Experiences with the Covid-19 Pandemic

I haven't had any experiences, but my nephew and his wife did last year while she was pregnant with their first child. They both got it. My sister had gastric bypass surgery in the same town at the time/ Her son and daughter in law did not know they had it and was at their baby shower. My sister was there but she was hurting and didn't stay very long and never got close to anyone. Then she found out that they had it and it scared her. Everyone at the shower got it but my sister and everyone survived which we all was thankful of! Then this week, I was outside and seen a neighbor drive up to my house and rolled down her window. She told me that her stepdad had passed away. I was shocked. I asked what happened and she told me she had gotten covid and since she lived with her stepdad and mom, then they contracted from her. Her mom was ok now but her stepdad didn't make it. When I made an appointment to get my driver's license renewed next week, then I realized that I put it on Monday, the same day as the funeral of my neighbor. The appointment is at 11 am and the funeral is at 2 pm. Hope I am through at the DVM office before 2 pm since I promised to be there! 

• Like 3

Today I found out that a close friend of mine and my sister's from school passed away from pneumonia from Covid! I hope this pandemic will hurry up and get over with! It is getting bad! I feel like a prisoner in my own home and also one when I go anywhere since I have to wear a mask, even though I have been vaccinated. I wear one for my own peace of mind.

• Like 4

My grandmother contracted it last year in her long term care facility, she's 95 years old and survived it. Her nursing home though is now understaffed for normal operations due to the needs of a specialized COVID wing. However, she still lives and struggles through all of this. She survived World War II British Burma under Japanese occupation, survived Nationalist Pogroms in Burma to cleanse Ethnic Chinese in the late 1940's, survived Communist rule in Mainland China and Cultural Revolution as a Teacher, and survived losing family including her father, mother, and my late aunt through these major and minor events in the 20th century. My grandmother does not know when to stop fighting for survival, which is a blessing and a curse at times.

I hate this pandemic, I hate what it has done to our daily lives. I still work from home, but I would rather be back in my office, where I can see the results of my efforts rather than spreadsheets telling me the results. Despite the stereotype, Accountants are not people who only care about numbers, we actually care about what we dedicate our time and energy to keep organize and process.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Story Reader said:

Today I found out that a close friend of mine and my sister's from school passed away from pneumonia from Covid! I hope this pandemic will hurry up and get over with! It is getting bad! I feel like a prisoner in my own home and also one when I go anywhere since I have to wear a mask, even though I have been vaccinated. I wear one for my own peace of mind.

Today I found out even though my sister had her 2nd dose of phizer in April that she is now quarantined at her apartment with Covid!

• Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 3

We've been fortunate.  My niece and nephew both contracted the virus, but we have been able to keep my ninety-year-old father safe, so far.  He has repeatedly tested negative, as have my sister and I.  A dear friend of mine, who is a nurse-practitioner, came down with the virus a few weeks after her second shot, and she credits the vaccine with her survival (she is in her seventies, still working, and still going strong).  I am hoping that, should Dad become infected, he will be equally fortunate and also have a mild case.

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

My boyfriend and I both got it about a month and a half ago, despite the fact we are both fully vaccinated. The weekend before we tested positive, we had been to a packed nightclub one night, and then a 2,000 person party two nights later. He started showing symptoms less than a week after that, and then I started showing the same the next day. Even though I am vaccinated, I still had a fever, headache, fatigue, and body aches for the first couple days. Being quarantined in an apartment for 10 days in the dead of summer when everyone else is out having fun really sucked. 

Because I live in New York, I'd say probably 60-70% of my friends have been infected, but luckily none of them seriously. I'm surprised it took me this long to get it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@TetRefine  Glad you didn't have to go to the hospital!  The Covid-D variant is notorious for putting out huge amounts of virus and that large viral load is the reason for the increasing number of breakthrough infections and why the CDC recommends masks and social distancing even for the vaccinated in hotspots.  However, I'm surprised at the large percentage of your friends who have been infected and glad none of them got seriously ill. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In February of 2020 many people at my church got “the crud”. It was headache, fever and aches. Everyone got over it in a week at most. It wasn’t until one of our members took a blood antibody test that we figured out we had it before it was fashionable. No one including our elderly got worse than a modest case.

My entire family were infected with it a month ago or so. My two siblings that are currently enrolled in college tested positive. They were both fully vaccinated. My mother and my younger siblings and nephews that are currently living with her all caught it as well. My Mother's two sisters that visited before any of us had symptoms also caught it, they had to be hospitalized. My Mother developed pneumonia, but received home care and oxygen at home she probably should have been hospitalized, but she refused to go and leave everyone that lives with her alone.

I am fully vaccinated, I had to be for my job - Pfizer. I was one of the first of my family to develop symptoms, I thought it was a sinus infection. They told us that it was likely someone with mild symptoms or someone asymptomatic that lived in either household that brought the virus into the homes.

As for me, I still have symptoms - mostly just excess phlegm, headaches, fatigue. Although I never developed a cough, I had headaches, my ears were clogged, I lost my taste/smell, I ran a fever off and on for two weeks, sore throat, muscle aches, and my mind seemed to be in a fog, I was forgetful, dizzy, etc. That could've been stress related though and I lost twenty pounds, I still haven't recovered my physical strength. Aside from my mother and her two sisters, one of my daughters was the worst hit. She had a severe cough, lost her taste/smell, sore throat, vomiting/diarrhea, some difficulty breathing. It scared her and it scared me. I also had to jump between my home and my mother's home to make sure everyone was improving, fed, bathed, etc. We thought about just turning our living room and such into one large bedroom and try to move everyone in, but it would have been very crowded. The people here who know me best, know I have a large family.

I hope for no long term or hidden effects and I hope not to do this again. That is why I haven't been here or posting. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
4 minutes ago, Krista said:

My entire family were infected with it a month ago or so. My two siblings that are currently enrolled in college tested positive. They were both fully vaccinated. My mother and my younger siblings and nephews that are currently living with her all caught it as well. My Mother's two sisters that visited before any of us had symptoms also caught it, they're had to be hospitalized. My Mother developed pneumonia, but received home care and oxygen at home she probably should have been hospitalized, but she refused to go and leave everyone that lives with her alone.

I am fully vaccinated, I had to be for my job - Pfizer. I was one of the first of my family to develop symptoms, I thought it was a sinus infection. They told us that it was likely someone with mild symptoms or someone asymptomatic that lived in either household that brought the virus into the homes.

As for me, I still have symptoms - mostly just excess phlegm, headaches, fatigue. Although I never developed a cough, I had headaches, my ears were clogged, I lost my taste/smell, I ran a fever off and on for two weeks, sore throat, muscle aches, and my mind seemed to be in a fog, I was forgetful, dizzy, etc. That could've been stress related though and I lost twenty pounds, I still haven't recovered my physical strength. Aside from my mother and her two sisters, one of my daughters was the worst hit. She had a severe cough, lost her taste/smell, sore throat, vomiting/diarrhea, some difficulty breathing. It scared her and it scared me. I also had to jump between my home and my mother's home to make sure everyone was improving, fed, bathed, etc. We thought about just turning our living room and such into one large bedroom and try to move everyone in, but it would have been very crowded. The people here who know me best, know I have a large family.

I hope for no long term or hidden effects and I hope not to do this again. That is why I haven't been here or posting. 

Hope you get to feeling better! My sister has recovered completely even though she scared her son half to death one day when she didn't return his calls or texts. He told her he wasn't worried when she finally texted him back later telling him she had been sleeping. He told her when she got completely better that he had thought she had died and was fixing to tell his boss he had to go check on his mom. But she texted him as soon as he thought of it.

• Like 1