[dkstories] Let's Do It - Chapter 11

Would not an ultrasound (I assume they were around in the 80's) be able to determine the date of conception? OB-GYN's are easily able to predict the delivery date , which would be able to be used to determine if Brian had still been seeing Marcie at the time. Therefore, while genetic testing would prove who the father is, if the date of conception was several weeks after they had broken up, the test would be a formality.

David

Would not an ultrasound (I assume they were around in the 80's) be able to determine the date of conception? OB-GYN's are easily able to predict the delivery date , which would be able to be used to determine if Brian had still been seeing Marcie at the time. Therefore, while genetic testing would prove who the father is, if the date of conception was several weeks after they had broken up, the test would be a formality.

Actually, I can answer that one quite easily since my mentor in graduate school was one of the original inventors of real-time ultrasound technology. Yes, ultrasound was around in the eighties, but hte technology was very crude back then and the image quality was nothing like it is today. Think about the differences in computer technology - I had a Mac LC with a whopping 40 MB hard drive and 10 MB of RAM in 1989 - and you can imagine just how crude ultrasound was in the mid to late eighties. Yes, ultrasound was used fairly routinely in pregnancy already by then, just a decade after the technology had been invented, but the sensitivity to image early gestation was more hype than reality. :wacko:

Now I just hope that Brian's parents believed him when he spilled the beans. I'm not so sure. :P

Dan, once again you continue to amaze me. I never saw the story taking this direction this early. :2thumbs:

:) im so glad this was out of the way and nothing too terrible came from it. I was really worried about the Marcie thing but it sounds as if that's all worked out as well. It's time for Brian and Davey to start saving the world again :)

I am very glad that Brian was smart enough to handle Marcie as he did.

I'm astounded at the degree of acceptance (regarding time-travel) that his parents and Davey appear to exhibit, though!

I'd have thoguht that, at least, a simple prediction or two, or something that he could not have otherwise known, would have been required. Mr. Rush wouldn't count, as there are other ways he might conceivably know that.

Buuut, now we know the answer to something that has long puzzled me; how did he get "trapped" by Marcie in the first timeline?" Now we know.

I had to snicker; most of congress being wiped out.... :devil:

I also found the ending, worrisome; "Nothing can stop us now." Uhoh, that sounds like he's tempting fate, bigtime. LOL

Great chapter! :2thumbs:

Was it just me or did Davey's parents accept the time travel thing a bit too easily?

well, well, I suppose you mean Brian's parents :wacko:

First, it was my opinion too, but as they noticed all the changes between Brian before and Brian after the time travel about school, behaviour at home, dating, I think that time travel was really an explanation for these changes.

BTW its funny how good Dan can resume about 600 pages of all the DO stories in a few words :worship:

Was it just me or did Davey's parents accept the time travel thing a bit too easily?

That's just it - there's damn little in the story to give us a clue as to whether or not they've accepted the time travel thing. We're left with them taking time to "think about it". I think there's a good chance they don't believe Brian and may take action to get him psychiatric help. I think Brian should have thrown in some details on his parents that he shouldn't know about from this time line.

>_<

Can't believe I made that obvious of a slip up!

... but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks brian's parents went in the next room to figure out which mental hospital to send him too.

Actually, I think the end of the chapter would make an ideal conclusion for the tale:

Nothing else really mattered in the end, I was here, with Davey, and together nothing could stop us.

Nothing.

But as Brian's Mom notes:

"That would deserve an 'and they lived happily ever after,' but they didn't, did they?"

Since Dan has noted elsewhere, in blogs, that he has already completed at least 6 more chapters...

--Rigel