Jump to content

drpaladin

Site Moderator
  • Posts

    26,328
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by drpaladin

  1. And a bump to the next page.
  2. Hmm
  3. A less seen use of Mogul is a steam engine with six driving wheels and two leading ones.
  4. Mogul has distinct etymologies depending on usage. The Persian Mughal was used by the Muslim rulers of India and this Mogul is always capitalized. When used for a powerful person, it is not. The German dialect (Viennese) mugl, small hill, is a bump in a ski run or ramp.
  5. But the feeling was these were not ordinary coyotes. Animals typically shy away from vampires because they know they are apex predators, but these did not.
  6. You can find house like this anywhere. There's one here where I live in Alabama built over a hundred years ago. Portugal is next to Spain after all.
  7. I stopped reading a story here on GA not long ago when it became clear the character was going to kill a trusting beagle in some vicious way.
  8. There are always pm's, status updates, and I have an alert button. Cats, cats, cats...
  9. This was an absolutely perfect ending. It's praise I do not hand out lightly. Thank you!
  10. Shouldn't this one have been in October?
  11. Pretzel can mean to bend, twist, or contort.
  12. Pretzel is from the German Brezel.
  13. I've read studies and they are consistent no matter the time frame going back to prehistoric times and glob ally. No one time period was better or worse. Of course we can look at the flip side. If those tens of billions had lived, what would be the world population today? It's a staggerin thought.
  14. Until very recent times, the latter half of the 20th Century, it was the norm for every second child to die before the age of fifteen. Today the mortality rate is 4% with some countries achieving a 0.03% rate. If it diminished emotional attachment, it would have been through the entire breadth of human history.
  15. Palominos were very popular in westerns. The most famous palomino was Trigger, owned by Roy Rogers. Before Roy, Trigger had been the mount for Gene Autry and Tex Ritter. TV's Mr. Ed was a palomino. Stardust was another palomino and was Gary Cooper's mount in twelve westerns. Another palomino is Argo, Xena Warrior Princess's mount.
  16. Palomino is strictly a coloring, not a breed.
  17. drpaladin

    Elijah's Encore

    I have a pitchfork negator nearby.
  18. I remember when I was a boy our cook had a bacon grease container. It had a metal strainer under the lid to separate the bits out. I think she used bacon grease in nearly everything.
  19. drpaladin

    Elijah's Encore

    No spitting camel?
  20. drpaladin

    Chapter 16

    You do realize no one can take the land, not even a tribe member. It's on the reservation and belongs to the entire tribe. Even the homes tribal members live in are just occupied, not owned by individuals. It's a system with deep flaws.
  21. drpaladin

    Elijah's Encore

    You're just figuring it out?
  22. drpaladin

    Chapter 16

    What I'm missing here is why the tribe gets the money if the refuge closes. I know they are using the location on the reservation as a shield to avoid overregulation, but the tribe only has the land. Even Micco suggested the possibility of moving the refuge elsewhere. This doesn't add up.
  23. drpaladin

    Chapter 16

    How so? As long as Sam was alive, he was next in line for the money.
  24. drpaladin

    Chapter 16

    Rory could be charged as an accomplice in Sam's murder, even though she wasn't involved in the act itself. Not to mention lying to federal agents is a crime itself, plus obstruction of justice.
  25. drpaladin

    Elijah's Encore

    That would be a damn big penguin.
×
×
  • Create New...