the podcast. Also, did you publish that Archangel story?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Those nuggets are great advice. I'll need to look up the podcast. Also, did you publish that Archangel story?

no .. i've never published it anywhere ... it's called Of God and Angels ... it's my take on the theory that Michael is actually Jesus.

• Love 3

52 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

no .. i've never published it anywhere ... it's called Of God and Angels ... it's my take on the theory that Michael is actually Jesus.

I would love to read that. If you ever did publish it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

I thank you all for your comments about the homeless ordinance. I was once a "not in my backyard" person, even though I myself lived on the streets for a time. After some soul searching, I changed my mind. Criminalizing someone for being homeless is dehumanizing them, and if someone needs a place to rest their head, I won't be the person who says "not in my backyard." Not until the root causes of why they're homeless is addressed and positive actions put into play. The opposition to the ordinance was funded by big corps and city-funded businesses who don't want the ugliness of homelessness to tarnish our beautiful streets. At one point, police were confiscating blankets and sleeping bags right off of people, ordered by the mayor. 

I'll shut up now before I get reprimanded by admin.

The Avs lost. I'm going to bed. 

Love you all. 

What the Mayor is doing, is wrong on so many levels.

Sleep well, Mac.
We love you too.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I would love to read that. If you ever did publish it. 🙂

You can read it...it's very short and not worth posting.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..