Account Settings FOLLOWING

Go to solution Solved by Talo Segura,

I updated my account settings as shown here 

by @northie and my followed stories appeared. I checked the switches to toggle on Followed Stories and Followed Authors. I went to @Marty and then to @Mikiesboy and checked their boxes to Follow Author.

When I look at my profile I do not have FOLLOWED AUTHORS which should show those two authors. Can someone check to see if I did something wrong or it doesn't work, because I don't think I did anything wrong and it might be a bug?

Thanks, Tal.

If this is a bug, here is my info:

Galaxy Tab S2 using Samsung Internet Browser and Android 7.0 operating system.

Edited by Talo Segura
Tablet, browser, operating system.

I haven't (as far as I can remember) followed any authors using the Accounts Settings switches that you and Northie have mentioned. As far as I can remember, whenever I wish to follow someone I simply click on Follow Member on their profile page.

I realise this doesn't answer your question, @Talo Segura, because this then, on my profile page, shows all members I follow, whether they be authors or not.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I haven't (as far as I can remember) followed any authors using the Accounts Settings switches that you and Northie have mentioned. As far as I can remember, whenever I wish to follow someone I simply click on Follow Member on their profile page.

I realise this doesn't answer your question, @Talo Segura, because this then, on my profile page, shows all members I follow, whether they be authors or not.

yeah that's what i do ... simple and done. i'm afraid i don't look at a lot of the setting and things.

@Marty @Mikiesboy If I look at your profiles you both list on the left hand side followed stories and followed authors, so you must both have toggled those switches on in you account settings. I simply did the same, but it didn't work for followed authors, only followed stories.

What is this all about anyhow? Well if either of you wrote that you liked an author or a story, then trusting your opinion, if I was looking for something new to read, I'd look at those authors and stories you both followed because that would be a good recommendation rather than randomly picking a book.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Remember, the 'Follow Authors' section on your profile means you have followed those members on their profiles and will receive notifications on ALL their content updates. It's like... high level stalking. It used to be IP Board's 'Friends' list. It's separate from GA Stories following options which are primarily to allow you to follow a story and receive notifications when the story or content is updated.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Cia said:

Remember, the 'Follow Authors' section on your profile means you have followed those members on their profiles and will receive notifications on ALL their content updates. It's like... high level stalking. It used to be IP Board's 'Friends' list. It's separate from GA Stories following options which are primarily to allow you to follow a story and receive notifications when the story or content is updated.

Deja vu all over again! :P

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Cia said:

Remember, the 'Follow Authors' section on your profile means you have followed those members on their profiles and will receive notifications on ALL their content updates.

There are several FOLLOW options and it would seem logical it works like this (but I may be wrong):

Follow story = updates on story postings, chapters and comments

Follow author = updates on the author's new story postings, chapters and comments

Follow member = updates on everything that member comments on or anything else they do

The first two, follow story and follow author, if toggled on in your account settings on your profile should show the books and authors you have followed, listed on the left hand side of your profile view. Exactly the same as if you toggle on editors and beta readers, they all should be shown on your profile.

I have toggled on stories and authors. I follow some stories and some authors. The stories I follow appear in my profile, the authors I follow do not appear.

Looking at other people's profiles I see the stories and authors they follow, for those who have turned that feature on in their account settings, are shown in their profile view.

Therefore, if you toggle on in account settings, show followed authors, and they do not appear in your profile view, it's  a bug?

• Site Administrator

You are showing followed stories on your profile, @Talo Segura . How did you follow the authors? I do see that in your notifications that you have set it to show both on your profile. Did you search an author so you were looking at their entire story listing and follow them via the follow option at the top of the list? Not just one story, not just their profile. And if you did this, which author(s) did you follow? If there is a bug, we will need to see if there are other members who aren't showing their followed authors and stories on their profiles or if this is an issue with the author accounts that you tried to follow. I just tested it, and adding a new author I'm following did show up on my profile in the right section by following the author on their story listing. 

Before I followed Andy78

author listing 1.png

After I followed Andy78

author listing 2.png

• Solution
11 hours ago, Cia said:

How did you follow the authors?

@Cia I am following two authors @Marty and @Mikiesboy I am also following Marty as Follow Member.

For both people, I went to their profile, clicked Stories, then at the top of their list of stories page where it says author author, I checked Follow to Follow each of those two authors.

So for my member account it says that I am following Marty as Follow Member, Follow Author, and Follow some individual stories. For Mikiesboy I am only Follow Author.

I think that explains it. The followed stories show, but not the followed authors, they are both toggled on.

PS. I think if you are showing Followed Authors on your profile it is not a problem, the bug is that when you join as a new member, in account settings the four switches for show editors, show beta readers, show followed stories, show followed authors are toggled off. When you turn them on, they all work except the followed authors. To test my theory you need to open a new account, follow an Author, toggle on followed authors in account settings and see if it shows on the profile.

Edited by Talo Segura
PS to test for bug
  • Site Administrator
On 8/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, Talo Segura said:

PS. I think if you are showing Followed Authors on your profile it is not a problem, the bug is that when you join as a new member, in account settings the four switches for show editors, show beta readers, show followed stories, show followed authors are toggled off. When you turn them on, they all work except the followed authors. To test my theory you need to open a new account, follow an Author, toggle on followed authors in account settings and see if it shows on the profile.

Thank you for the additional information. Just an FYI: Please don't create 2nd accounts at any time. If a member thinks they have an issue with their account, profile or settings, or gets an error message, they should please let us know here like you did. Members creating a 2nd account violates GA guidelines. We do have test accounts or the capability to use different settings to view the site as different groups to test for bugs if necessary. 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator
5 minutes ago, Fae Briona said:

Not quite the same thing, but I've thought it would be nice to be able to follow story groups (like the "Charlie Boone" stories by Geron Kees, just as a random example) and not just the Author as a whole.

You can in a way, @Fae Briona. If you use the Activities drop menu and set up a new Activity Stream and use the variety of options to customize your new stream to follow a series/author. You can set the options to a series (under Content Types) by the particular author by using the Ownership option to select "Content by specific members" and then fill in the author name in the author field that appears. You can set the other options to your preferences, then you will get a stream and notifications based on your notifications for activity streams (notifications, emails, etc...). 

18 minutes ago, Cia said:

You can in a way, @Fae Briona. If you use the Activities drop menu and set up a new Activity Stream and use the variety of options to customize your new stream to follow a series/author. You can set the options to a series (under Content Types) by the particular author by using the Ownership option to select "Content by specific members" and then fill in the author name in the author field that appears. You can set the other options to your preferences, then you will get a stream and notifications based on your notifications for activity streams (notifications, emails, etc...). 

Just looked through that.  Found what I assume is "series" [stories_series_pl] but there's no way to specify a title, and so would return all series by the selected author; and tags would require the author to be consistent in their use across all stories in the series, which is rarely the case; and tags that don't overlap with stories in another series, which is often the case.

• Site Administrator

@Fae Briona  Umm... how about you use the "Content I haven't read" and "Only content I follow" option, don't follow any of the author's other series and BOOM! You should only get notifications for new updates to the series story you follow for the author. The only time that would be a problem would be when the author finishes a story and starts a new one, but if you're actively following that, you should notice a story ending. If they're an author worth their snuff, at least. :P I mean, me personally, I'd do content items, just follow the author as a default, and use the content I haven't read since my last visit option with expanded view so I can see what the author I like posted since I was there last and be able to tell at a single glance what series it came from since details would be visible in the stream. But I like to see lots of info in one go, not have a lot of steams that are separate, if I like someone's writing.