Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

1 minute ago, Albert1434 said:

I am taking the same pills your taking same amount:yes: And no blood test so far

How did he reach the diagnosis without testing your blood?

My GP took bloods on three separate occasions before confirming I was Type 2 diabetic and putting me on medication. Mind you, she did tell me after the first sets had been examined that she suspected I might be Type 2. It was three weeks (or possibly more) before she confirmed the diagnosis.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I decided to check my blood sugar as a result of this chat. 

It reads 8.8 mmols/l (I think they use a different measurement your side of the Pond).

That's just  little higher than I would prefer, but I did have a slice of banana cake not too long ago. I like to keep it under 8.

Usually, if I test it first thing in the morning, before breakfast it is between 4 and 5. If I test it an hour or two after a meal, it is normally between 6 and 7.

My doctor did tell me about 4 months after my diagnosis that I am allowed to treat myself at times. I think she was worried that I was losing weight a little too quickly.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator
39 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

My doctor appt. turned out poorly. I have Diabetes type 2:yes:

:hug:  It's a tough diagnosis to hear, but you can control it with a proper diet and possibly medication.  I've been able to manage mine with no meds and by following a low carb diet.  :hug: 

You Got This Dos Equis GIF

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Site Administrator
28 minutes ago, Marty said:

I'm on metformin (also known as glucophage). One 500mg tablet, twice a day.

Has he given (or suggested you get) a blood sugar test kit? I have one. Simple enough to use (and not painful). I seldom bother with it these days, but whenever I do, the sugar levels are well within acceptable limits.

Long term high blood sugar levels can affect the retina - hence the eye doctor. I have my retinas checked every twelve months.

Excessive eating, or eating the wrong foods, can raise the blood sugar level. Hence the dietician.

Trust me on this, Albert: If you follow the doctor's suggestions, Type 2 diabetes is not a death sentence. 

26 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

I am taking the same pills your taking same amount:yes: And no blood test so far

I was put on Metformin when I was first diagnosed, but it wreaked havoc with my digestive system so I had to stop taking it.  My doctor was happy with how much my levels dropped and my assurance I could stick to an appropriate diet.  It's worked so far, although I'd like to see my fasting blood sugar levels lower.  She's never had me test my blood sugar other than during my routine bloodwork.  My next appointment is in April, so I'm hoping my numbers have remained good or dropped.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

There's a sticker on the windshield which says the month and year it expires.

Same in France, except it's every 2 years for every vehicles over 5 years old. I'll have to do mine - well my car's not mine mine :P as I'm in perfect state, no pieces change thank you very much - next January. 

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator
47 minutes ago, Marty said:

I have to admit that I went into a mini depression at the time. But I hardly ever even think about it these days - apart from just being a little more careful with my sugar intake than I used to be. I honestly think the diagnosis did me good in the long run. I look upon it as having been a sort of wake-up call. Without it, I would probably still be eating all the wrong things, and not getting enough exercise.

:yes:  Same here.  I was extremely upset when I was first diagnosed.  I've used it to make positive changes in my life, so overall it's worked out well. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I was put on Metformin when I was first diagnosed, but it wreaked havoc with my digestive system so I had to stop taking it.  My doctor was happy with how much my levels dropped and my assurance I could stick to an appropriate diet.  It's worked so far

I'm fortunate in that I have ever suffered any side-effects from metformin.

My current doctor took me off it for twelve months around four years or so back. My blood sugar levels rose ever so slightly over the next two blood test he took (six months apart), so he put me back on it as a precaution. Every time he takes blood he says my sugar level is perfect, and that if he didn't know I was diabetic, he wouldn't know looking at the results. I'm thinking that if he says the same thing after the next test, I may suggest to him that I try going drug free again...

I should have had bloods taken back in January. The doctor put those off at the time, due to concerns over possible Covid-19 infection risks. He told me on the telephone that, as I have been managing the diabetes so well, he had no concern about delaying the tests in my case. We are hoping to see an easing of restrictions after Easter, so I may give him a ring and see if we can get those tests done.

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..