Open Club  ·  138 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

Just now, Albert1434 said:

Aloha Dughlas hope your well today:hug::kiss:

Greetings Albert. Not too bad thank you. We had a nice day. Mum and I went to church, then brunch some place we gone for dinner but never Sunday brunch. It was very good. Mum had a yogurt bowl, yeah a soup plate size bowl, with granola, toasted nuts, fresh fruit - sliced apple, and assorted berries, drizzled with local honey. I had an omelet with fresh shrimp, baby spinach, fresh diced tomato and goat cheese served with breakfast potatoes and a biscuit w/blackberry jam. After brunch I took her to do a little shopping. We got home mid-afternoon.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, Headstall said:

Rationally, I know that, but it's pretty spooky when you're on a quiet road all alone. If Cookie was to take off after a fox, which she did once when she was with my son, she could be in danger. What can I say... I'm a worrier, just like my mom. :( 

Here is the woodpecker I saw...  Scientific Name: Dryocopus pileatus

Description:
At an average 18" in length, the pileated is the largest woodpecker in Canada. These colossal birds, with their striking red crest and resemblance to prehistoric pterodactyls in flight, are thought to be the inspiration for the once popular cartoon Woody the Woodpecker. As Woody had his loud laugh, pileated woodpeckers also make noise to match their size. Their drumming, reminiscent of construction machinery, can be heard up to a kilometre away.

It is fairly easy to recognize a pileated woodpecker by its large size and the red crest on its head. The body is predominantly black, with thick black and white stripes reaching from the bill to the wing and chest area. The red 'moustache' along the cheek distinguishes males from females.  ................ 

The one I saw wasn't quite 18 inches... probably more like 14 inches... must be accurate for the ladies. :P 

Image result for red headed woodpecker"

Very cool. I've only ever seen them in photos but occassionally one is spotted in my home area.

You do know that when you say 14 inches they think what you really saw was a hummingbird.

• Haha 5

Just now, dughlas said:

Very cool. I've only ever seen them in photos but occassionally one is spotted in my home area.

You do know that when you say 14 inches they think what you really saw was a hummingbird.

Yeah, probably. :P 

He was really cool. I've seen other kinds before, but not a 'Woody Woodpecker.' Seen lots of woodies, though. ;) 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Headstall said:

It was... the amount of coyote tracks I've been seeing on both sides of me freaks me out, though. I'm worried about Cookie... and me, when I'm out walking. :unsure2:  I haven't seen any tracks in my woods, though... just lots of rabbits and squirrels, and either a fox or a weasel. 

I wouldn't worry too much. Coyotes are cowards, and they don't usually like to get near humans. Moreover, they're typically nocturnal, so the odds of seeing any during the day are very slim.  :hug:

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Yeah, probably. :P 

He was really cool. I've seen other kinds before, but not a 'Woody Woodpecker.' Seen lots of woodies, though. ;) 

I've seen a number of Pileated Woodpeckers near my parents' house over the years. They're YUUUUUGE!   :blink: Fortunately, they never attempted to dine on any "bugs" beneath the cedar shakes on the house.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

I wouldn't worry too much. Coyotes are cowards, and they don't usually like to get near humans. Moreover, they're typically nocturnal, so the odds of seeing any during the day are very slim.  :hug:

I've seen two during the day over the years, and there have now been verified attacks against humans. The problem is, their habitat is mixed with ours now. That makes them more brazen around people. Even timber wolves are moving south because of loss of their historic ranges. :( 

• Like 1
  • Wow 4

6 minutes ago, Headstall said:

That makes them more brazen around people.

I do recall hearing a news report two or three years ago. Citizens in the suburbs of Los Angeles have been attacked in broad daylight.   :(

• Like 3

Coyotes are curious animals, and mostly they do their various activities near human habits. That’s why many ask the question; are coyotes dangerous to humans? Yes, they are and can cause real danger to humans. Mainly, when they feel threatened, they may attack humans and also cause violence and chaos.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..