Oprah Alert - 1/29 Show

Jack Scribe

Just discovered that part of today's Oprah (Canada/U.S.A.) will profile two men from Texas and their adopted family:

http://www.afterelton.com/TV/2007/1/gayfamilies.html

BTW, you may recognize the contributing writer's name who conducted the interview for this article. He has also written impressive gay-themed stories.

Jack B)

• Site Administrator

Thanks, Jack! I read the article and it's just the sort of thing I like to read :great:

There are enough stories out there about the pain and suffering some people go through, so to read an article about a gay couple with kids and how the community around them is so supportive -- I think it's fantastic.

Thanks again. :D

JAMESSAVIK, YOU ARE SO WRONG FOR THAT!!!! ~falls off bed laughing~

Don't you know she could have a hit put out on you or something?! You don't make fun of OPRAH! That's like making fun of the godfather, or a gang lord!

But yeah, that's cute. :) Kids are cool and whatnot, but I don't want 'em anywhere near me unless someone else is takin' 'em home with 'em. I dunno if I'll ever want kids. Too much trouble and responsibility, and I can barely take care of myself. :)

• Site Administrator
But yeah, that's cute. :) Kids are cool and whatnot, but I don't want 'em anywhere near me unless someone else is takin' 'em home with 'em. I dunno if I'll ever want kids. Too much trouble and responsibility, and I can barely take care of myself. :)

Bite your tongue!

I agree that you're too young for kids, but my boys are the centre of my life :wub: I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have them.

thanks, Jack, for the wonderful article. I love to read more articles like these. And thanks for the heads up on the author. I'll research so I can read his books. :read:

You can find some of Josh's writing on his website at http://www.joshaterovis.com/ he even collaborated with another great author when writing "Breaking Masks" Both are very talented :2thumbs:

Bite your tongue!

I agree that you're too young for kids, but my boys are the centre of my life :wub: I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have them.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That ALMOST makes me wanna be a daddy! :D Cuteness!

I like kids... I just don't think I'm responsible enough to raise one the way they deserve... and I'd never be able to get over messing up a kid's life. And what if I did something terrible and my kid hated me? Because I REALLY hate my dad... so, I dunno, it just seems impossibly difficult. Hat's off to all you parent people out there. :)

Razor-

One never knows what the different seasons of life may bring. We really don't know who we will be 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

Many gay people have proven to be excellent parents- when they are ready and up to the task. What we go through as kids often gives us an understanding and/or empathy that str8 parents just don't come with.

Never say never. Never is long, long time.

James

My grrlfriend and I are planning to have at least one child and one of the things I worry about most is having that child/those children taken away from us. In addition to us being lesbians (well, I'm bi, leaning strongly to lesbian), my grrl is trans and we're kinky and non-conformative as all hell, so I'm concerned her family might not want us raising their grandkid(s) and will use one or all of those things to get custody of the kid(s). Which is probably paranoid, but considering the number of ways the law screws glbt people over, it's not like it couldn't happen.

But yes, great article. It's nice to know that gay parents are gaining some much-needed positive attention.

• Site Administrator
I like kids... I just don't think I'm responsible enough to raise one the way they deserve... and I'd never be able to get over messing up a kid's life. And what if I did something terrible and my kid hated me? Because I REALLY hate my dad... so, I dunno, it just seems impossibly difficult. Hat's off to all you parent people out there. :)

That statement makes me think you're mature enough to have kids -- you recognise your short comings and know what impact they'll have. When you DO think you're responsible enough, I would recommend looking into it. You'll find you'll make mistakes (I know I have) but you'll learn from those mistakes and by listening to others, you'll know what mistakes you should try to avoid.

However, parenting is not for everyone (I know some straights who should never have become parents) so don't ever feel pressured into thinking you should have kids.

Graeme :)