It's a shame that young gay men and women have to carry such baggage, always ready to be hurt. It is never simple to speak your feelings, but it is often ten times harder when you take that first big step as a gay person.
Short stories can have an impact for sure... I never used to think so, but I have learned a lot in writing them. So yeah, it is extremely important the reader feels he is in the moment with the characters, connecting to the words spoken, and the things and emotions around them. I can still picture that glorious, old, forgotten barn, and the multitude of dust motes up in the granary, swirled by Caleb's shallow breathing. I've been in barns just like it, and it is almost a religious feeling, these monoliths of the past enduring through time.
Thanks for commenting, buddy. I love coming back to this, reminded of how I felt while writing it. Cheers... Gary....