The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

• Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

no from me ... not a lover of salt, or salty things.  i do add some when cooking but no, i will not be salt perfectly good food.  that's just my opinion .. please do not jump on me for having one.  If you like to salt things, please be by guest. I will not stop you.

Same here with not adding salt to food. I love salt n’ vinegar chips, but that’s really as far as it goes for me. Well that and the corn niblets, which I add margarine to and then I like to mix them with mashed potatoes - yum! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

morning Sir, the salt is supposed to bring out the sweetness

Good morning, molly. Like tim, I don't add salt to much. But... I'm willing to try almost anything* once.

(*not everything)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

Same here with not adding salt to food. I love salt n’ vinegar chips, but that’s really as far as it goes for me. Well that and the corn niblets, which I add margarine to and then I like to mix them with mashed potatoes - yum! 

When Peter came to live here.. he would dump salt on everything .. we just used regular table salt then.  To stop that we bought a salt grinder ... that reduced his salt habit and he still uses one in his own place now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Doing great. How's your day so far?

just quiet so far, Sir.  it's just stopped raining but i think we will likely just stay home today.  doing a bit of editing and wrote some poems.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

When Peter came to live here.. he would dump salt on everything .. we just used regular table salt then.  To stop that we bought a salt grinder ... that reduced his salt habit and he still uses one in his own place now. 

that's very clever!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, mollyhousemouse said:

that's very clever!

i have used it to get a teaspoon of salt ... it takes a long time.  We buy sea salt, which isn't as harsh as table salt ... again my opinion.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

not a fan of ginger, but i'm game to try it once. never cooked with mango, only to make a mango salsa for chicken

My old house I had 3 mango trees in the back, during season, the squirrels and I ate our fill and there where still leftovers. I have some great mango recipes. I once made enough chutney it lasted a year eating it regularly. I think I may still have mason jars left over. 

Try mango salsa on grilled salmon. Fresh mango daiquiris can be dangerous. Frozen mango slices are a great summer treat, like ice cream without adding calories. If you want sugar, mango flan or cheesecake!

@Reader1810 I think it's an illusion created by contrasting salt with the watermelon's sugar. Give it a try.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I love salt. I don't often put it on my food these days, but I can recall many times as a child pouring salt in my palm and licking it.  

I also ate playdoh as a kid.  

I probably had a mineral deficiency. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2

@mollyhousemouse

Here's my ignorance showing, Molly. Do Mexicans use plantains the way Central American and Caribbean people do? To stones and mariquitas require salt! Although I prefer using garlic salt on those. 

And fresh avocados when you eat them by the slice! Although lime (not lemon) juice or a light vinegar (rice) help highlight the flavor too.

It all about what we like though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i have used it to get a teaspoon of salt ... it takes a long time.  We buy sea salt, which isn't as harsh as table salt ... again my opinion.

I've heard it's the iodine in table salt that makes it have that harsh afterbite 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

I can’t figure how salt would make it taste sweeter, but I’ll take your word for it. Who knows, I may try it after all...maybe. 

It's the salty sweet counterpoint thingy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Tim have you ever tried Himalayan pink salt? 

i tried it once at Peter's  .. it's nice

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

@MacGreg Sir, friends, excuse me please. i need to get dressed to leave

hope it's a good day where you are

Have a wonderful day, molly. See you later.

• Like 4

• Site Moderator
54 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

He’s a young’n. He’ll out grow this habit. Some day...

• Like 4

• Site Moderator
26 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I love salt. I don't often put it on my food these days, but I can recall many times as a child pouring salt in my palm and licking it.  

I also ate playdoh as a kid.  

I probably had a mineral deficiency. Lol 

I’d say that’s a weird way to salt, but one of my cousins eats lemons like they were eating an orange. Chalk it up to unique taste bud is my thought. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I’d say that’s a weird way to salt, but one of my cousins eats lemons like they were eating an orange. Chalk it up to unique taste bud is my thought. 

My gran used to drink vinegar ... not sure why

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Apple cider vinegar? Is supposed to have health benefits. 

no it would have been malt , and this was years ago.. when she would have been a young girl.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..