Sky's The Limit by captainrick

Rick,

Chapter 9 is so cool. :great: Sarah is great, and she's going to be the safety valve for Jonah. And the way Jonah told Lori that he's gay was exactly right. But if I were Jonah I'd be more worried about telling Dex. He seems cautious, but Lori's comment about Dex maybe going out for football and being in with the jocks is worrisome. The trip to Jackson is set. But I have this awful gut feeling that something's going to happen in Jackson. Arrgh! Hey, we've had 3 quiet chapters, it's time for Rick to sent a rocket slamming into our brains! :ranger:

I love they way you integrated Marc Broussard's The Beauty of Who You Are into the story, and into the post of the story using the Wimpy Button. Very cool!

Colin :boy:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick,

Chapter 9 is so cool. :great: Sarah is great, and she's going to be the safety valve for Jonah. And the way Jonah told Lori that he's gay was exactly right. But if I were Jonah I'd be more worried about telling Dex. He seems cautious, but Lori's comment about Dex maybe going out for football and being in with the jocks is worrisome. The trip to Jackson is set. But I have this awful gut feeling that something's going to happen in Jackson. Arrgh! Hey, we've had 3 quiet chapters, it's time for Rick to sent a rocket slamming into our brains! :ranger:

I love they way you integrated Marc Broussard's The Beauty of Who You Are into the story, and into the post of the story using the Wimpy Button. Very cool!

Thanks guys! Yeah, these last couple of Chapters have been more laid back. They're all about a growing love, "closet issues", fear, and, well, relationships. That's what this part of the book is about. There's still 20 more chapters to go. -- not a spoiler, just a message that there's ALOT more story. I know, the Gulf Shores chapters were a whirlwind. These chapters gives us a chance to learn about these two characters -- and friends and family before IT happens. At least that's my goal. After IT happens, well . . . that would be a spoiler.

Thanks for reading guys!

:hug:

Rick

Chapter 10 is up!

That was really sweet, Rick! I loved it!

I especially liked the little insecurities, becuase those are so darn real. I love the way Sky and Jonah can communicate. :2thumbs:

Uhoh, though: Going to see Sky's Mom? She's the Fundi! Yipes, that does not sound good, not at all.

I'm calling this one a cliffhanger!

Ch 12 is online!!!!

Wow. This is absolutely my favorite chapter so far. I'm going to be vague here (I encourage everyone to read the chapter, it even works as a stand-alone story if you aren't reading STL) to avoid spoiling it (I'll comment more later) but, wow, several surprises in a row! That is fantastic!!

Rick,

OMG, chapter 12 is wonderful! Fantastic! I loved it!!

WARNING!

Unrepentant spoilers follow!

If you haven't read Sky's the Limit chapter 12, do so now! :read:

Once you've read chapter 12, you can scroll down and read.

Jonah's been outed! And by Lori! By accident! Isn't that like girls, blurting stuff when they shouldn't? Maybe that's sexist, but I think it's accurate!

I loved Dex's reaction. My best friend (after my BF, of course) is gay and has a BF, so I've never had Jonah's problem of having to figure out how to tell a straight best friend that you're gay. But what happened seemed very realistic, especially after all of Dex's homophobic comments. Turns out that, like lots of teens, he was just mouthing off and didn't mean what his words made it sound like he meant. I thought it was amusing (and, again, very realistic) that he expected Jonah to know his real inner feelings. Without ever having expressed them to Jonah. Shows how self-centered we teens are. Me, too, lots of times! :lol:

Chapter 11 was a quiet precursor to chapter 12. Now that Jonah is out to Lori and Dex, what's next? I can't even guess! But I know it's going to continue to hold my interest. And I'm so glad that you're posting so often. Thank you!

I agree with Colin!

That was my favorite chapter! :2thumbs:

This was a perfect scene, and very unexpected (by me anyway). I loved the reaction, especially Dex's "got something to tel me?". I implied that he was freaked out, and the scene in the park was a classic!!

Lori's blurt out was also a classic, and sooo beleivable.

Thanks Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!

:music::great::2thumbs::worship::2thumbs:

I agree with Colin!

That was my favorite chapter! :2thumbs:

This was a perfect scene, and very unexpected (by me anyway). I loved the reaction, especially Dex's "got something to tel me?". I implied that he was freaked out, and the scene in the park was a classic!!

Lori's blurt out was also a classic, and sooo beleivable.

Thanks Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!

:music::great::2thumbs::worship::2thumbs:

Hrmm... I didn't get the implied freak out when i read, If anything I thought the other way around. To me it seemed Dex was being rational with the revelation. As far as responses go it could have been far worse. I'd give examples but Im sure our minds can think up a myriad of possible response which are less then amicable.

All and all Im loving the story so far Rick, i'd only have a few criticisims but they are minor indeed. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Steve

Great chapter! :2thumbs:

Poor Dex. That is a no-win situation, for sure. I hope they can patch things up!

In this chapter and others, you capture the patois of southern teens excellently! I love it!

Zach sounds like he will be very interesting!

I wonder though, is Lori as accepting of Jonah's sexuality as she seems?

CJ

Poor Dex. That is a no-win situation, for sure. I hope they can patch things up!

I assume you mean chapter 13? Yeah, another excellent chapter. I hope Jonah has the sense not to push Dex - give him more time to deal with it, but he's a teenager and he probably doesn't have the insight to give Dex some space.

I assume you mean chapter 13? Yeah, another excellent chapter. I hope Jonah has the sense not to push Dex - give him more time to deal with it, but he's a teenager and he probably doesn't have the insight to give Dex some space.

Chapter 13 has introduced a new topic: how do kids who know someone who's gay and accept it because they don't have "gay attributes" not accept someone else, regardless of their orientation, who has what they think are "gay attributes"? This is an important topic for teens of all genders and orientations. It's probably important for adults, too.

It will be interesting to see how Rick develops this topic, how the relationship between best friends Dex and Jonah develops or changes. It turns out that maybe Dex's homophobic comments wasn't just mouthing off and he actually did mean what his words made it sound like he meant. He is a football jock, but it isn't apparent if he's been one of Doug Morris's "football buddies". Poor Dex, having to choose between his best friend and his jock friends. Poor Jonah, who may or may not lose his best friend. The next few chapters should prove interesting.

Then there's Zack. A new character! Who's straight (maybe?) but looks "faggy" according to his tormentors and even Dex. It will be interesting to hear from some of the young guys on GA about the reaction of HS kids in the deep South to kids who are and kids who look gay.

Chapter 13 is great. Sky's the Limit is a great story. And I'm sure future chapters will be just as good. Will Lori become a peacemaker for Jonah and Dex? Will Jonah be outed by befriending Zach? What if he is outed and his dad hears about it? What will Doug Morris do when he realizes that Jonah and Lori, and even Dex, have invited Zach to sit at their table at lunch? Will Jonah have to use his Third Degree skills once again? What about Sky? What's he been up to? How will he react to his new step-mother, and how will that affect his relationship with his father? What other new surprises will Rick provide in future chapters? I, for one, can hardly wait!

Chapter 13 has introduced a new topic: how do kids who know someone who's gay and accept it because they don't have "gay attributes" not accept someone else, regardless of their orientation, who has what they think are "gay attributes"? This is an important topic for teens of all genders and orientations. It's probably important for adults, too.

It will be interesting to see how Rick develops this topic, how the relationship between best friends Dex and Jonah develops or changes. It turns out that maybe Dex's homophobic comments wasn't just mouthing off and he actually did mean what his words made it sound like he meant. He is a football jock, but it isn't apparent if he's been one of Doug Morris's "football buddies". Poor Dex, having to choose between his best friend and his jock friends. Poor Jonah, who may or may not lose his best friend. The next few chapters should prove interesting.

Then there's Zack. A new character! Who's straight (maybe?) but looks "faggy" according to his tormentors and even Dex. It will be interesting to hear from some of the young guys on GA about the reaction of HS kids in the deep South to kids who are and kids who look gay.

Chapter 13 is great. Sky's the Limit is a great story. And I'm sure future chapters will be just as good. Will Lori become a peacemaker for Jonah and Dex? Will Jonah be outed by befriending Zach? What if he is and his dad hears about it? What will Doug Morris do when he realizes that Jonah and Lori have invited Zach to sit at their table at lunch? What about Sky? What's he been up to? What new surprises will Rick provide in future chapters? I, for one, can hardly wait!

see now I have the urge to add... Stay tuned next week... Same Sky time... Same Sky channel.

I do agree Rick, its an interesting situation you have developed. Though I hope for the sake of not becoming too cliche that Zach isn't gay and just the other side of Masculine teenage male. Ive read far too many stories where every character involved is gay. I can think of one flaming example but Im not out to name names just point out a potential pitfall.

I am also disapointed in Dex's reaction, as a person. But I understand and can sympathize with the powers he is struggling with. Sadly when friendships are put to test over social standing the best choice isnt always the road taken. I hope Dex is better then that, youve made me like him in just two chapters.

Steve

Zach sounds like he will be very interesting!

I hope that Zach's attitudes about gay guys are explored. I write this assuming that he is a hetero who projects a stereotypical image that prevails in approximately 16% of gay men.

Tough call for Dex...will he be a real best friend? Looks like good ole Doug is about ready for a whoopin'. :2thumbs:

Jack B)

I hope that Zach's attitudes about gay guys are explored. I write this assuming that he is a hetero who projects a stereotypical image that prevails in approximately 16% of gay men.

Tough call for Dex...will he be a real best friend? Looks like good ole Doug is about ready for a whoopin'. :2thumbs:

Jack B)

What we know about Zach so far is yes, he is somewhat effiminate, but he's only 13 and believes that he's heterosexual. And I do know guys who project that image but are supposedly 100% straight. (If ANYONE is 100% straight which I highly doubt) Zach is an enigma at this point, and he needs to be. I won't say more. <carefully looks for stray goat horns and echidna spines>

Dex does have some issues to work out. -- Stay tuned next week same bat (sky)channel same (sky) bat time! LOL :lol:

Doug, hmm. Doug's character is actually based on a composite of several redneck asshole bigots I knew when I was in school. He deserves whatever happens I assure you. See -- no spoilers there. <ouch --dammit!>

Thanks for the comments!

Hugs,

Rick

What we know about Zach so far is yes, he is somewhat effiminate, but he's only 13 and believes that he's heterosexual. And I do know guys who project that image but are supposedly 100% straight. (If ANYONE is 100% straight which I highly doubt) Zach is an enigma at this point, and he needs to be. I won't say more. <carefully looks for stray goat horns and echidna spines>

Dex does have some issues to work out. -- Stay tuned next week same bat (sky)channel same (sky) bat time! LOL :lol:

Doug, hmm. Doug's character is actually based on a composite of several redneck asshole bigots I knew when I was in school. He deserves whatever happens I assure you. See -- no spoilers there. <ouch --dammit!>

Ahhem!!! I think I see a SPOILER! Two, in fact!! How do we know that Zach thinks he's straight? We know he says he is, but thinks?

And something happens to Doug? Spoilers!!!!

Oh Graeme.... I think your spines have a new mission.... :devil::devil:

I do like Zach, and I've known gay-accepting but supposedly straight guys like him. They have a rough road, sort of the worst of both worlds (gay guys often shunned them as closet cases.).

S P O I L E R * A L E R T

Great to have the two best friends back together. That once or twice in-a-lifetime friendships are to be cherished.

I never had siblings or a split family but can only guess at the trama of melding two families. And, I'm sure we'll deal with Jonah's dad at some point and his feelings about homosexuality.

The beat goes on. Good job.

Jack B)

S P O I L E R * A L E R T

Great to have the two best friends back together. That once or twice in-a-lifetime friendships are to be cherished.

I never had siblings or a split family but can only guess at the trama of melding two families. And, I'm sure we'll deal with Jonah's dad at some point and his feelings about homosexuality.

The beat goes on. Good job.

Jack B)

I'm with Jack on this one: I'm glad that Dex and Jonah have buried the hatchet! That split, though, was very well done and in my opinion very realistic! :2thumbs::2thumbs: :2thumbs:

One thing that I notice here; this (unless it comes roaring back later as a major issue) was a fairly minor event, plot-wise, BUT real life is like that: not everything is of major import. I also loved the additional character development for Dex. :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

SHORT DELAY!!!!

Rick has asked me to let y'all know that due to a computer crash, he is unable to post his next chapter. The chapter was not destroyed, but his computer access was, so this should (hopefully) only be a short delay.

Rick, sorry this happened to you, we miss you!!

CJ

Edit to add:

The wait is over, it's up!!!

Edited by C James

I loved this chapter!! :2thumbs::2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Gloria (Zach's Mom) is great!

Sky meeting Dex was very well done, and throughout there is the wedding looming. The new family sounds rather unlikable to me at the moment. I hope I'm wrong. Poor Jonah!!!

:2thumbs:

...Rick has asked me to let y'all know that due to a computer crash, he is unable to post his next chapter. The chapter was not destroyed, but his computer access was, so this should (hopefully) only be a short delay...

Didn't this also happen around chapter 11? Rick, you gotta get (or, even better, talking someone into getting you) a new box, man! Off-the-shelf PCs are inexpensive now, like $900 for a Core Duo PC with a gig of RAM and a 250 GB HDD and a 17" LCD display.

Didn't this also happen around chapter 11? Rick, you gotta get (or, even better, talking someone into getting you) a new box, man! Off-the-shelf PCs are inexpensive now, like $900 for a Core Duo PC with a gig of RAM and a 250 GB HDD and a 17" LCD display.

I might be mistaken, but I think it was chapter 11 of LiS, shdowgod's story, that got eaten by his computer (due to windows deciding to update and shutting down on an unsaved document). :boy:

Yay for Sky meeting Jonah's friends and sister. :D This chapter was a great read, Rick. :read: Thanks again for writing. :worship:

I loved that part too! :2thumbs:

I'm really wondering about the whole "new family" though. The new step=brother doesn't sound too promising! Anyone have any thoughts on that marriage/new family issue?

Chapter 16 is up and it's a great read. :worship:

The story continues to evolve nicely. I love the continued use of music - Sky singing to Jonah was a really nice touch. I fired up iTunes and in seconds had Billy Joel's Lullaby pouring out of my speakers. The song fit so perfectly here. And what a hot sex scene. Jonah fixing breakfast for everyone was a nice touch, too. Next stop, the wedding. :wacko:

The reunion was sweet, but the wedding is looming, and sounds a bit ominous to me.

That "owww, you bit me!" Was freaking hilarious!!! (and ouch!!)

Vindictive bitch gene... ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Houston, we have a problem:

David reached over and passed him the bottle of pills and dad took it and started pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Uhoh. Maybe NOW we know how Jonah's dad plans on driving all the way to NO after the wedding? This does not bode well.

Great chapter, Rick!! :2thumbs: